AAZ exhaust manifold alternatives

MountainhighTDI

TDI
03 Golf
I'm pretty sure I just got scammed out of a hard to find AAZ exhaust manifold. Seeing how they are so elusive, is there a solid alternative that works with stock Vanagon diesel engine mounts? I'm in the process of converting my 89 Vanagon to a mechanical 1z.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I'm pretty sure I just got scammed out of a hard to find AAZ exhaust manifold. Seeing how they are so elusive, is there a solid alternative that works with stock Vanagon diesel engine mounts? I'm in the process of converting my 89 Vanagon to a mechanical 1z.
1.6td manifold and turbo will clear the 50 degree mount.
trapezoidal manifold part # 068129591G

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Last edited:

MountainhighTDI

TDI
03 Golf
Cool, thanks for the info. I know there are some loose mk1-ish diesel manifolds in the local yard...although I'm not sure if they're Td or not but I'll certainly go check!
I'll look down the Lithuania avenue too, thanks for the suggestion.
Is the AAZ supply pretty much gone these days?

MountainhighTDI

TDI
03 Golf
no doubt the supply has diminished somewhat but people getting out out of the IDI scene and becoming less visible online might have as much to do with it.
Yeah I believe it. Looks like the Lithuania company doesn't ship to the US. You must be in Canada, eh?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Canadacatalyst.ca has good stuff

MountainhighTDI

TDI
03 Golf
I heard back from CA catalyst...they have one, but it's 250+ shipping us...damn!

Has anyone fit the 028-253-033-S instead of the R?
They appear to use the same 3 bolt turbo flange and I'm sure the head flange is the same 8v style, but what I'm unsure of is the placement of the turbo...if it's in the same position as the 028-253-033-R.

Thoughts?

MountainhighTDI

TDI
03 Golf

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
As I understand the afn manifold is almost the same as a BHW manifold, just the BHW has an egt probe in it already. Not sure how the fitment would be. Another thing you could maybe do is use a 1.5 NA manifold and build an adapter. I did that with my caddy.

MountainhighTDI

TDI
03 Golf
Thanks Moz, good idea. This tdi will be going in at 50 degrees in my Vanagon, so my options are somewhat limited if I still want the turbo to drain!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
As I understand the afn manifold is almost the same as a BHW manifold, just the BHW has an egt probe in it already. Not sure how the fitment would be. Another thing you could maybe do is use a 1.5 NA manifold and build an adapter. I did that with my caddy.
i believe the afn/bhw manifold requires the drivers side mount to be modified. It also puts the turbo much lower and farther out than the AAZ or 1.6td manifold so drainback issues are reintroduced.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Cleaning my garage today and found my last trapezoidal AAZ manifold, in case search brings someone to this thread some day and they're on the hunt.

MountainhighTDI

TDI
03 Golf
I just wanted to do a quick update to this topic. I ended up with the 028-253-033S and it seems like it will work out just fine with the factory Vanagon diesel engine mounts. It seems like another solid option to the hard to find 'non egr' AAZ manifold. The AFN definitely won't work, ha!

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!