What did you do to your MKIV today?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Odd. On the left side of their search you can select Android, and then it will give you every head unit that has android capability. They currently list 38 head units in stock with Android Auto compatibility that fit the MKIVs. There is a link on the listing of every head unit to everything you will need to install that unit. Not sure what went wrong with your search. I find Crutchfield a pretty trusty resource for all things audio.

I am glad you found something you are looking for though. Best of luck with install, sounds like a nice upgrade.
Did you look at the specs of the head units? Everything in the search was compatible with Android "Auto". They don't sell true "android" HUs. None of my searches came up with any full Android HUs.

Android auto does not equal Android head unit. Android auto is a simplified program that interfaces HUs with phones. It gives the user limit options, features, etc. Makes buttons bigger. Cuts users off from certain features.

I was looking for info on full Android HUs. That means I can link my HU to hotspot data (via phone), and put my phone away. They can download all the apps on their own, etc. Basically a Android phone in your car. I've used "Android auto" on compatable interfaces and I don't like it.

Crutchfield was good back in the day. They had a lot of tech info and install info for vehicles. Now they charge $10 for it. As well, they are falling behind the pace of tech IMO. Hence starting to charge for basic install docs that were free for many years.

They will sure be helpful for a lot of people, just not for myself and what I'm going for.

But yes, loving my new setup. Looks like it was there from day 1 if there were 2" double din touch screens in 02 from the factory.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Put it up on ramps and finally got rid of the boost spike which was causing limp mode. Weird thing is, though, that I checked the movement on the actuator arm at least six times (movement started ~4in. Hg, stopped at ~19-20in.Hg; moved smoothly both directions) before I installed it, I've had boost spikes since I installed.

Would going to bigger injectors (.205) with the 11mm IP (auto-->manual swap) make the boost spikier?

Last edited:

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Put it up on ramps and finally got rid of the boost spike which was causing limp mode. Weird things is, though, that I checked the movement on the actuator arm at least six times (movement started ~4in. Hg, stopped at ~19-20in.Hg; moved smoothly both directions) before I installed it, I've had boost spikes since I installed.

Would going to bigger injectors (.205) with the 11mm IP (auto-->manual swap) make the boost spikier?
Yes - More Fuel, more energy in the exhaust.

4-19 is a good starting point but not a hard requirement. Within reason - you can either adjust the tune or adjust the actuator to get quick and stable response without overshoot. Every car/setup will be a bit different

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Nuje,
Adjust the actuator AND the IQ. Drive, tweak until you're happy, and I highly recommend a catch can to keep the turbo from coking up.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
To my surprise I had a "fail to start" incident yesterday. Battery was down, whaaaat? Car had been sitting about 4-5 days. Voltage on the 3-4yr old battery was at 11.3, threw my small (4 amp) charger on it for a couple hours, and bingo.
Drove around for a good half hour, charging voltage with car running was at 14.5v, by the end of my spin, down to 14.2
and battery with car stopped reading 12.8v.

So I'm poking around trying to figure out where the draw was coming from, luckily it's getting a bit dusky. I must have nudged the driver's side rear cabin light, it's a rocker switch. LED bulb, but the drain over an extended perion was just enough to preclude a start. Whew, that was simple. :)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Replaced the serpentine belt tensioner on the Jetta, ~350k miles and was the original one as far as I can remember. The damper was loose, could wiggle it around 1/4" or so and there was a random rattling noise that I'm guessing/hoping was the tensioner pulley itself. It was not loose that I could feel, but has a nice rattle to it when you spin it. Still spins free and will spin for a good 10+ seconds if you give it a twist.

Not a particularly bad job (3 bolts), but in a really tight spot so makes it a PITA. Hope it fixes the noise!
Nope - Same noise...

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Replaced the large radiator fan on my Y2K Golf. The old fan ran, but sounded funny, so since I didn't have a lot of time to play around, IDParts supplied a new fan assembly. I separated the large fan and just replaced that, figuring it would be easier, and it was all good. Before putting the old fan in the trash though, I decided to see what was what on with this fan.

Turns out one of the brush housings was partially melted and would not slide out properly. My theory (no way to prove it of course) is that the gap from that stuck brush and excess carbon dust created a overly large current draw that melted the fuse holder. And that is what caused the difficulties. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. When I get some time, I'll clean up the fan and have it ready as a spare part for the next one to die on my (have 3 possible vehicles, but 2 of them have brand new fans, so we'll see if the trucklet takes advantage of this opportunity to fail next) little fleet.

The other fun thing was some electrical stuff on my trucklet to get a fixit light (aka the CEL known and loved by all) to go off. That worked fine as well. It's really nice to have repairs happen that don't have me screaming things like, "Quit fighting me!!" at the vehicle somewhere in there.

Cheers,

PH

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
View media item 137757
View media item 137758
View media item 137756
I put 520 injectors in the golf, replaced parking brake cables, cut off someone's stupid lowering device... (See photo) changed the cabin air filter, that looked like it hadn't been done in a while...
Then I fueled it up. I got 45 mpg even on the huge ching ching injectors that were in it and without having taken it really easy.
Now with the new injectors it runs a lot smoother and has a lot less smoke. I'm sure it'll be a bit more efficient too.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
No. If you want to directly link people to your albums, you have to go in the settings and change your permissions to "registered members" or something like that.

The easier way to do it is when you're in your album looking at the image, scroll down in the window and copy the "BB code". Then paste that link right into your post. Then "post reply". If you don't like the image size, then "edit" your post, click on the image, and it will give the boxes in the corner where you can drag/resize it right in your post.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Ah that's why it didn't work... I'm not a big fan of this new way of doing the media... Anyway, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Ah that's why it didn't work... I'm not a big fan of this new way of doing the media... Anyway, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
Just copy the BB code instead of letting ppl in your albums if you don't want to change your preferences...then you can resize...

Mozambiquer

TDI
Just copy the BB code instead of letting ppl in your albums if you don't want to change your preferences...then you can resize...

Except that I'm on a phone... It's not very easy to do that unless you're on a computer.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Except that I'm on a phone... It's not very easy to do that unless you're on a computer.
When you're on your mobile, and your in your image, scroll down to the bottom. You'll see BB code right there. You can click on the little "square" to the left of the link. That will copy the code. Post it the same way I described above (paste) it. The only difference on mobile when you go back to edit your post if you want to resize, you'll see the "pixel" value at the beginning of the code. You can change this number to resize the photo instead of dragging the corners like you would on a pc.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
My son recently moved to Western MA and today I loaded up IBW with some of his remaining items (he does a lot of woodworking) and drove them out to him.

There's a table saw and a planer in there, too, up near the front seats.

When I got there I realized the first trip I made out to the Pioneer Valley with one of my kid's belongings was in 2004 when my daughter started her freshman year at UMass Amherst. We made that trip in IBW, too. I can't count how many times I've driven IBW out and back on the Mass Pike in the last 16 years.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
My son recently moved to Western MA and today I loaded up IBW with some of his remaining items (he does a lot of woodworking) and drove them out to him.

There's a table saw and a planer in there, too, up near the front seats.

When I got there I realized the first trip I made out to the Pioneer Valley with one of my kid's belongings was in 2004 when my daughter started her freshman year at UMass Amherst. We made that trip in IBW, too. I can't count how many times I've driven IBW out and back on the Mass Pike in the last 16 years.
Ahhhh I miss Mass. All my family is from there...I was the only one not born there. I got accepted to UMass for one of the schools I applied to. Uconn as well. Couldn't move out there from the west coast though. Love it too much out here

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Painted my sunroof cover black while still in the car. One thin crop cloth, a roll of blue tape, a piece of cardboard, and a can of DupliColor Vinyl and Fabric paint were all that was needed. Now to just finish the headliner recover and get it reinstalled and my black interior retrofit will be complete.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Changed my oil and gave it another once over. Noticed my vnt lever is leaking a bit of soot. Odd.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I fixed my sun visor Homelink transmitter cover that kept falling off as the retention clips break off with age.
Foam tape around the edges, trimmed off flush, as well as a bit in the middle lower portion.
For the first time in months I don't have to push the buttons with a zip tie stub...

Mozambiquer

TDI
Yep - Tight one way, spins the other, not loose. Thinking it might be a cracked side skirt flapping against something
Might be good to make sure it's not timing belt idlers... Other thing could be ac compressor. My sister's alh had a timing belt idler seize up with only 40k miles on it. Thankfully I caught it before it broke the belt completely!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
When I went to open trunk yesterday it wouldn't open. I could hear the movement, but still was latched. So today the seats got folded down. Tried to open it with emergency handle, still not opening. Took all trim screws out, and the 2 nuts that were on back of license plate bolts fell out(they fell inside when I replaced the plate frame back in May) . Luckily, that was the problem-one of the nuts must've prevented latch from opening, as all is good now. Next week will be oil/filter/fuel filter and air filter change, and switching to snow tires. Think I will buy a new set of matching snow tires, the ones I have now are a pair of 195/65/15 and a pair of 185/65/15, they are all Winterforce, but are discontinued. I really wish they made non-directional snow tires, sucks only being able to rotate just front to back on same side....

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Aren't you only supposed to rotate front-to-back on these cars?

Also: pretty sure my ContiWinterContact TS830P tires are not unidirectional, only "this side out".

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I think that's more for directional-tread tires. Only time I did the "just F-R swap" rotations was with the two sets of directional Toys, all the other tires have used the standard 4-tire cross rotation pattern as far as I know.

I put new license plates (same number, just had them "reissued") on mine last night - the plates I've had on for most of the last 19 years were worn out - paint peeling off the both, front badly sandblasted from 400K miles on the nose, reflective coating shot on both.

Some years back, NJ switched from "embossed"(stamped) plates, to "smooth" ones where the markings appear to just be painted/printed on, so the plate's completely flat. Font is slightly different, which is taking a hair of getting used to, but tucked into my TDIClub frames, it's not quite as jarring as I expected it to be.

With a TDI, even license plates are a "wear item"!! 😁

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Least you took care of your license plate. There's lots of people over here that's and the white areas of our plates to remove the reflected bit, so they're harder to read at night.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I'm going to cheat and put what I did to the car yesterday and today ;-O

1) Installed the evolution skid plate that I got from ID parts ... looks like a nice unit ..
Took awhile longer to install because I was fixing my plastic side skirts (ripped / torn in spots) as I was going along and had to wait for the epoxy to dry .... Also I was missing a couple of the circular pieces that attached the side skirts to the mounting studs so had to run to the dealer (luckily they had 5 in stock so I grabbed all 4 that I needed figuring replace the 2 old ones as well).

Overall I'm happy with the plate BUT a little disappointed that the bolts holding on the oil drain access panel aren't countersunk and flush with the rest of the skid plate (ironically, pics I saw to install the skid plate seemed to have flush mount bolts).

Another thing I wished the skid plate had was holes for the side skirts to screw into because now there is a small gap where aluminum plate and plastic side skirts meet (not to mention the small holes on the metal side pieces)... poor little engine will be shivering when it gets cold! ..... (actually NOT since I have a Frost heater still waiting to be installed!).

Noise level at idle through 35 mph seemed to be the same as plastic shield ... have not had a chance to go faster yet

Hopefully the plate will keep my oil pan safe this winter from chunks of ice, truck treads or pesky protesters may pop out of nowhere on the highway ! ;-O

2) Removed the U Haul Hitch from the car .... 2000 lb rating / 200 ln tongue rating .... glad the bolts were pretty rust free so removal was pretty easy ... I removed it to save weight since I don't have anything small enough to tow with the car .... saved 13.5 LBS ... not as heavy as I thought but hopefully good for 1 MPG Ha ... well at least the car is lighter in the rear and heavier in the front (due to the skid plate install above) so maybe that will help in the snow .... every little bit counts!

3) Replaced the glass on my outside mirrors with factory blue tinted mirror glass ( hopefully they'll cut down on glare at night but since my car was getting an inspection I have not driven it at night yet. .... we'll see how well they work.

4) Replaced my 60 durometer CTS brand dogbone for 034 brand dogbone .... BIG difference ... 034 is a great product (of course only on for 1 day so far!) .... firm , not harsh etc..

The CTS dogbone was a little suspect from day 1 when it replaced my OEM dogbone after about 300K miles .... no real big difference in feel after replacing it.

Ironically, the CTS bone was lighter in weight than the factory mount so I wonder how the rubber was denser (harder?) yet lighter? ....anyways, it was getting loose (I was worried a CV joint or something was going bad with the slop I had ) BUT after putting in the 034 bone in no more issue of "play" or shake on engine shutoff....

it'll be interesting to see how well the 034 boneholds up .. it does seem pretty heavy BUT sadly my helper installed the 034 bone before I had a chance to weigh it .... now I can't weigh it unless I take it off but then I need new bolts ....sigh ... so much for science !

More to come ! .... I can't wait for my next driving run to see how these changes make the car feel.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Also I was missing a couple of the circular pieces that attached the side skirts to the mounting studs so had to run to the dealer (luckily they had 5 in stock so I grabbed all 4 that I needed figuring replace the 2 old ones as well).
When I was finishing up my clutch job and installing my new CTS dogbone afterwards, I realized I was missing those zip nuts or whatever they call them (well, I knew I was).

I finally pony'd up and paid $7 on Amazon for 20 of these and they ended up getting to me next day:

4) Replaced my 60 durometer CTS brand dogbone for 034 brand dogbone .... BIG difference ... 034 is a great product (of course only on for 1 day so far!) .... firm , not harsh etc..

The CTS dogbone was a little suspect from day 1 when it replaced my OEM dogbone after about 300K miles .... no real big difference in feel after replacing it.

Ironically, the CTS bone was lighter in weight than the factory mount so I wonder how the rubber was denser (harder?) yet lighter? ....anyways, it was getting loose (I was worried a CV joint or something was going bad with the slop I had ) BUT after putting in the 034 bone in no more issue of "play" or shake on engine shutoff....

it'll be interesting to see how well the 034 boneholds up .. it does seem pretty heavy BUT sadly my helper installed the 034 bone before I had a chance to weigh it .... now I can't weigh it unless I take it off but then I need new bolts ....sigh ... so much for science !
Interesting that you were suspect of the CTS. I didn't feel like dropping the coin on something billet and fromy my research they (CTS) had a pretty good following/liking on here for a well priced and quality dogbone mount without going back to OEM.

Yes it's lighter weight than factory, I'm sure that's because of the casting "quality" between the 2 pieces, I'm sure VW OEM is held to a higher standard for porosity allowed in the casting, etc. Doesn't have to do with the rubber durometer, it's in the aluminum. So it has to do with manufacturing process. I do like billet though, it will always be way better as far as strength and rigidity since it's made out of a solid block of ore rather than cast.

If you really wanted you could weight it, takes 30 sec to remove and install that thing, but I of all people understand not wanting to do it twice.

I can say though from my time with the CTS (several weeks now) that there is a SIGNIFICANTLY better feel over stock. It could be that my leaks over the years deteriorated the rubber and it was just plain worn out, but you can really feel the difference in start up and shut down shimmy, or lack thereof now. The whole engine compartment just feels tight. I couldn't tell you if there's a difference driving, takes some magical powers to feel that unless there was no rubber left at all!