ALH Injectors

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
wildn,
IIRC is "If I Recall Correctly". A full pump rebuild with DFIS is ~ $900. Run away from that "local VW shop".
I have no idea of a trusted guru in your area, but keep asking and searching. You should be able to find someone.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
DFIS can rebuild a pump starting at $680, that's just basic labor, any parts they find bad increases the cost. IIRC stands for if I remember correctly.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
IIRC: If I remember correcrtly.
It depends on what is wrong with your pump, the less wrong the less cost at DFIS, I believe
For install, find a TDI Guru if possible. I don't know what the mileage is on your timing belt/timing set, but it is only a small amount extra to completely do the timing job.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
honestly i'd ditch the shop, unless you really like them. it cost me $850 to have a full timing belt kit installed (so i can't imagine why it'd cost way more for a pump install), and that's even in a beetle. at the point of having them send to rebuild, and then install id probably just find a used one and have it installed. What exactly makes you think it's bad? also how many miles do you have on the car?

Last edited:

wildn

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI wagon 5spd! 2011 Jetta JSW TDI DSG
wildn,
IIRC is "If I Recall Correctly". A full pump rebuild with DFIS is ~ $900. Run away from that "local VW shop".
I have no idea of a trusted guru in your area, but keep asking and searching. You should be able to find someone.
Oh LOL my bad,
I have a shop I found from the "TDI mechanics" list its just he's 100 miles away, so most likely I'm going to have the car towed(AAA) or Uhaul it down myself.
That local shop quoted me $2700 to replace the pump, $1300 for the rebuild, and $1200 in labor; believe me I ran as far as I could

wildn

TDI
honestly i'd ditch the shop, unless you really like them. it cost me $850 to have a full timing belt kit installed (so i can't imagine why it'd cost way more for a pump install), and that's even in a beetle. at the point of having them send to rebuild, and then install id probably just find a used one and have it installed. What exactly makes you think it's bad? also how many miles do you have on the car?
it's at right at 200k
I just had my TB done 150 miles ago or about 2 months ago, the car has been sitting since then. For some reason, all german shops are expensive where I live. My visit to the local shop was out of convenience, they quoted me the above prices and another one quoted me $1400 to get a timing belt done. I have a shop off the TDI list(SMS European if you're near SoCal) that has been nothing short of amazing, with awesome communication and reasonable prices but they're 100 miles away from me.

Basically what makes me think it's bad is, one day and I noticed it struggled to start then I looked under and there was a puddle of diesel leaking from the IP, I started it to see where the leak was coming from and it was from the injection pump. So I ordered the two seals and VAGCOM to replace the leaking ones, I got everything in and seated and I couldn't quite get the injection quantity low enough, so I had it towed to said local shop and they may/may not have messed with the IP settings(they killed the battery in the process, hopefully not the starter) but it literally runs the same and is smoking a lot and revving really high or same as before.
Now I ordered a resealed pump from Canadacatalyst and I'm just waiting till I have time to take the car down south to have the resealed IP installed.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Just speaking from my experience of dealing with a couple of different IP's your Injection IQ is too high that is why it smokes a lot and wants to run away. Sometimes, not always, you hook up Vag-Com, turn on the key and see where the IQ is, generally speaking. Do you have the triangle socket for your IP? Please remember, if the pump cover looks like it moved, then it was too much. I suggest you take a scribe and make locator lines to return the IP too if it goes bad. To lower the IQ you gently tap the housing toward the driver's side as you look at it, if you tap away from the timing belt, it lowers the IQ, and if you tap it towards the timing belt it will raise the IQ. Here is a good link: https://www.myturbodiesel.com/d2/1000q/multi/IQ-adjust-hammer-mod-TDI.htm

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
It is possible your quantity adjuster is too far rich, that would explain the high rev and smoke. As a test make marks on where the pump top is, and as you face engine the top of the pump needs to be nudged toward the passenger side. Make marks, nudge ever so slightly, tighten the screws again and start the car. If the RPM is lower than you are going in the right direction.

Hawkins2015

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta , 00 Jetta
Also, there is a third seal to replace. You did the two with the QA, but there is also a head seal on the drivers side of the pump. It's a little more involved, but not too bad.

When my pump was leaking I ordered and replaced the same two seals and it still leaked. Ordered the head seal and replaced it, and all is good.

I agree with the above. I think your QA is adjusted out of wack. Research the hammer mod as mentioned, and go from there.

wildn

TDI
Also, there is a third seal to replace. You did the two with the QA, but there is also a head seal on the drivers side of the pump. It's a little more involved, but not too bad.

When my pump was leaking I ordered and replaced the same two seals and it still leaked. Ordered the head seal and replaced it, and all is good.

I agree with the above. I think your QA is adjusted out of wack. Research the hammer mod as mentioned, and go from there.
I took it to a tdi guru, he told me the 2 bottom seals were bad. He replaced them and got the QA dialed.

Hawkins2015

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta , 00 Jetta
If it is still leaking, there is a third seal that most likely needs replaced.

But regardless, look up the hammer mod and adjust your IQ to the 3-5 range.