Polar FIS pf04 pros & cons

reason you purchased a Polar Fis unit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dlhovland

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf Tdi manual transmission. Wife's car a 2014 toured v6 Tdi
Good to hear back from you on the Kenwood/maestro & Polar combo. I am really interested in any conflicts the 2 may/will have with each other as I will be installing my Kenwood with maestro harness soon.

What is your present status on the combo? I may have to reconsider using the maestro harness. I would much rather the Polar data over the limited mkVI avalible data the maestro can offer.

Are you ok with a p.m.?
I have a 2013 JSW I was looking at the maestro site there are several different model available. Which one you recommend. And can you see no egr temps ect without the polar unit

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I have a 2013 JSW I was looking at the maestro site there are several different model available. Which one you recommend. And can you see no egr temps ect without the polar unit
I have the Kenwood/Maestro package waiting for install so I cant answer you on exact avalible features yet on Maestro. The Polar has EGR % but no EGR temp. The Polar is up and running. Great addition. No EGR on the o.e. display either. The avalible information on my 11 is very generic and limited. Probably no different than your 13.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Long read, didn't get through it all but I am buying one tomorrow so I'll be around to read the rest and start my questioning and posting!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Long read, didn't get through it all but I am buying one tomorrow so I'll be around to read the rest and start my questioning and posting!
I think youll really like it. Your input and findings will help all.

Ive been watching the mk7 forum as I kind of thought about a 2015. Im coming away with the impression although it brings features like improved lighting it has aditional issues with the more complicated DPF systems. Both the A3 and mk7 tdi seem to have less of a dieselgate warrenty extention. Not only that but the Polar seems to so far be non compatible with the mk7.

Here is a post from KERMA that is a great help in understanding DPF operation

------------------------------
There are several criteria for DPF regen

1) soot loading: This is usually the limiting factor and what triggers regen most (all) of the time. It is determined 2 ways, Measured soot and calculated soot. Measured soot comes from the d/p sensor. Calculated soot comes from the ECU's internal model, based on time and how much load is on the engine. You can see both of these numbers in VCDS. One thing you will likely notice, "calculated" soot is usually higher than "measured" soot. if you pay close attention, you will also see that "measured" soot can increase, and also decrease due to passive regen starting at ~350-400C. But "calculated" soot only increases with time and proportional to load. You will also recognize that regens are only triggered on "calculated" soot load. This is not only because the number is usually higher, but the ecu developers deemed it "more accurate". In the EA288 cars the trigger is set at 24g.

2) engine operating time: in this application the time is set to an impossibly high number like 32767 minutes of engine run time, so it will never trigger a regen.

3) Distance between regens, set at 750 km.

4) Fuel burned, setpoint is ~120 liters. About 30 gallons, so at 40 mpg that works out to about 1200 miles.
Each or any of these criteria could trigger a regen. Usually, it ends up being the dpf soot loading because that ends up being way more conservative than the other trigger points. After regen these counters are reset to zero.

DPF pressure reading is in hPa or millibar. So when you see 300 it is NOT 300 PSi, but 300 mbBar... more like 4 psi or so. 1 Bar = 14.7 psi

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I think youll really like it. Your input and findings will help all.

Ive been watching the mk7 forum as I kind of thought about a 2015. Im coming away with the impression although it brings features like improved lighting it has aditional issues with the more complicated DPF systems. Both the A3 and mk7 tdi seem to have less of a dieselgate warrenty extention. Not only that but the Polar seems to so far be non compatible with the mk7.

Here is a post from KERMA that is a great help in understanding DPF operation

------------------------------

Soot loading and watching regens are my biggest interests at the moment. Always wanted one of these for our 2k10 GSW but never got around to it.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Soot loading and watching regens are my biggest interests at. the moment. Always wanted one of these for our 2k10 GSW but never got around to it.
Since I now understand that "calculated soot, or !soot m gr" seems to be the regen trigger, and soot m gr is ACUAL soot load reading. Ive dedicated a Polar fis page to the 2 soot readings for comparison. Since the tune, the acual soot load is only50% or LESS than VOws predetermined soot load. Good freeway runs the soot will stay at 0!

I have 180 miles since last regen (got home pre regen). I havent figured out yet what caulculated !soot level will trigger regen. It should be soon. This is mixed/mixed county road & some freeway. No long constant freeway. BTW 2015 mk7 tdi triggers regen @ 24.5. !soot supposedly. My Regen Req is presently @ 6.0 (7.0 being max before regen, ff01 not in regen/ff02 in regen)

The first set of pictures is @ around 100 miles. The 2nd set @ apx 180 miles. Im anxious to see how long apx. 5.0 m gr of soot take to burn off?

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
My !soot reading triggers a regen at 24.0 every time. Like clockwork.

When I compared it to the actual soot reading, when the regen was done, it read -15 m gr. I don’t know how it could possibly have a negative milligram reading. So I don’t monitor that one anymore.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
My !soot reading triggers a regen at 24.0 every time. Like clockwork.

When I compared it to the actual soot reading, when the regen was done, it read -15 m gr. I don’t know how it could possibly have a negative milligram reading. So I don’t monitor that one anymore.
Thats weird. My acual soot always goes to 0. Ive just added !soot and not yet seen them together AFTER a regen, but will soon.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking over my (limited) pre tune and (alittle more) post tune info according to Polar input I come away with:
* less soot production, (soot m gr @ apx. 5.0 "regen" vrs. apx.15 pretune). So far active regen has always been triggered when calculated (!soot m gr) level hits 24 m gr. If acurate the tune has 1/3 soot production?
* Only 2 pretune "miles between regens" readings. They showed mid 300 mile range. Since tunes regens are 200 miles or less apart? Did it regen @ calculated 24 m gr.'s pretune also? Why was pretune regen almost double mile spread? I believe my inconsistant freeway/town driving may be the factor?
* according to fuelly.com my mpg has gone up a couple mpg.

My !soot reading triggers a regen at 24.0 every time. Like clockwork. When I compared it to the actual soot reading, when the regen was done, it read -15 m gr. I don’t know how it could possibly have a negative milligram reading.
What was your soot load right before regen?

Yellowsubmarine, lol, it is my car. I added a polar fis p04 to my 14 passat about 18 months ago. Last week, i was leaving work, my passat lit up the dashboard (abs, traction, tpms, flasing glow plug, airbag) and would not move forward. A scan of the car leads to multiple no communication and canbus faults. Just trying to find a source, the polar fis is out
Up and running?

This has my interest piqued! I have been delaying tuning until my warranty runs out,!
I think if your car is error free in top condition a tune may or may not outweigh the remainig warrenty? I have never done a tune but that in itself proved no big deal. Would I have done it if my major componts were possibly due? no. If I had 4 or 5 years warrenty left? No.
But with a new Dpf, misc major, running 100%, error free vcds scan and the warrenty only having 6 mo left... Ill gamble switching tune back if I need the dealership work? Ive established a good past couple warrenty & paid visits. So...

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Next regen update... Sorry no pictures this time

I've established that the (!soot) constantly hits 24.5 m/gr @ 180 miles (active regen trigger)
The "actual" soot was just over 5.5 m/gr @ 180 miles (1/5 what VW guesses w/ !soot)
The car was driven 7 blocks and started active regents immediately after entering freeway
5th gear @ 65mph, DPF active regen @ apx. *1150, apx 10 miles = zero (0.0) soot
Cooldown /countdown = 7.0 to 0.0 ("reg req") reset @ 190 miles (mi st/mile count start over)

In summery

@ 180 miles the VW factory set program hits 24.5 m/gr = active regen = reset @ 190 miles
Actual soot very minimal, regened in apx 10 miles @ *1150

Note
Info collected while using Karma tune, not sure if O.E. differs. Any input would be great

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Jello what firmware are you running?

I thought I updated last night but when it was plugged in nothing happened.

I have downgraded to 02.09RD. Going to try it again - fingers crossed!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So the colour is not anything to do with the plug... It's in reference to the DASH.

3.x.xxWb installed and I have screens! Now to use your info above to try and figure this thing out a bit!

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Jello what firmware are you running?
I thought I updated last night but when it was plugged in nothing happened.
I have downgraded to 02.09RD. Going to try it again - fingers crossed!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
So the colour is not anything to do with the plug... It's in reference to the DASH.
3.x.xxWb installed and I have screens! Now to use your info above to try and figure this thing out a bit!

Hope this helps. I've never really screwed with this update and such until diving in with the polar & now the tune... So...

BTW did you have an accurate oil temp with the newest update. I only get -76* or 32*
depending on setting choice. They (polar) supposedly fixed that with the newest update

Gritz

TDI
2013 Golf 6MT
Installed my polarFIS yesterday with the 0.3.0 beta firmware. I have the same 32* reading for my oil temp. I feel like it just isn't supported by our cars, hopefully I’m wrong. Anyone messed around with the reverse mirror function? Mine is very inconsistent. Sometimes it returns to correct position, other times it points to the sky.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed my polarFIS yesterday with the 0.3.0 beta firmware. I have the same 32* reading for my oil temp. I feel like it just isn't supported by our cars, hopefully I’m wrong. Anyone messed around with the reverse mirror function? Mine is very inconsistent. Sometimes it returns to correct position, other times it points to the sky.
Never tried the mirror thing yet.

Ever run the 0 to 60 times? I ran 2 consistent @ 9.009 with traction on and Karma tune. Id like to see stock and Malone times and soot levels.

Got pre tune stock VWs soot 1st pic. Karma tune soot loads 2nd pic. So far input has suggested soot apx half after tune.

O.E. tune

Karma tune

Last edited:

Gritz

TDI
2013 Golf 6MT
Never tried the mirror thing yet.

Ever run the 60 second times? I ran 2 consistent @ 9.009 with traction on and Karma tune. Is like to see stock and Malone times

Got pre stock tune VWs post Karma soot loads. So far input has suggested soot apx half.

Haven’t ran any 0-60 times yet. Currently i’m stock as far as powertrain goes. I’ll get some stock runs in the next few days and see what i clock. In a few weeks i’m getting a malone stage 2 tune with dpf and egr deletes, and see what the times look like then.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
0°C Oil Temp reading hmmmm

Noticed the speed is consistently 5km less than indicated. Would explain (knock on wood) years of good luck.

Got to watch my 1st active Regen on Friday. 310km when it triggered from 7.0-1.0.

EGT increased from 250-300°C
DPF Out jumped by about 330°C for the duration

I've been trying some of the Advanced functions but just keep getting errors, 6, 5, 4, 3...

- Automatic passenger mirror auto tilt option.
- Enable / Disable American DLR.
- Enabling / Disabling daytime running lights.
- Enabling / Disabling one touch closing windows.
- Enable / Disable hazard warning in case of sudden braking.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
0°C Oil Temp reading hmmmm

Noticed the speed is consistently 5km less than indicated. Would explain (knock on wood) years of good luck.

Got to watch my 1st active Regen on Friday. 310km when it triggered from 7.0-1.0.

EGT increased from 250-300°C
DPF Out jumped by about 330°C for the duration

I've been trying some of the Advanced functions but just keep getting errors, 6, 5, 4, 3...

- Automatic passenger mirror auto tilt option.
- Enable / Disable American DLR.
- Enabling / Disabling daytime running lights.
- Enabling / Disabling one touch closing windows.
- Enable / Disable hazard warning in case of sudden braking.
Oil temp 32* or -76 ha you pick. My big complaint to Polar, they said the latest update should fix it. Guess not.

192 miles (310km) between regens. That seems to be every bodies magic number. Are you stock tune?

Is 626*f (330*c) EGT & 330*c (572*c) DPF out as hot as it got? My EGT is over (600*c) 1100*f @ regen. DPF out unknown. Ill watch that one.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
Oil temp 32* or -76 ha you pick. My big complaint to Polar, they said the latest update should fix it. Guess not.

192 miles (310km) between regens. That seems to be every bodies magic number. Are you stock tune?

Is 626*f (330*c) EGT & 330*c (572*c) DPF out as hot as it got? My EGT is over (600*c) 1100*f @ regen. DPF out unknown. Ill watch that one.

Tune free for the moment. I have great dreams of Malone & Rawtek rumbling away but my wallet keeps saying, NO!

I'll watch the for the peak temps next go round. I'm interested to see when/how often the passive regens occur. Many a time in town I get home to the RPMs up and fans on high. If I have time I'll just park it and let it run thru.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Tune free for the moment. I have great dreams of Malone & Rawtek rumbling away but my wallet keeps saying, NO!

I'll watch the for the peak temps next go round. I'm interested to see when/how often the passive regens occur. Many a time in town I get home to the RPMs up and fans on high. If I have time I'll just park it and let it run thru.
Unfortunately I didn't log much pre tune info. for comparison previous to the Kerma tune.

As far as Ive seen the "passive" is just that. Just like a Cat. converter once the DPF heats up it burns of soot. Not like an "active" burn but for my tune it seems to almost remove the lower soot output of the new tune. The only proof is one pre tune picture with soot m/gr @ 17 vrs now with tune at the same miles it reads around 5.

Your input will be great.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Woo hoo! Took the JSW a 350 mile run the other day and got 295 miles before an active regen. Notice the "soot" level @ 0.0 m/gr, right before the "!soot" hit the active regen trigger @ 24 m/gr.! My pretune actual soot numbers were around 17 m/gr.

This tune is amazingly clean. So clean the soot stays at zero by just passive regeneration on the freeway. The whole cycle.

Right before an active regen

Look at pretune actual soot not long before an active regeneration

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
I got home Sunday right as the regen started so I snapped some pics yesterday as I hopped in for a 150km loop around the valley. Kicked on @ !soot m gr. 24 and 310km.

Looks like it only burned the !soot down to 5.4; you can also see the increasein DFP temps during the cycle compared to after.

Regen start:

View media item 136585
View media item 136586

Cycle completed:

View media item 136587
View media item 136588
Back to running nice & cool post regen!

View media item 136591

What does the fluctuation between injectors really mean? 3 & 4 have been in the negative since installing the FIS?

View media item 136590

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I got home Sunday right as the regen started so I snapped some pics yesterday as I hopped in for a 150km loop around the valley. Kicked on @ !soot m gr. 24 and 310km.
190 miles have been my schedual, UNTIL the last hyway only 290 before active regen.
Looks like it only burned the !soot down to 5.4; you can also see the increasein DFP temps during the cycle compared to after.
How many miles on your DPF?
So !soot @ 24 m/gr seems to be THE given trigger point. The other triggers are just backups. BTW what was your highest soot readings right before active regen? I believe you are stock tune?

View media item 136588
Back to running nice & cool post regen!
Whats the lowest passive temps? I see it around 400f
View media item 136591

What does the fluctuation between injectors really mean? 3 & 4 have been in the negative since installing the FIS?

View media item 136590
I really don't know much about this. From what Ive seen this is normal? It seems as long as they more or less zero each other or average out, alls good. As long as the numbers aren't crazy extreme??

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
128k km or 80k miles on the clock.

24m gr is the highest soot I have seen since starting to pay closer attention. Tune free.

DFP seems to run around 300C unless I put my foot into it.

Well -0.39 to +0.44 is a bit of a discrepancy. I'm going to have to get the googles out for this one.

View media item 136590

190 miles have been my schedual, UNTIL the last hyway only 290 before active regen.

How many miles on your DPF?

So !soot @ 24 m/gr seems to be THE given trigger point. The other triggers are just backups. BTW what was your highest soot readings right before active regen? I believe you are stock tune?

Whats the lowest passive temps? I see it around 400f

I really don't know much about this. From what Ive seen this is normal? It seems as long as they more or less zero each other or average out, alls good. As long as the numbers aren't crazy extreme??

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
128k km or 80k miles on the clock.
Was a new DPF put on thru dieselgate?

24m gr is the highest soot I have seen since starting to pay closer attention. Tune free.
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but is that 24 m/gr "isoot" OR "soot"? If 24 m/gr is "soot" reading (NOT "isoot") then wow, the stock tune is really So much dirtier than what I'm seeing with my tune. "soot" between 0 to 6 m/grs @ active regen. Maybe my (newer?) DPF has something to do with much better soot output numbers but i can't see a new DPF effecting this output reading, much - if at all?

-0.39 to +0.44 is a bit of a discrepancy. I'm going to have to get the googles out for this one.
balance between the 4 leaves it at 0.02. I may be thinking this all wrong but isn't this to do with average balance?

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
I have noticed that the DPF st. has had different values mid cycle. ff10, ff20 & ff40. Haven't yet search out what they related to but differnt than the usual ff01 / ff02

A long highway haul resulted in a 520km trek before this regen!

View media item 136804
Cleaned it all up nicely.

View media item 136805

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I have noticed that the DPF st. has had different values mid cycle. ff10, ff20 & ff40. Haven't yet search out what they related to but differnt than the usual ff01 / ff02

Cleaned it all up nicely.

View media item 136805
Somewhere in here the ff10, ff20 etc. is covered. Polar communication has told me and I posted it. As I remember it is the NOx converter clean up or whatever.

I too have recently managed the mid 300's on freeway driving. I havhad as little as 0.0 actual soot at regen. with a very short 7.0 regen req. I actually talked to Mike @ Kerma and asked if the tune would be better off using the actual soot level, say @ 15 m/gr? answer was no that is for DPF life. O.K. they are the pros. It would be nice if it regened less tho.
What is your actual soot @ regen?

btw I did notice the !soot didn't hit 0.0 after regen like you memtioned earlier, started around 5.0?. I did have an incident the !soot went backwards for a short blip around 20 m/gr. ?? Never saw that before

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
soot m gr. always seems to make it back to 0 while driving on the highway or post regen.
!soog m gr. hasn't gotten below 5.5 post regen.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder if that's VWs way of "cauculated" life on the DPF? I'll watch more closely my starting !soot. I have a 9k mile DPF so...? I Any one else can input their !soot level post active regen.