For Sale 2 MK4 Golf GLS TDIs in Greenville, SC

Vstoryk

TDI
2006 & 2004 Golf GLS TDIs, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I have two low mileage Golfs, an '04 and an '06 GLS TDI. I bought both in 2007 and my daughter and I each drove one. I just recently cracked the oil pan on the '04, and not sure if the engine was damaged. It's the same indigo blue with black cloth interior as the '06, which I'm still driving daily and is in good condition. Both have approximately 146K miles with automatic transmission. One or two minor fender benders over the years but no major accidents, dings and scratches commensurate with their age. No rips, tears or staining of upholstery. Both have clean titles. Located in Greenville, SC.

After posting I have read some things I want to comment on: I'm a new member. I'm not a dealer or a flipper, I'm not a mechanic and I have never been employed in the automotive industry. I'm simply a lady who became a TDI owner because I wanted reliable and economical personal transportation.

Last edited:

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
Do you want to keep these if repaired. The oil pan is very easy and reasonable fix...You buy the part and I will install them for you for free....that is how the TDI club rolls. Usual labor cost is buy me/us lunch at the bbq down the street. Also happy to go through it stem to stern to see what might be needed. 145K is nothing but you will NEED to do a Timing Belt ASAP....again buy the kit from some of our trusted oem suppliers and I will do it for free. Live near Chapin and have access to full shop equipped with all of the special VW tools and diagnostic software. I have access to a tow dolly for the 04 hit me back if you are interested in keeping them

Vstoryk

TDI
Do you want to keep these if repaired. The oil pan is very easy and reasonable fix...You buy the part and I will install them for you for free....that is how the TDI club rolls. Usual labor cost is buy me/us lunch at the bbq down the street. Also happy to go through it stem to stern to see what might be needed. 145K is nothing but you will NEED to do a Timing Belt ASAP....again buy the kit from some of our trusted oem suppliers and I will do it for free. Live near Chapin and have access to full shop equipped with all of the special VW tools and diagnostic software. I have access to a tow dolly for the 04 hit me back if you are interested in keeping them
Wow! I am still trying to process what you're saying. I would truly like nothing more than to keep both of these beauties on the road for many more years. Your offer to help me do that is quite unexpected. I have only had one experience with a fellow TDI owner, a parts salesman at Vic Bailey VW in Spartanburg, who seemed genuinely interested in helping me because he liked my cars. Everyone else I have met at my two local dealerships just try to charge me an arm and a leg for every little repair. Like, well, I have VWs, so I should be able to afford it, right? I used to know a lady in Chapin but I forgot her name. I picked up rescue Cockers in the Upstate shelters and brought them to her. Chapin is not that far from Greenville, not when you have someone willing to help. I know I need to have both timing belts done by 150K, and that was worrying me greatly, because I was alternately driving both of them until the cracked oil pan. I have a proposition for you then. If I pay for the oil pan and the 04 comes back to life, I will be forever grateful. If it doesn't, I will let you have it (if you want it) for doing the timing belt change on my 06 so I can keep it. And thanks for reaching out, even if you don't have the time or inclination to take on the timing belt. It would be good to know one way or the other about the condition of the 04 engine, and that it may still have a chance to run again instead of going to the parts graveyard.

Last edited:

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
OK replacement oil pan and gasket from Peter at ID parts in Mass is $39.95 Peter is one of the most trusted TDI parts suppliers in the country. He does charge tax and freight but if you add an oil, air or cabin filter you should get over the free shipping amount. Most of us use metal skid plates to prevent oil pan damage and long term you would be well served to install one. If you want the TB done I recommend you contact Dieselgeek and order his TB kit and if you decide to install a metal skid plate I have found his very good. I also change out the coolant temp sensor and thermostat at the same time because if either is defective your fuel mileage will suffer greatly. The oil pan can be done where the car is but the TB and full check out will need to be done in Chapin as all of the special tools needed are there. Dieselgeek skid plate and tb kit will be $488 plus tax and shipping and Peter will be $108.24 before tax and shipping and includes thermostat, temp sensor and oil pan. These parts are all for the 04. If you didn't try to run it after the oil light came on you should be ok. Call me at 803-200-8655 and we can set up a time for me to come and check out your cars and replace the oil pan on the 04. We can work out any details. In the meantime go to Dieselgeek and register and also IDParts . You can set up both cars so parts are broken out for each vehicle...ADD YOUR VIN NUMBER and Peter will check to make sure the parts he sends are always exact.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Bruce that's an awesome thing you are offered. It's nice to see some old names here. Hope everyone is doing well. Wish I would've seen this when it was posted I would've of offered to give you a hand.

Vstoryk

TDI
Posting an update on this... thought it was about time. I truly believe Bruce had the best of intentions and did what he could by replacing the oil pan on my '04 to get it running again. My hardy little '04 engine still runs good, but the car has multiple other problems that I can't afford to fix, and so I'm still forced to let it go. I wish someone would take it on for restoration because it still breaks my heart to see it go to the graveyard. I know it would be a good car for many more years if the right person with mechanic skills wanted to fix it. I offered it to Daniel at Appalachian Diesel Works in Asheville for trade on some repairs on my '06, but was not able to get enough to even have the timing belt replaced. Long and disappointing story short, both the '04 and the '06 are for sale again, asking $1200 and $4200 respectively, with a $500 discount for both at $4900.

Wanted to say I don't think it was Bruce's fault that his very generous offer to help didn't last. There seemed to be an issue with using the garage where he had planned to do the repairs.

Last edited:

Vstoryk

TDI
Couldn't afford to keep them so I had to sell both both of them. Since the '06 went to a young man buying his first car and he can work on it himself I think he'll take good care of it. The '04 went to a father and son who are restoring it to resell, but at least it didn't have to go to the salvage graveyard.