Exhaust Valve "Flapper" Delete 2009 Jetta TDI

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
Hello TDIClub!

I have plans to remove the "exhaust throttle valve" and the "NOx Storage Catalyst (NSC)". I believe one or the other is causing a bell rattle noise when making turns such as a right hand turn. My plans are to reduce exhaust restriction parts, failing parts, and some weight reduction. Oklahoma does not enforce emission checks, and is the state with many trashy roads, potholes, uneven lanes, etc. My plan is to replace both pieces with a pipe. Which leads to my main question.

Can deleting both of these cause the car to jump into limp mode?
If i delete these will i have to get the car ECM programmed and tuned?

Im hoping i can do this and keep the factory ECM tune

Here is a diagram that should match my car.

I still have the DPF filter and EGR system on the car.
Im not really sure as to what purpose the Exaust valve is for as the only other diesel vehicles i drive are 18 wheelers and they dont have this type of garbage installed on the exhaust. Just EGR,DPF, DEF, and Muffler.

Edited

I understand and acknowledge the following.
  • These modifications are a violation of federal emissions regulations
  • Neither TDIClub nor any person taking action or inaction on its behalf, other than the content poster, will be held accountable for the content in said messages
  • It is up to each individual vehicle owner or operator to take responsibility for his/her actions

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you want it gone, you'll need to make it all gone.... and get the software changed. You can't just remove that one part and leave everything else (including the software) intact.

Straight pipe kits from the turbo all the way back, with or without a muffler, exist. They fit perfectly, give the car a mean growl, and with a modest software change, the power output can be kept pretty close to stock 140hp, but your fuel economy will jump up. The oil will stay cleaner longer, and you could perhaps double the interval since soot loading will decrease DRAMATICALLY.

Downside: the car will have a start-up puff like a lot of older diesels do, may white smoke some in very cold weather until it warms up, and it WILL take longer to warm up. It will also make some minor visible smoke on hard acceleration (not much), and you may detect some smell if sitting in traffic.

There are also some delete kits that offer a simple one-way catalyst (like PDs and VEs had), that can mitigate much of the above downsides.

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
If you want it gone, you'll need to make it all gone.... and get the software changed. You can't just remove that one part and leave everything else (including the software) intact.

Straight pipe kits from the turbo all the way back, with or without a muffler, exist. They fit perfectly, give the car a mean growl, and with a modest software change, the power output can be kept pretty close to stock 140hp, but your fuel economy will jump up. The oil will stay cleaner longer, and you could perhaps double the interval since soot loading will decrease DRAMATICALLY.

Downside: the car will have a start-up puff like a lot of older diesels do, may white smoke some in very cold weather until it warms up, and it WILL take longer to warm up. It will also make some minor visible smoke on hard acceleration (not much), and you may detect some smell if sitting in traffic.

There are also some delete kits that offer a simple one-way catalyst (like PDs and VEs had), that can mitigate much of the above downsides.
Okay, i will have to start saving for this then.
Will i also have to strip out the egr system as well? Or can i keep it on if i get a kit?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Just a FYI but I live in a smog check area and this is my 1st DPFdiesel. I would have loved to put my 11 on a strict diet but was forced to just cut calories with Kerma's non delete diet plan type tune. I haven't annually smog checked yet but the doctor likes the improved gastel track digestion. I've watched the soot production scale and wow, am I satisfied.

Just saying you may not have to turn vegan necessarily but just cut the red meat.

Ok. In happy for now with a good non deletes tune results. Maybe that will work for you? Best luck.

Hayze

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI 2.0L
Just a FYI but I live in a smog check area and this is my 1st DPFdiesel. I would have loved to put my 11 on a strict diet but was forced to just cut calories with Kerma's non delete diet plan type tune. I haven't annually smog checked yet but the doctor likes the improved gastel track digestion. I've watched the soot production scale and wow, am I satisfied.

Just saying you may not have to turn vegan necessarily but just cut the red meat.

Ok. In happy for now with a good non deletes tune results. Maybe that will work for you? Best luck.
I live in Oklahoma, the feds dont care if i drill a hole in the hood and weld a stack out of it. Since its already looking like i need to get the car programmed, might as well gut everything on exhaust + EGR, and see if i cant take it to a tune shop and do it for less the cost. I find it very unethical to spend $600 for a programmer that im only going to be using 1 time. "1 Time". ONE TIME.

I personally am not a fan of DPF filters to begin with, they are ticking time bombs. When i was driving a company semi truck it caught on fire while sitting at a stop light doing a regen during rush hour traffic. Had the fire dept. put the fire out and half the cab of the truck had a hole melted in it. Talk about diets and emissions? Lets talk about safety instead!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
.. Talk about diets and emissions? Lets talk about safety instead!
I totally agree. If only i lived in a free state too. These are the compromises the greener than thou"s impose on us.

Until I can shake the smell of this polital corrupt state, its the best shadow option. I own a non DPF Ford. Part of the enjoyment is to have a Prius tail you on a hill climb. As Monte Pythons Holy Grail says "I fart in your general direction" (California)

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
One of the many reasons to live in FL. " Live free or die" Haven't been to a emission check in 10yrs. And no state income tax to boot.!!!