What did you do to your MKIV today?

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Mozambiquer Nice work!

Today I managed to flush brakes and clutch. The clutch shifts surprisingly better. The motive bleeder was a major struggle to get working without leaks. I screwed the cap hard enough to flex the entire reservoir before it held pressure, which it did after loosening it a 1/4 turn.

I'll have to post a picture of the rear brakes I replaced a month ago, to go with IBW's plug of the freemax rotors. The yearly inspection won't pass brakes with rust anymore! So I painted the dust shields and calipers and replaced the functioning rear caliper pins, because they were rusty on the outside, and mechanics see that and tell me I need new calipers. I can see why people who don't do their own work just buy a new car.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hey could I get ya to chrome my valve cover too? ;)
But for real, looks super nice!

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
It was a long night, but I got the car started at the stroke of midnight! It was so nice! The car had been sitting for two years! Then I still had church this morning... Coffee time! ? ☕

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hey could I get ya to chrome my valve cover too? ;)
But for real, looks super nice!
Actually, that's not chrome. That's polished aluminum. The boss's kid did it. I could get a price on what it would cost to have yours done. ?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Got my clutch job finished up this morning and took her for a drive.

Big thanks to @hey_allen for helping me wrestle that transmission back into place, it wasn't easy!

New flywheel, rear main seal, 5th gear gasket, diff flange output seals, VSS, transmission mount, dogbone (hasn't shown up yet though) and the typical clutch kit stuff.

Pedal feels incredibly light now. 550+ mile break in period to come.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Put .205 injectors on the '03 Golf. With the 11mm IP, that should be sufficient to give me some decent pop with a Malone Stage 3 tune...which is up next on the docket.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Put .205 injectors on the '03 Golf. With the 11mm IP, that should be sufficient to give me some decent pop with a Malone Stage 3 tune...which is up next on the docket.
Looks like you've fallen down the hole of modding ;)

On another note on my car, I did a quick check up and cabin/engine air filter replacement now that all the smoke and ash has cleared... And found my egr pipe from turbo to cooler has split.... That explains my very poor fuel economy since last fillup.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Nero,
Install a block off plate, leaving it all intact, and dial the cycle back in VCDS. You'll pass visual emissions check. And with any luck you might not throw a code.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nero,
Install a block off plate, leaving it all intact, and dial the cycle back in VCDS. You'll pass visual emissions check. And with any luck you might not throw a code.
I have a block off plate, I took it off because my car is one of the few unfortunate that logs a fault. We don't have visuals on obd2 cars here, but I still like having my dynamic egr for fast warm-ups.

Hopefully that's my only poor fuel economy issue. I know eventually I need to change out my injectors. I have two bleeding down, but gotta save the money first. Definitely going to go with something besides bosio this time.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"going to go with something besides bosio this time"
Wuzetem .216s, Cascade has 'em I think. Personally I think the warm up time thing is over rated. With a good t-stat
I've got no issues in the winter. Mind you I'm not in a particularly cold climate, single digits in the winter overnight are very rare.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We see freezing temperatures here often in the winter, but mostly floats around 35-45 I the fall. I guess I'm a wuss and like my heater to work NOW :)

I was thinking wuzetems off of suggestion from Franko6 as well, just money at this point, cause I'm going to do a big rebuild here next summer, and trying to decide if I want to reuse my 2001 block that's in my car, or hone out and rering a 2003 block I have. Stuff to ponder.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I was thinking wuzetems off of suggestion from Franko6 as well, just money at this point...
I love that injectors/nozzles are so cheap for this car. Eventually I'll upgrade mine once the OEM's go, but there's no sign that they're quitting right now. But eventually I'll want a bit more "sport" out of this car, nozzles and a tune at least.

Compared to my Cummins, where the injectors are $2,800+ for a set:eek:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
New timing belt two weeks ago, and asked my mechanic what he thought was wrong with my clutch. He advised that I not try driving it home. So now I've got a new clutch too. Ready for winter.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
New timing belt two weeks ago, and asked my mechanic what he thought was wrong with my clutch. He advised that I not try driving it home. So now I've got a new clutch too. Ready for winter.
So did you get the info from your mechanic on what was actually wrong with the clutch?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Looks like you've fallen down the hole of modding ;)
You mean it took me getting to the .205 injectors, having already done the 5sp. swap, MFSW retrofit, double-DIN head unit with backup camera, Qi-charging mount, 2.5" downpipe, and beefed-up suspension to have "fallen down the modding hole"; damn - I thought I was already in way over my head! :D

Speaking of which....took it out on the highway with the .205 injectors (having moved up from manual .186 nozzles) and 11mm pump and really - I'm not sure I need the tune. It already responds and accelerates really well, no smoke. I think I"m going to run for a while like this and see what kind of mileage I get out of it and possibly leave it as is.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My dad's car is a manual swapped car with .205s put in it. No tune. Other than the swap and nozzles it's 100% stock, and it has enough to move out of its own way. But I like my car better :)
Ironically I can see on my scangauge when the egr pipe leaks more than others, because my instantaneous fuel economy TANKS badly.

tom2turbo

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
Cleaned up the mess from radio theft last night. Sigh, it was a great head with CD and GPS with paid up Garmin data. Question is now what head to replace it with. The bright side is no glass was broken, but how did this expert get in? Expert in that a nifty tool was left behind.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Cleaned up the mess from radio theft last night. Sigh, it was a great head with CD and GPS with paid up Garmin data. Question is now what head to replace it with. The bright side is no glass was broken, but how did this expert get in? Expert in that a nifty tool was left behind.
This is the worst. When I lived in Providence RI around y2k, I literally couldn't keep a radio in any car I had. I had this 1986 Landcruiser that the radio was stolen out of. Took me forever to replace the broken triangle window and another forever to replace the radio. Literally the day after getting a new radio in someone smashed the same window and stole the radio again. It was even parked in a different neighborhood in the middle of the day. One single day later. It was like the thieves had an observation network. "He put another one in, go get it out!" After that I just made a metal faceplate and gave up on a radio altogether.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I've always removed the faceplates on CD changers. If they can't see the bells and whistles, no point in a thief going after it. Not worth jack if the controls aren't there.

That being said, in my truck I invested in an Android head unit. It's a single din with a detachable 8" touch screen. I love the thing. It's basically my phone in the truck. Can even have the same apps. Don't even have to look at phone in the vehicle. It's nice because I can hotspot off phone if needed, runs my backup cameras, gauges, diagnostics, maps, etc.

Takes 2 sec to pop the screen off and put it out of sight. I thought about putting one in the car but my cupholder above would probably block it. I just have a simple kenwood Exceleron deck in the car, which serves it's purpose. Music, radio, bluetooth.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Story's like these made me concerned when I had to replace the head unit in my wife's nms here recently, especially since there's times she forgets to lock the doors. She doesn't go into Portland often so there's that.
On another note I just have a basic Kenwood single din in my mkiv that's lasted three cars. Before I sell a car I just pulled it out.
These cars are easy to jimmy the door locks open with a slim Jim, but it should still set the alarm off. Hope it doesn't happen again.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I've always removed the faceplates on CD changers. If they can't see the bells and whistles, no point in a thief going after it. Not worth jack if the controls aren't there.
It had a removable faceplate that I conveniently left in a door pocket for the thief. What gave me wonder at the time is that they just bet on the fact that faceplate would be somewhere in the car before breaking the window as it was not visible.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Story's like these made me concerned when I had to replace the head unit in my wife's nms here recently, especially since there's times she forgets to lock the doors. She doesn't go into Portland often so there's that.
On another note I just have a basic Kenwood single din in my mkiv that's lasted three cars. Before I sell a car I just pulled it out.
These cars are easy to jimmy the door locks open with a slim Jim, but it should still set the alarm off. Hope it doesn't happen again.
Back in the 80s I had a Peugeot that had its stereo stolen once a year for four years, usually at the Boston airport. Finally I got a benzi box (anyone else remember those?) but the key was to leave the stereo at home when you were gong to the airport, and also leave the car and trunk unlocked, so if someone wanted to see if it was hidden in the car they'd not cause damage when gaining access. Great setup.

I think the JVC head unit in IBW cost me about $25. I rarely lock my car as there's nothing of value in it. And I'm pretty confident no one is going to steal an old VW with a manual transmission.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
I installed a new layer of heat proof(foil coated) sound insulation foam on the underside of my engine cover. Took me a whole hour and I would like to happily report that it made just about zero difference in sound levels inside or outside the car. I even busted out a free decibel level app. Maybe it will warm up faster with that nice foam and foil above the engine? Or maybe keep out the radio waves that the tech companies are sending out in the environment to take control of our engines?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Krash, no functionality
Ugh, this irks me. There's no way to post a dang image anymore without having it linked to albums? I went in and changed my album privacy settings to "registered users" instead of "none" (for viewing). Hopefully that does it. But what happened to in-line images??

Test#2: