Here's why you maintain your car...

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Not my car, it's a customer's. They had it towed in because it died on the road and wouldn't restart. I had an inkling suspicion what the problem was, so the first thing I did was pull the timing cover...

Several of the timing belt teeth were broken off and it appears it jumped one or two teeth. Not enough to hit valves, he got lucky on that, but enough to make it stop running. I did relative compression and it's got nice and even compression.
It had a few other maintenance related issues too. I'm wondering if the belt has ever been changed, it has 200 k miles.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I was looking at buying a beetle a couple of years ago. Manual 5 spd, worst looking timing belt I've ever seen, not broken or gouged but just old looking, the car had about 150k I figured it was original. I almost bought it just to change the belt but the seller wanted to much money for what needed to be done.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I was looking at buying a beetle a couple of years ago. Manual 5 spd, worst looking timing belt I've ever seen, not broken or gouged but just old looking, the car had about 150k I figured it was original. I almost bought it just to change the belt but the seller wanted to much money for what needed to be done.
Yeah, a lot of people don't think to do it, or are too cheap to. Another customer brought a beetle in to get the battery changed, when I started it, I could hear a noise from the engine. Took the stethoscope and checked... Bearing noise from under the timing belt cover. We told them the timing belt needs replaced. They are still driving it with the ticking time bomb. 😱

dylphil97

TDI
B5.5 Passat BHW sedan
I just had this happen on my BHW.. the belt is missing a few teeth and wont start.. belt doesnt look like it moved at all, just teeth missing.. is there hope?

Mozambiquer

TDI
I just had this happen on my BHW.. the belt is missing a few teeth and wont start.. belt doesnt look like it moved at all, just teeth missing.. is there hope?
There may be hope. I haven't installed the new belt on this one yet, but should be doing that today. If the compression is still even, you may have hope. Just don't try to start it too long.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We field countless calls from TDI owners who have parts fail as a result of neglect, either by them or a previous owner of the car. Buying any used car is a gamble, but it seems to be especially true with VW diesels because there are maintenance procedures and part specifications that are unfimiliar to many owners and the shops that service them. It's sad, because when maintained properly TDIs, especially rotary pump ones, are dead reliable.

Mozambiquer

TDI
We field countless calls from TDI owners who have parts fail as a result of neglect, either by them or a previous owner of the car. Buying any used car is a gamble, but it seems to be especially true with VW diesels because there are maintenance procedures and part specifications that are unfimiliar to many owners and the shops that service them. It's sad, because when maintained properly TDIs, especially rotary pump ones, are dead reliable.
And then when they bring it to a shop and we find all the things that need caught up with, they think we're trying to rip them off, a lot of times... There's been so many times I've recommended someone change their timing belt, or use the right oil, but they decide not to... Anyway, what's it to me...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This is why as my (and my childrens') cars age I insist on repairing anything that wears out or fails when it happens. If you keep up (a) you don't get frustrated with the car because this thing or that thing doesn't work, and (b) you don't face some giant repair bill if you try to catch up.

Mozambiquer

TDI
So, I am grateful for the customer, but I put a new timing belt and all the associated parts on his car, and it fired right up! The car has 204k miles, but still has the balance shaft module 😱
We recommended that while we were in there doing the timing belt, but the customer didn't want to spend the money. Looks like he'll probably have to budget for a new car soon... Camshaft also has excessive wear on exhaust lobes 2 and 3. But it may get him another couple thousand miles.