Update on my B4V

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
After 5k miles after restoring the engine bay. My engine died. I haven’t touched internal engine. So I am installing a new rebuilt engine. 110 hp European Spec engine. I am going to upgrade the engine power while I’m at it. So should I have turbo rebuilt with a larger billet. and upgrade the injector nozzles. I wanna get more power. Ideas and thoughts recommended. I’m not wanting to trash the engine so moderate power is fine.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The 110 AFN used a VNT turbo and hence different ECU for control. I'm glad you're going that route but I'm not sure what you have now will control it properly.

I always thought it was unfortunate that we never got the AFN here in any Mk3 / B4

Steve

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
The 110 AFN used a VNT turbo and hence different ECU for control. I'm glad you're going that route but I'm not sure what you have now will control it properly.

I always thought it was unfortunate that we never got the AFN here in any Mk3 / B4

Steve
I am not familiar with the 110 AFN. Could you elaborate? I have a rebuilt 1Z engine with all the specs of the European version. Larger pistons with oil cooling vallies. I am not looking to change ECU just have it programmed. I can upgrade stock turbo by rebuilding it and I could gain 10-15 hp via boost. Also I had Bosio 502 Nozzles but one got snapped off when engine failed. So I am looking a new nozzles also. I don’t really wannas role coal unless I really get on it even then I’d like it properly set up. I do know how to advance or retard the pump and adjust fuel via VagCom

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I am not familiar with the 110 AFN. Could you elaborate? I have a rebuilt 1Z engine with all the specs of the European version. Larger pistons with oil cooling vallies. I am not looking to change ECU just have it programmed. I can upgrade stock turbo by rebuilding it and I could gain 10-15 hp via boost. Also I had Bosio 502 Nozzles but one got snapped off when engine failed. So I am looking a new nozzles also. I don’t really wannas role coal unless I really get on it even then I’d like it properly set up. I do know how to advance or retard the pump and adjust fuel via VagCom
The 110hp AFN was the VNT turbo equipped version of the AHU, but we never got the AFN here in the states. It was their highest horsepower R4 8v 1.9L factory engine in the Mk3, B4 and early B5 platforms. The only interal changes that I'm aware of between the 90 and 110hp engines is in the sputter bearings on the crank, otherwise I believe they are built the same although don't quote me on that, I'd have to go and refresh my own memory on it.

You can easily achieve the 20hp difference between the two with a simple tuning change but you'll still be running a wastegate turbo. I believe my RC2 says it's at 118hp with factory AHU so you can expect more if you're doing more to increase performance, i.e. nozzles, turbo change etc and going with an aftermarket tune.

I had just thought you were doing the factory setup, that's why I mentioned the turbo and the ECU.

Steve

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm Ok. Well, I am going to upgrade the billet in the stock Turbo that will be rebuilt. Also larger nozzles and an ECU Tuning. That should do the trick correct. I don't want to change ECU and turbo. Only reason Im rebuilding the turbo again is. The engine died and had metal pieces that could have made it into the turbo and damaged it. Also, I have a spare turbo from my 98 Jetta TDI Sedan AHU. Are the turbos different on 96 Passat and AHU?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hmmm Ok. Well, I am going to upgrade the billet in the stock Turbo that will be rebuilt. Also larger nozzles and an ECU Tuning. That should do the trick correct. I don't want to change ECU and turbo. Only reason Im rebuilding the turbo again is. The engine died and had metal pieces that could have made it into the turbo and damaged it. Also, I have a spare turbo from my 98 Jetta TDI Sedan AHU. Are the turbos different on 96 Passat and AHU?
I believe that all the turbos that came to the US on 1Z and AHU were the KKK units K03. I think in Europe they also got the Garrett GT15 turbo too which is basically comparable to the former.

Steve

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe that all the turbos that came to the US on 1Z and AHU were the KKK units K03. I think in Europe they also got the Garrett GT15 turbo too which is basically comparable to the former.

Steve
Thats what I thought. Ok. Well Im super busy though when I get more done I may have more questions. Thanks

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
I am about to purchase a new clutch kit. I want something smooth but at least 325 pounds torque.

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
Where are you purchasing the engine? I've been on the lookout for a 1z/ahu myself.
eBay store. These guys werein Europe for 20 years and then move to Cali for the past 10 years. They specialize in rebuilds. It was $3,200 for the rebuild engine no core. Also they upgrade the parts and use European Spec pistons. 110 HP engine vs 90