What did you do to your MK7 today?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Just be sure you get ones for the "Golf" Golf (GTI / R are different...as is GSW).

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
Cross post from the other forum... if I can get this thread to open in Tapatalk I'll add pictures, sometimes it opens, others times it doesn't...

Replaced engine and transmission mounts with 034 mounts, all new hardware. Got the wife to tighten bolts while I kept the engine/transmission in place. Found that out of the factory my transmission mount was slightly misaligned. That might explain why a dogbone insert gave me unbearable vibration... who knows? Anyway, engine mount is a little more annoying on a diesel, extra stuff in the way.

I also see why no one shows the TDI in their fitment guides. New engine mount is missing a mounting point for an existing bracket, but the bracket has 2 other mount points so is in no danger of moving around. The Superpro engine mount (which is no longer available) does show that mounting point but I don't think the TDI was on their fitment list either.

Blah blah blah... my stock mounts, once removed, could be flexed by hand which I assume isn't good. Went for a drive and it feels better going through the gears. I don't launch the car but getting a smooth start with low-medium throttle was easier.

MOST importantly to me, no noticeable difference in noise or vibration, even with the A/C on. Very happy that 034's claims held up in that regard. Their dogbone inserts will get installed in conjunction with the aluminum subframe, hopefully 2 weekends from now.

Did you end up installing the 034 dog bone insert? I picked up the same engine/trans mounts and will be installing soon. I had to remove my power flex diesel insert due to nvh. Turns out they make two and I installed the wrong one. I believe build dates before 9/15 need insert ending in 830, I installed 832. I was going to make another run at an insert.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
My current setup is 034 engine and transmission mount and 034 upper and lower dog bone inserts. It's perfect to me. No added vibrations even with A/C on. Shifting feels great. There's a little more transmission noise but in a good way. And it's not being converted to vibrations.

I had the correct power flex insert, diesel specific... It was unbearable.

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
My current setup is 034 engine and transmission mount and 034 upper and lower dog bone inserts. It's perfect to me. No added vibrations even with A/C on. Shifting feels great. There's a little more transmission noise but in a good way. And it's not being converted to vibrations.

I had the correct power flex insert, diesel specific... It was unbearable.
Did you install the Street density dogbone inserts or the billet aluminum? I’m doing the 034 street density engine and trans mounts, I’m just unsure on which dogbone insert to try next. I’m probably going to install both upper and lower 034 aluminum inserts to reduce wheel hop/engine mount damage. I can’t relive my last NVH experience, it was rattling my fillings out.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Installed these engine/transmission mounts...

And these...
(Version 1, for early Mk7s)

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
Installed these engine/transmission mounts...

And these...
(Version 1, for early Mk7s)

Thanks Bud. That’s what I assumed. Already have them in my ECS cart. Trying to win that B8.

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
Cleaned interior windshield, rearview mirrors & headlamp covers in preparation for a lengthy road trip.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Put the first coat of VW OEM touch-up (spray) paint on my (to be retrofitted) parking sensors....and I'm not liking the look of the paint. It seems WAY too dark - closer to "charcoal" metallic than "platinum grey" metallic. Might have to go back to VW to see if they ordered the wrong paint code.

The spec sheet lists the paint code as "2R2R", but everywhere I look online has 2R2R being the same product as LD7X. Not sure how that LLSD7X from my spray can plays into the equation.

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
Put the first coat of VW OEM touch-up (spray) paint on my (to be retrofitted) parking sensors....and I'm not liking the look of the paint. It seems WAY too dark - closer to "charcoal" metallic than "platinum grey" metallic. Might have to go back to VW to see if they ordered the wrong paint code.

The spec sheet lists the paint code as "2R2R", but everywhere I look online has 2R2R being the same product as LD7X. Not sure how that LLSD7X from my spray can plays into the equation.
I picked up touch-up paint from my local dealer. It matched perfectly but it was a paint pen. Didn’t even know spray paint was an option.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Hmmm, my sensors are "installed" but the bumpers are still off. I also didn't know spray was an option. I have a painter scheduled to do my sensors along with paint correction so I'll have to get with him and see if he wants me to pick up some of this spray. I think I have a paint pen from when I bought the car but I doubt if it's any good now.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Loaded it up with ~500 lb. of stuff and a crate on the roof rack and drove it to our place in Westerly. Still got 50 MPG, about 4 less than our best...

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Sadly had to take my summer wheels/tires off and put the factory alloy and snow tires on... It's snowing too soon. 😭

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Yes I did. Doesn't look too bad. I've grown to like them. I'm just missing the bumper lip to match.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I like that one of the pictures in the link describes them as Front Fog Light Eyebrow Wind Knife... I primarily think of my TDI as a vehicle that deftly cuts through traffic like a cold spoon through butter.

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
Busy install weekend. Genuine 7.5 European tail lights & power folding heated mirrors. P3 gauge. Pirelli 235x45x17 Sottozero 3 winter performance tires. And got most of my Snow Performance meth kit sorted. Just waiting on my Darkside order to properly tap for both P3 boost and meth boost. Installs were all really easy.
Honestly, only thing I’m having issues with is the P3 gauge which I thought would be the most simple project this weekend. EGT reads 32* and never changes. Boost isn’t reading vacuum. And AFR is super low, like 4.1, which I hope to god is wrong because that’s far from safe. Next up, Wavetrac for the O2E.

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
Details on the meth kit... not for me, for a friend. Do you have a build thread somewhere?
Don’t have a build thread but I can take pics when I install it. Going to be a while tho, I’ve been waiting on a back ordered part from darkside. Once received i will still have to weld a bung into their aluminum charge pipe for the nozzle.

I’m going with a basic Snow performance stage 1. That’s Darksides preferred kit. The boost switch is very basic and never fails. I only want max spray the last 10% boost to keep things cool and safe (#3 nozzle). I will be wiring in an on/off toggle so I can disable the system (I thought about using an unused button near the ESC area buttons but it seems a bit complicated).

Im going to mount a small tank on the back of the rear seat (driver side). The pump will go in the spare tire well. Electrical and meth lines will follow along the footwell trim inside the vehicle and exit out the grommet behind the battery. The boost switch and relay will be right near the battery. The meth lines will enter a bracket mounted solenoid off the battery tray. From there it’s only another 12” -4AN jumper into the bung on the charge pipe just before the 90* at the charge air cooler. I’ll be using all stainless lines with -4AN fittings. When using stainless it seems the solenoid has to go after the pump. When using rubber lines most people go before the pump vacuum side and place a check valve down near the nozzle. I’m not comfortable putting everything in the engine bay. I feel it’s safer having the meth in the trunk and I pretty much never have my rear seat down so I’m not too concerned about the rear seat mounted tank. I will still be able to lower the rear seats with the AN line length I’m using.

Not too much out there is going to get you 15 whp and torque for 400 bucks, all while keeping your engine clean and EGTs down.

The install below is a very similar route. I believe his solenoid is off his headlight bracket and his pump is in the location I would use if I ran a spare tire (which I dont) but it’s very similar to my routing.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Rear B4 Damptronic dampers, rear GTI springs, and rear height/level sensor (already there if your car has LP). the DCC retrofit continues.

Found that IRS rear damper lower bushing is 60mm wide while ours is only 45mm. This means the DCC damper bushing won't fit into the opening of the torsion beam. Switched the inner bushing from my original rear dampers. This requires some heat and a press/vice/makeshift whatever you want to use. Quite a pain and not recommended but it can be done.

Also had a scary moment when I realized the offshoot for the DCC damper connector would not clear the DEF tank on the passenger side (if installed facing in-board, like the driver side. Thankfully, it clears the hub if with the offshoot facing outboard. Very tight clearance when the suspension is unloaded but as the suspension gets loaded the arc of the torsion beam moves it further away creating more clearance... dodged a bullet there, which I had not considered, at all.

Also installed proper rear ABS sensors for ACC and rear cross traffic something or the other.

Diverb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6mt
Don’t have a build thread but I can take pics when I install it. Going to be a while tho, I’ve been waiting on a back ordered part from darkside. Once received i will still have to weld a bung into their aluminum charge pipe for the nozzle.

I’m going with a basic Snow performance stage 1. That’s Darksides preferred kit. The boost switch is very basic and never fails. I only want max spray the last 10% boost to keep things cool and safe (#3 nozzle). I will be wiring in an on/off toggle so I can disable the system (I thought about using an unused button near the ESC area buttons but it seems a bit complicated).

Im going to mount a small tank on the back of the rear seat (driver side). The pump will go in the spare tire well. Electrical and meth lines will follow along the footwell trim inside the vehicle and exit out the grommet behind the battery. The boost switch and relay will be right near the battery. The meth lines will enter a bracket mounted solenoid off the battery tray. From there it’s only another 12” -4AN jumper into the bung on the charge pipe just before the 90* at the charge air cooler. I’ll be using all stainless lines with -4AN fittings. When using stainless it seems the solenoid has to go after the pump. When using rubber lines most people go before the pump vacuum side and place a check valve down near the nozzle. I’m not comfortable putting everything in the engine bay. I feel it’s safer having the meth in the trunk and I pretty much never have my rear seat down so I’m not too concerned about the rear seat mounted tank. I will still be able to lower the rear seats with the AN line length I’m using.

Not too much out there is going to get you 15 whp and torque for 400 bucks, all while keeping your engine clean and EGTs down.

The install below is a very similar route. I believe his solenoid is off his headlight bracket and his pump is in the location I would use if I ran a spare tire (which I dont) but it’s very similar to my routing.

I ran Water Meth on my Jeep (see my sig for Jeep details). Its fun but the Meth will raise your EGT's at first before they drop. After a while the meth was getting expensive so I have not used it for while. I like your build looks great

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
Rear B4 Damptronic dampers, rear GTI springs, and rear height/level sensor (already there if your car has LP). the DCC retrofit continues.

Found that IRS rear damper lower bushing is 60mm wide while ours is only 45mm. This means the DCC damper bushing won't fit into the opening of the torsion beam. Switched the inner bushing from my original rear dampers. This requires some heat and a press/vice/makeshift whatever you want to use. Quite a pain and not recommended but it can be done.

Also had a scary moment when I realized the offshoot for the DCC damper connector would not clear the DEF tank on the passenger side (if installed facing in-board, like the driver side. Thankfully, it clears the hub if with the offshoot facing outboard. Very tight clearance when the suspension is unloaded but as the suspension gets loaded the arc of the torsion beam moves it further away creating more clearance... dodged a bullet there, which I had not considered, at all.

Also installed proper rear ABS sensors for ACC and rear cross traffic something or the other.

How much work involved to switch to a MK7 GTD IRS rear setup? That should resolve any clearance issues, no?

mayday_soc

TDI
Mk7 TDI
I ran Water Meth on my Jeep (see my sig for Jeep details). Its fun but the Meth will raise your EGT's at first before they drop. After a while the meth was getting expensive so I have not used it for while. I like your build looks great
Thats funny, my other vehicle is a Jeep too (non diesel). I put a twin screw supercharger on that and thought about adding meth but it’s not something I want to deal with while Offroad.

As far as the MK7 tho, I guess I’ll definitely keep an eye on the EGTs when I finish installing it. I‘ll most likely leave the meth off most of the time as well. I assume I’ll have the opposite problem as you, as in I never use the boost juice mix. It will never kick on with normal non spirited daily driving. My commute is only 8 minutes and I’m not at operating temp until the commute is about over, and I can’t use the meth until operating temp. I also read filling the meth tank and not using it within 30 days is not recommended due to the mix changing after exposure to atmospherics.

But due to it only costing 4/500$, being simple to install, and having positive benefits, I want to play around with it for a bit. Even if I leave it off for long periods of time (like all winter). It will only take minutes to pull the nozzle, flush the system, and refill fresh boost juice.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
How much work involved to switch to a MK7 GTD IRS rear setup? That should resolve any clearance issues, no?
Not sure it would work, reference thr last post in this thread. It would also require removal of the DEF tank and I'm in California so that's a non-starter for me. As it stands, there aren't any clearance issues once you switch the lower damper bushing to the one that will fit into the torsion beam.

The part of the damper that was close has plenty of clearance with suspension loaded. And I didn't even load it all the way when testing with my floor jack, just pushed it up enough to see how it was looking.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
2 weeks ago on the 2nd, I had some General Altimax RT43's installed on the GSW. Figured I'd see how well new all seasons handle the winter, if I don't like them in snow, I'll put the Arctics on. Ended up being $480 total out the door. All the Ecopias that were on car had less than 1/2 tread, 2 only about 4/32.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
2 weeks ago on the 2nd, I had some General Altimax RT43's installed on the GSW. Figured I'd see how well new all seasons handle the winter, if I don't like them in snow, I'll put the Arctics on. Ended up being $480 total out the door. All the Ecopias that were on car had less than 1/2 tread, 2 only about 4/32.
I have found the RT43s pretty good in the snow. And I noticed recently the ones on my MKIV are a little over half worn after 55K miles. Not bad.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
This is a cross post from another forum but from the past weekend. I'm working on several retrofits. I was pushing for a Thanksgiving weekend drive but I won't make it. Now pushing for Christmas, feeling confident, haha.

Post will be most useless without pictures. I didn't take many but I'll add them later, lots of progress yesterday/today...
- Neuspeed TDI Turbo Disharge Damper... combined with Neuspeed intake, hoping for a bit of turbo noise, not performance gains
- Sound actor retrofit complete... not sure if it will work yet, but it's fully installed and wired (should be installed before the windshield, what a pain)
- OEM front fog harness fully installed and wired, just waiting for the bumper
- PDC harness(es) fully installed and wired, also waiting on bumper
- ACC sensor harness fully installed and wired... needs remote activation, and the plastic trim piece I somehow forgot to order
- DCC harness(es) routing almost complete... fed through firewall then into each front wheel well
- Added wires from cabin to ABS Module for TPMS Set and ESC Mode select via shifter surround buttons
-- Also added clutch position switch wire... exists on 46 pin ABS diagram but not on the 38 pin (not sure if I'll need it when I switch ABS's)