Wife wacked a curb, now has vibs. Changed rim and bearing...still there

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
Hey guys so my wife wacked a curb going 30-40km/hr a month or so ago..... i took it for a drive and noticed the wheel vibrates more than the floorboard or the driver seat. The vibs kicked in around 80+km/hr
I proceeded to purchase a new 18" Bristol rim from the dealer and had it installed. Balanced the new rim to original tire and the vibe were still there HOWEVER they begin around 100+ km/hr not like the post rim change 80+ km/hr......thinking maybe it was the tire I rotated the fronts to the rear and visa versa ( if it was the tire the vibe in the wheel would disappear and just be in the seat or floorboard as it is no longer connected to the steering components no?) .... vibrations still there at +100km/hr. Also had an alignment done .... no change at all.

So I decided to work my way down the driveline to the bearing next. Changed it with a FAG bearing and its still there ... +100km/hr
What else can be causing this ? Cv joint ? If so it would be more frequent and not just higher speeds ? Bent rotor (long shot) but I feel nothing when braking.

PURCHASED NEW, Bristol 18" rim, Fag wheel bearing., alignment completed, wheel rebalanced

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
I WILL be purchasing winter tires next week with new rims and have them installed. If the vibration is still there this 100% eliminated previous tire damage / shifted belt option. If it doesn't go away back to the drawing board ...

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
It could be the axle for that side. I had something similar on my old 2002 Jetta and ended up replacing both front axles!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
And the alignment techs couldn't find anything glaring?

A vibration, as you imply, has to be something that rotates but going back to hitting a curb, I would also inspect links, as my 2015 Passat had shot links and there was a clunk and severe rocking when braking. Also, check tie rod ends and ball joint, as those are much cheaper to replace than axles.

AllanJJ

TDI
2013 Passat SEL
Every time my Passat had major vibration issues while accelerating on the interstates, it’s been 3 times I had this happen, it was due to an imbalance of the tires. Took it to discount tire and had them rebalance and rotate every tire and the issue basically went away. But in this case, you said she hit a curb, I would check the axle too. Jack the wheel in question up, put the car in neutral and turn it by hand, it should move freely and not make any sort of grinding noises. Also look under the car at the axle to see if it looks bent or damaged in anyway. I just find it hard to believe that could be the issue if they were able to get the alignment right.

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
Buying winter tires tonight. Hopefully will have them installed next week sometime. Ill let you know if that eliminate anything.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I take it there's zero play in the lower ball joint? I had a strange wobble for a bit but couldn't pin it down, then a while later my ball joint wear became obvious. I've since changed it and never had a wobble since.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
If you destroyed the wheel, the tire is definitely suspect. I don't know why no one has mentioned that.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I am surprised that the tire didn’t have a bubble in the sidewall, especially being an 18” rim. If the rim was bent enough to not be repairable, I would have replaced the tire as well. I had a tire on my passat with a bit of tread with a tear, it was in the middle of the tire and maybe a 1/4” or so wide at the base of the tread, the car had a vibration, i tried moving the tire to the passenger rear, still had a vibration. A different tire picked up a screw, i put the matching spare on, after repairing the screw tire, moved a couple tires around and took the ripped tread tire off, no more vibration, it’s my spare tire now. So it doesn’t take much to cause a vibration especially at highway speeds.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Well if you put a bad front tire on the rear you may still have vibration. A hand spin balancer such as snap-on wb200 makes it easy to check each wheel/tire for lumpiness and runout.

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
Tomorrow the new winters go On, I got the blizzaks ws90 in 215/60/16 with a 16x6.5 rim setup. I was rather surprised with the price for all new installed out the door! I will update once there on and see what happens

Last edited:

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
Got a different set of winters.didnt end up installing the 16s.
Went to 17s got a killer deal and also selling a car so don't require them. They ate for sale in the ONTARIO for sale forum