What did you do to your MKIV today?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
OOOh, it does now! I might have been a bit quick off the line for my above post.
Ok there are 2 ways to do this.
The first image I posted of the toothless wonder I used the "gallery embed" function within the reply. In order to do that, you have to make sure the privacy settings on your galleries allow at a minimum the "registered users" toggled for it to come up in line. At first I had privacy just set to "me only".

The second image I had a second window open with my gallery and opened the photo and used the link under "copy image BB code" which allowed me to just paste the link in-line and you don't have to worry about any of your album settings. It's like using the link from Imgur, same concept.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Got my golfer licensed and driving! Here it is sitting with it's diesel family. Two TDIs and the old idi Ford ranger.
After driving the golf, the Passat feels less powerful, even though I have a maf code I need to figure out.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Question is now what head to replace it with. The bright side is no glass was broken, but how did this expert get in?
I have a Kenwood DNX571HD that I had in my 03 JSW and am going to install it into my 14 JSW.
Sound was great in the 03.
Has navigation in it.
I bought the Sirius adapter also.
Got the adapter cables from Crutchfield.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Happily I still have stock head unit. I used to leave my 85 Jetta td unlocked in Portland, OR so nothing would get broken, and pocket the faceplate with me. I even left windows cracked so they wouldn't smash it before checking the handle. Someone tried to pry the steering column plastic off, breaking some plastic, but not the piece that enables them to steal the car. If it drives, they'll steal it. After my many such stories, I always lock it, and if I end up paying for an all new vacuum actuated door lock system, at least the damage is mine.

Today I replaced fuel filter and installed the .205 wuzetem nozzles. Got a little seeping fuel on bottom of #1 injector. Probably needs a redo even though I got them really clean, seated with slide hammer and retorqued hold downs 4 times.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Replaced the egr flex pipe from turbo to cooler with a spare I had, after filing the flanges flat again. Just couldn't wait until the new one showed up. It's been getting colder here in the mornings so I have to defog my windows, and I got tired of being choked out by diesel exhaust at stop lights.

Oddly enough, it took care of this whooshing noise that I've been experiencing since I began modding my car. Makes me wonder if that pipe has been cracked for the last two years, and finally got bad enough to where I could find it. Eh.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
In the late 80’s I had a blitz safe and glued the Honda radio blank to the front. Had a hidden switch to activate the motorized door. Wish I had pictures of some of those things from back then.

I recently spent a full year looking for an OEM radio for our Audi TT w/ Sat functionality.

To make this MKIV relevant, I have a couple old double DIN OEM VW HU’s with codes if anyone want something for a really good price.

Last edited:

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
I'll keep you in mind if something happens to my HU. I was thinking about you today while moving around my engine cover pop off kit so I could turn a wrench on the injector nuts. If I remember right, I got it from you, and I am happy to have it. If I didn't remember right, just go along with it haha

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Changed out the noisy snows for some regular tires on a set of Hakkunamatta(sp?) wheels. Examined the take offs, and I think one of them wasn't even round anymore. No wonder they were so noisy and transmitted so much vibration. This different set is making my car act like it is brand new. Yay!
So, in 5th gear, it was still noisy and vibrated. I decided to replace with a new inner CV joint in place of the one that I swapped. The other one, when swapped, was just fine.

I also checked the transaxle. The main vibration was only in 5th gear, which made me wonder if there was a problem with my 5th gear set. Such as losing the lubricant out there and having just that gear wear terribly. But I loosened the bolts and lubricant drained out, so I think I'm good.

Replaced the CV joint 2 days ago - Friday. Used a Meyle kit. The joint seemed OK. The heat treating on the outer race seemed thinner than that seen on other joints, but maybe I'm not perfect in my perceptions. So as long as it lasts I'll be fine.

I didn't use the new boot because the old one was OK and I wanted to do it as fast as possible - i.e. in the car and not pulling the half shaft completely clear of the car. That worked out OK as long as you undo the 3 bolts below the ball joint at the end of the control arm.

The Meyle grease seemed OK. The Meyle grease has added carbon that has the appearance of very fine graphite particles. This is opposed to the OEM grease which is very thick and very black.

The Meyle spring clip that is supposed to pre-load the CV joint, well, I am glad I retained the old one. I am talking here about the washer like item that goes on the half shaft before the CV joint. I have seen some kits that supply two of those spring clips, one where the inner side is smooth, and the other with little serrations that match the 'teeth' on the end of the shaft. Mine only had the smooth one, and it is too large to be stopped where it is supposed to in order to retain the CV joint. I am glad I kept the old one and reused it here.

Meyle's kit also has 6 new bolts to bolt the CV joint to the transaxle flange, but while they are pretty and black, they are also hex not XZN type. I reused the OEM bolts as I know what I'd end up doing the next time I had to remove that CV joint.

All in all, the Meyle kit appears to have a good CV joint and good grease, but the ancilliary hardware means to me that GKN's kit is a better idea.

Oh, and the new CV joint has resolved the 5th gear vibration problem. Yay! Now I just need to resolve my a/c issue...

Cheers!

PH

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
On my son's '02 Golf: Rear shock was rattling, couldn't tell if it was a shock or the mount. We put on new Bilstein TCs and mounts. Lower rear bolts are a bit of a PITA with the Metalnerd extenders for his 2" lift. When we got the wheels off I saw the rear brakes were totally done (I don't recall when we last replaced them) so we put on new pads and rotors. Rattle gone, and the car stops better.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I got the same conclusions as you, Powderhound, but have yet to try a GKN kit too. Keep the original spring washer and clip for the inners.
cheers,
Douglas

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
My Mkiv wagon no longer sounds like a tea kettle. The lower EGR pipe had cracked clean in two. Swapped it out with a known good one from a part out along with new gaskets and pinch nuts and it sounds much better now. Surprisingly, the job went very smoothly - almost too smoothly - so I'm worried something isn't right lol!

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Passed another milestone (er, kilometerstone ??😄)

Not too many issues getting there. Original clutch and turbo, used injection pump installed at 385k.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Today I installed replacement radiator fans into my wife's NB, since its large fan is no longer playing along, and has been that way for some time. I used a set of fans I bought from Peter 6 YEARS AGO (!!) (the invoice was July, 2014).

I guess the warranty is probably no longer valid, but I'm expecting the fans to soldier on anyway.

The hard part is all those bleeping fasteners you have to deal with to get the front clip of a NB off. Sheesh! I'm glad that job is done.

Now if I can figure out what is wrong with the controls of the a/c on my Golf. No fans when the a/c is turned on and key on, but no engine start. The fans work, so is this a guarantee that the FCM is toast?

Cheers,

PH

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Today I installed replacement radiator fans into my wife's NB, since its large fan is no longer playing along, and has been that way for some time. I used a set of fans I bought from Peter 6 YEARS AGO (!!) (the invoice was July, 2014).

I guess the warranty is probably no longer valid, but I'm expecting the fans to soldier on anyway.

The hard part is all those bleeping fasteners you have to deal with to get the front clip of a NB off. Sheesh! I'm glad that job is done.

Now if I can figure out what is wrong with the controls of the a/c on my Golf. No fans when the a/c is turned on and key on, but no engine start. The fans work, so is this a guarantee that the FCM is toast?

Cheers,

PH
Gotta do that on my golf too... I noticed that the fans weren't coming on. I also got pulled over for having a license plate light out. (Not a ticket able offence here, just more like an excuse to make sure you're not drunk. I wasn't. 😀

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The bright side is no glass was broken, but how did this expert get in? Expert in that a nifty tool was left behind.
What's the door lock cylinder look like? The Mk4 is/was notorious for easy break-in: big screwdriver, bop it with a hammer (or solid whomp with heel of hand), and then give it a twist - behaves same as the key at that point. Unlocks doors, lowers windows if you hold it, doesn't set off alarm.

I replace the driver-side lock in my Mk4s now for that very reason - I put a dummy blank in there, just like the other three doors.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What's the door lock cylinder look like? The Mk4 is/was notorious for easy break-in: big screwdriver, bop it with a hammer (or solid whomp with heel of hand), and then give it a twist - behaves same as the key at that point. Unlocks doors, lowers windows if you hold it, doesn't set off alarm.

I replace the driver-side lock in my Mk4s now for that very reason - I just put a dummy blank in there, just like the other three doors.
Soo... What do you do if your battery dies?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
So no lock, no valet key function, you MUST have a good fob. And the battery in that has to be good too.
I've been surprised to hear so many tales of radios et al getting stolen. I did lose some tools and an ancient GPS a year or so ago, but then I'd forgotten to lock it up. After reading Nuje's post, at least that's what I assumed. Maybe not.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Soo... What do you do if your battery dies?
I only have ever had Golf or Jetta wagon, so the three times I had battery out of the car while doing some work and needed to lock it, as posted above, simply had a bungee or cable around one of the rear door interior handles; give it a yank and then open rear door. Failing that, easy enough to reach to the rear door, too.

In the 10+yrs I've had these cars with this mod, this has caused me exactly zero issues (he says....hoping he didn't just jinx himself).

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
H8 Battery Upgrade

Woke up this morning bright and early before work. Went to go grab a cut of wake-me-up and my trusty H7 battery tried to turn the starter over and cranked once. I have zero parasitic drains, took care of those years ago. There was no battery failing warnings or anything. It worked great for the last 6 years then the temps dropped last night, and I came out to it dead. Jumped it with my truck, fired right up, alternator was putting out 14.4 V.

Went and got my coffee, normally I'll turn it off in the drive-thru's because you can't hear, but I opted to keep it on "just in case". Drove it home, parked, started work, drank coffee...came out an hour later and tried to start it. Same thing. Checked the battery, it was below 9V and wouldn't take a charge.

So, battery search time it was.
Was looking into some Bosch AGM batteries until I did some reading on here and it seems they are a no-no for these cars. So, I wanted to get the max AH that I could, large CCA's never hurt either. I could go with another stock H7 series or I could mod for 30 minutes and run the H8. So I decided on that route. Here's the result:

Modify the battery tray back corners:

You need to do this because the "foot" of the H8 battery on the backside towards the airbox runs full length of the battery, and it's slightly longer. There's also a tab on the floor of the battery tray that I leveled out so the battery would sit flat.

Also, you may be able to modify the battery skirt, but I opted not to and just put it on the shelf. The stock bracket pushes the battery under the back shelf after your mod and secures it just like stock. No issues there. That skirt isn't structural anyway.

But then there's the issue of the fuse block that sits on top of the battery that connects to the skirt and "clips" in to the sides of the skirt (that are now gone).

I just used 4 small pieces of industrial strength velcro (on on each foot) of the fuse block then stuck the other half of the velcro right to the battery. It will hold just fine (it's been holding my ballasts on for the last few years as well and works great). Maybe someday I'll come up with something more elegant, but for now it works just fine as long as the glue holds.

Final Result:

Battery:
  • Item Number: SLI49H8M
  • Brand: Duracell Ultra
  • Voltage: 12
  • Format: BCI Group 49
  • Lead Acid Type: Starting
  • Cold Cranking Amps: 900
  • Capacity 20hr: 100AH
  • Chemistry: Lead Acid
  • Cranking Amps: 1105

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Well installed my new jl audio amp to replace the one I overheated (sat at the airport with the windows closed in the middle of summer).... all is well now!

replaced the little center caps for my longbeaches....

she goes into the shop again Monday. Suspension upgrade to FSDs. I was right: the suspension got beat to hell on the roads in the south side...

For the turbo they took measurements of intake/output plus the oil flange was oriented wrong. I have the tune from malone and will stay with a 3bar map until I am sure she can handle a WOT rum without blowing up (long story).

so parts are on the way!

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Was looking into some Bosch AGM batteries until I did some reading on here and it seems they are a no-no for these cars.
I have been running AGM batteries in all my MK4s for 4-5 years now with zero issues in Canadian winters. I used to swear by OEM batteries from the dealer, but I had less than stellar results with them after manufacturing moved to Mexico. Decided to try AGM from Canadian Tire (not much more expensive than the dealer when on sale) and haven't looked back.

Simon

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I have been running AGM batteries in all my MK4s for 4-5 years now with zero issues in Canadian winters. I used to swear by OEM batteries from the dealer, but I had less than stellar results with them after manufacturing moved to Mexico. Decided to try AGM from Canadian Tire (not much more expensive than the dealer when on sale) and haven't looked back.

Simon
I think they can/do really well in extreme temps which is good. I'm really not in anything that extreme anymore, after reading I didn't want to deal with any potential electrical issues (overcharging, undercharging) as I've gotten this car solid as far as that goes. Maybe they don't have those issues anymore and can be used more reliably with our systems, but they seemed to be hit or miss. Either or, I solved any issues by just going bigger:) Tends to work. Plus, the H8's were cheaper around here than the H7 so I thought why not. Took me 30 min to mod.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CarPlay in the Mk4 for $150.

$80 for 2DIN Android head unit (Podofo); $70 for CarLinkit adapter.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
CarPlay in the Mk4 for $150.

$80 for 2DIN Android head unit (Podofo); $70 for CarLinkit adapter.
Looks awesome. I did an Android HU in my truck and love it. I haven't bit the bullet yet for the car though. Have a link to the model?

Also just curious, but what's the benefit of having Android Auto with a Android HU? I know Android Auto basically can convert a non-android HU to have all the auto benefits, but with an explicit Android HU it's like having your phone in your dash...

With mine in my truck, all I do is mobile hotspot with my phone. Since it's using data through my phone, I can use any app that Android allows (can download it through google play or side load it). So my messages can be done straight from the HU (not mirroring), WhatsApp, youtube, Pandora, etc...all standalone apps on there.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did the 5 brake light mod on my dad's tdi, he had a wide assortment of wrong bulbs in there originally. Now all the brightnesses are the same from side to side.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Did the 5 brake light mod on my dad's tdi, he had a wide assortment of wrong bulbs in there originally. Now all the brightnesses are the same from side to side.
I think this is one of my favorite mods on my Golf. Except I can't see it. But I know it's there...👻

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks awesome. I did an Android HU in my truck and love it. I haven't bit the bullet yet for the car though. Have a link to the model?

Also just curious, but what's the benefit of having Android Auto with a Android HU? I know Android Auto basically can convert a non-android HU to have all the auto benefits, but with an explicit Android HU it's like having your phone in your dash...
My head unit is Podofo something something (available at Amazon as well).

Android Auto basically replaces the usual phone-style/size interface with big fat (i.e., easier to read and touch while driving) text and icons. I do have AutoMate (another Android app launcher sized for car interaction), but being an iPhone person, this gives me CarPlay, which I understand (and therefore like) better.

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
My head unit is Podofo something something (available at Amazon as well).

Android Auto basically replaces the usual phone-style/size interface with big fat (i.e., easier to read and touch while driving) text and icons. I do have AutoMate (another Android app launcher sized for car interaction), but being an iPhone person, this gives me CarPlay, which I understand (and therefore like) better.
What size double dins fit our cars? Also did you originally have the dash pocket? I have the dash pocket and a single din in there now (originally had a Monsoon) so I'm guessing I need to delete the dash pocket and use an install kit, but my searching has come up empty. One install I watched a video on said you need a canbus adapter for the MKIV, when I installed my Kenwood I certainly didn't...