Red Beetle Rehab

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Thanks.
Unfortunately there hasn't really been anything super interesting to report on lately, but the car is still coming together! And there hasn't really been all that much for deep motor work for teaching others, but for the sake of reading something and seeing start to finish...
Hopefully the thread will inspire somebody to get one back on the road or something like that.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Thanks.
Unfortunately there hasn't really been anything super interesting to report on lately, but the car is still coming together! And there hasn't really been all that much for deep motor work for teaching others, but for the sake of reading something and seeing start to finish...
Hopefully the thread will inspire somebody to get one back on the road or something like that.

Any progress or leads on the power draw?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Any progress or leads on the power draw?

Unfortunately no. I checked the alternator and it seemed fine. Next is to check the starter/solenoid. Thats all thats left i can think of...
If its not that i might tinker with it a bit more, but i may have to send this one in.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Unfortunately no. I checked the alternator and it seemed fine. Next is to check the starter/solenoid. Thats all thats left i can think of...
If its not that i might tinker with it a bit more, but i may have to send this one in.

Did you remove the big lead coming from the battery to check the alternator?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
No i touched red on alt case, and black on the stud thing (the thing they told me to on YouTube). Had 530-760 on different touches to the stud(might be meter batt, or connectivity with the semi corroded case and stud).

Negitive on the case, and positive on the stud and i got open loop, or on 2 touches .001. So i thought ok right?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
No i touched red on alt case, and black on the stud thing (the thing they told me to on YouTube). Had 530-760 on different touches to the stud(might be meter batt, or connectivity with the semi corroded case and stud).

Negitive on the case, and positive on the stud and i got open loop, or on 2 touches .001. So i thought ok right?

I've not heard of checking a diode in that manner, maybe...I dunno. If you unhook it and your battery doesn't die then that's it or you could also measure current between the alternator and the lead...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, daa. Ill just unplug it. Idk the diode meter way seemed fast so i did that, but the cars sitting there anyway so I'll try that to be 100% sure its good. Thanks!!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I had unplugged a few other things just to be sure it wasn't those but it turned out not to be those functions. Idk why i didn't think of that with the alt.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, daa. Ill just unplug it. Idk the diode meter way seemed fast so i did that, but the cars sitting there anyway so I'll try that to be 100% sure its good. Thanks!!

I'm saying to unbolt the lead on the back of the alternator...not the plug

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, sounds good. Ya the lead is what i was touching with the meter....
Im not exactly an electrician... but have a general idea of things and i figure if someone can make it then it can be fixed.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug

I’m in, 2002 green diesel bug

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I like it!! I see your paint has held up really well. I also kind of like the spoiler... That's not stock is it?

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 golf 175k (totaled, sold) 2000 golf tdi 375k (Malone 1.5) 2002 green diesel bug
I think it’s factory (style?) spoiler. That’s sun faded, windshield cracks, hood has a bunch of rusty paint chips (rocks?), driver door near the handle chipped, leather driver seat is all split, leather door panels and the headliner need attention. Glow plug cel.. recently passed inspection; titled, reg’d and tagged.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it’s factory (style?) spoiler. That’s sun faded, windshield cracks, hood has a bunch of rusty paint chips (rocks?), driver door near the handle chipped, leather driver seat is all split, leather door panels and the headliner need attention. Glow plug cel.. recently passed inspection; titled, reg’d and tagged.
I seen an orange one before but it was a Gasser 2.0.

Oh so you just got the car and its a lil bit of a fixer upper? If you're not planning on having it repainted i have a bit of an easy fix for the door handle chip. It's pretty common in the Volkswagen Beetles both of my cars have it. I have fixed it on the green beetle (GlowBug) before it got too bad, and need to do it soon on the red one so it doesn't rust.

zaeli

Veteran Member
TDI
I seen an orange one before but it was a Gasser 2.0.

Oh so you just got the car and its a lil bit of a fixer upper? If you're not planning on having it repainted i have a bit of an easy fix for the door handle chip. It's pretty common in the Volkswagen Beetles both of my cars have it. I have fixed it on the green beetle (GlowBug) before it got too bad, and need to do it soon on the red one so it doesn't rust.

Bug runs strong. Came with parts and tire chains..$1100. I might diy the interior issues, want tint, 2” lift, grabbers, Malone 1.5.. I’ve got a 2000 silver golf tdi malone 1.5, 374k

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I love the 2 inch lift on the beetles. If you haven't already check out the "easy lift for under $40" thread. That's what I used to do my lift, and I love it. It has held up to Minnesota winters, and some serious potholes/bad roads. I live in the boonies, so the dirt roads can get pretty rough lol

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Glow then do the ASR mod......you won’t have spinning a spinning wheel when roads are wet or snowy.
Basically it’s a cheap form or posi traction for the front wheel drive of the car using the ABS pump.
All you have to do is replace your and pump assy with one that has come off a gasser version that had ASR.
Depending on your year car it’s either a long connector on the ABS or two smaller connectors.
The two connectors are for the older years.....I believe 99.5 to 2001, maybe 2002 and the single connector is maybe 2002 and on....
You can put a switch in to disable ASR like the gassers or not.....the light is already wired into the cluster and works.
I’ve done this to all my TDI’s and it makes a difference for where I live up in the hills with wet roads and the winter...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Glow then do the ASR mod......you won’t have spinning a spinning wheel when roads are wet or snowy.
Basically it’s a cheap form or posi traction for the front wheel drive of the car using the ABS pump.
All you have to do is replace your and pump assy with one that has come off a gasser version that had ASR.
Depending on your year car it’s either a long connector on the ABS or two smaller connectors.
The two connectors are for the older years.....I believe 99.5 to 2001, maybe 2002 and the single connector is maybe 2002 and on....
You can put a switch in to disable ASR like the gassers or not.....the light is already wired into the cluster and works.
I’ve done this to all my TDI’s and it makes a difference for where I live up in the hills with wet roads and the winter...
I might have to look into that. Seems heck of a lot cheaper than putting LSD into it. I was driving the glowbug up in Duluth last winter and while the roads were not icy I was going up one of the steepest Hills I have ever climbed, and had to stop halfway for a light (dumbest design). The road was steep enough I was actually somewhat afraid that when I took off again I would start sliding back down the hill. I started moving forward but there was definitely a lot of slippage with the wet and Sandy conditions. Had to keep letting off the gas a little bit to let it grab and get a little more traction to pull itself forward.

Thanks for the info, and idea! I had no clue you could do that. I like it when people share helpful knowledge!

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Got it! Finally!!! The parasitic draw came from the starter area so tomorrow i have to check the solenoid/relay and get a new one.
So good to have this figured out. Thanks to the TDI folks who helped me track this, and pin point.

Power build update: Im buying low mileage (5k ish miles) pp520's this week. I am then planning on having them mounted by a local diesel injector shop.
Cannot wait[emoji16][emoji3]

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

Another day another mile! For the last month the car has been sitting waiting for it's pp520's to be mounted and calibrated. I am happy to report that they are now in, and a stage 3 tune from malone is under way!! Car is pretty peppy after the nozzle upgrade, and is definitely fun. This is now my full time car as i have sold the GlowBug, So it is in a sense the beginning of a new era. My first car, and the car that brought me here (TDI club) is now gone, but i still have a tdi and am excited for the new adventures to come! I am still keeping the GlowBug name. and have added the decal to my new car. Plus everyone knows me as that, and even those living in the area that don't know me know my cars for how eccentric they are lol.
Things coming up in the next few months after the stage 3 will be most likely be a pd150 intake, stiffer dog bone bushings, and maybe an aluminium intercooler. From start to finish this has been a fun experience, and ive learned a lot. A lot of work has been done and there are a couple little things to be done in the near future, but the majority is complete and ready for the next 100k.

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The stage 3 was installed tonight. GreenGeeker and i took it for a drive, and oh my goodness it was great! I'm just as fast as my brothers grand prix gt that's making 200hp and getting 25-28mpg avg but I'm still getting 45mpg. I absolutely love how i can have this much power, and torque when i want it and still be getting great highway mpg. I love this car.

The only things that still need to be done are a few odds and ends. Windshield washer fluid pump is not working, axle is rattling a bit on hard pulls so i need a rebuild (just have to figure out which side), make sure it's up to date on rust stopping and prevention, and front driver tire has a slow bead leak that drops 10psi over a few days.. Other then that I would say this car is complete and ready for the next 100k! I may do a couple more posts of the finishing touches if people would like (state so maybe?), otherwise I may do a walk around video and show what the car looks like now and call it a finished thread.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
That’s great, I also have a stage 3 Malone tune with sprint 520’s. I absolutely love.
i might have to install an in lift pump as I’m hitting a wall on acceleration in the upper band.
Enjoy the ride !

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
That’s great, I also have a stage 3 Malone tune with sprint 520’s. I absolutely love.
i might have to install an in lift pump as I’m hitting a wall on acceleration in the upper band.
Enjoy the ride !
ok, ya it's a great feeling, 1st-4th pulls hard and i bet it would be even better with the stock tire size. Took a trip this morning and am getting about the same mpg's if not a little better. I will find out soon for sure how much better. Had to break it to my friend that my car now has a better 0-60 then their v6 mustang(auto), and still getting 45mpg+ 😁 <- notice I'm not frowning lol! next race is a early 2000's Miata that's got some mods, but i can't remember what. That one sits pretty low and is light so it will probably have me.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Been a while, but here is a small update. Things still to be replaced, apparently i should have replaced all fluids, and a few other wear and tear items that will always need work at some point or another.

156k and this is what i found for transmission (manual) fluid today 😖bleck. I had started to have notchy shifting going into 3rd and 5th, guess it was very well due for one of these. I should've done it when i got the car a year ago. My poor car and what i make it go through...

I replaced it with fresh clean syncromesh
Next on my list when i have time is a brake fluid flush, new glowplugs, and installing my bilstien HD's.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Just passing thru, glad to see it's still getting the TLC it deserves!
Hey! Yep she's still out on the road and getting well cared for! Best car I've owned!

Update: Two days ago i changed the oil and filter. I also put new glow plugs in for winter, as i was still running the ones it came with. The last thing I have to do before winter is get an even bigger battery. I have an oversized one in it right now, but Greengeeker reccomend that it still wasn't big enough for Minnesota winters.

The car currently has 162k on it and has been wonderful. I've replaced a lot of parts, and i think that im reaching that point where it'll go for the next 50-100k without work except for oil changes.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I also recently installed my HD's and love them. I don't think their too stiff and for the roads I drive I have yet to bottom out. I have still yet to find a place i can't drive here in MN. Non of the roads/trails have been rough enough. Obviously rock crawling isn't an option, but all else for road use i have done more then a lot of the trucks around here lol.

This summer I took my atv up north for a ride with some friends from church, and we had a good time. This was my first time taking a trailer quite a distance, so it was nice to actually see how much fuel i was consuming. I also found on a straight run i can pass vehicles easily enough as well. When i pulled in to the trailer parking space there were two guys working on a honda foreman. They stopped, gave a long look, and when i got out said "you can pull a trailer with that thing?" To which i laughed and explained how it does very well pulling, and still gets about 30mpg.

This was an interesting/strange idea. I got these rims with the car and they were starting to rust bad, and while i didn't really care a friend of mine had just payed grands to get new rims and a crazy nice suspension set up on his car (also red). His rims were a similar color, so i wemt down to Walmart and found the best gold i could. I stripped the rims of paint and rust then paint them. As you can see it umm, looks interesting to say the least. I always have had a problem with blending in with the crowd😂.