Emissions Fix & Check Engine Light

GrammaVW

TDI
2009 & 2010 VW Jetta TDI
Hello,
Had the emissions fixed completed on my 2010 Jetta TDI at 127k. Less than 3k later, the engine light comes on.
I get the following codes on my reader:
P13D7-Sensor for Internal Pressure of Cylinder 4 Electrical Malfunction;
P13D8 - Short Circuit to Ground and
P13D9 - Implausible Signal

The VW dealer cannot cross reference these codes. My question is: now that I have the great new warranty, will these code repairs be covered?
Thanks!

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
That must be codes from a generic code reader ?? The dealer has to use their code reader to get the codes they understand. Its probably a glow plug bad. the pressure sensor is built into the glow plug on our cars. very common failure. Takes longer to read and erase the codes than it does to change the glow plug. I have had to change one on my car several years ago.

Have not had any experience on how the dealers handle this new warranty. By the way it reads (any code turning on the CEL not transmission related) it would seem to be covered. You will probably have to take it in to see if they will cover it. If they say no, have them explain to you why its not covered.

If you have someone that works on your car you could have them swap glowplugs #1 and #4 to see if the problem moves, and have them change the glowplug. A new glowplug can be ordered online for about $120. might be worth it for you to avoid the hassle of taking it to the dealer.

m1289

TDI
09 jetta
I also have CEL on

I also have the CEL on after doing the fix. My car first started to complain about Diesel Particulate Filter. After a few days of that the CEL came on. Dealer says this is not covered by warranty. This is an '09.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
I had the DPF replaced on my vehicle after the fix. It took multiple visits and calls to corporate in order to convince them but they did eventually replace it under the warranty.

The warranty booklet specifically lists the DPF as a covered part.

DHud13

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition 6MT
I also have the CEL on after doing the fix. My car first started to complain about Diesel Particulate Filter. After a few days of that the CEL came on. Dealer says this is not covered by warranty. This is an '09.
According to the "modification" literature the 2009 model year cars have a one-piece NOx/DPF unit, so both are to be replaced as part of the modification. Even if you had the later model separate NOx and DPF units, the DPF is specifically covered by the "after modification" extended warranty.

I would call the VW assistance number and have them educate your dealer.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
That must be codes from a generic code reader ?? The dealer has to use their code reader to get the codes they understand. Its probably a glow plug bad. the pressure sensor is built into the glow plug on our cars. very common failure. [...] A new glowplug can be ordered online for about $120. might be worth it for you to avoid the hassle of taking it to the dealer.
The glow plugs are covered by the extended warranty, listed as the sixth bullet on page 9 of the Emissions Modification booklet for 2009 - 2014 2.0L GEN 1 Automatics.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
I received the fix around 151,000 miles. Within a few 1000 miles I had sooty tail pipes (cracked DPF). They had been spotless up until the fix. Now at 168,000 miles. Still no CEL or other codes returned by VAGcom. I may take the car by the dealer and show them the exhaust. Being that the OBD system "limits were adjusted" I'd bet that even if my EGR filter is filling up with soot it may not detect it. Sooty tailpipes should be enough to have the DPF and all other exhaust components (now soot contaminated) replaced under warranty. However, you watch VW try to say that unless there are codes, the system is working as advertised ;)

Last edited:

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
All I can say is that I am glad that I sold mine back. I never thought that they would successfully fix generation 1 or 2 cars. I do miss the torque and the room of my manual JSW but I don't miss the impending massive repairs. The check engine light was on for two months while I was waiting for my return appointment. It was the intake valve on the throttle body I think that I remember. Good luck.

fxdrider

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
That dealer is full of #$%@. I have the warranty in front of me and it specifically says in the "Parts Covered Under Warranty" section - "The entire exhaust gas after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation Catalytic Convertor (DOC), the NOx Reduction Catalytic Converter, the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators." And that's just the first paragraph! It also covers the entire fuel system and EGR system. That's for 2009-2014 models.

My dealer is attempting a screw-over as well. I have a 2009 Jetta TDI with the modification and it's throwing a P0638 Throttle Actuator Control code. That's the valve that keeps the engine from dieseling on shutoff. It's not a "throttle body", but their tech is saying I need to replace my throttle body (which a diesel doesn't even have!!!), and they're saying the repair wouldn't be covered under warranty. I'm going to bring my copy of the warranty in and wave it in their faces. If that doesn't change their minds, it's lawyer or DOJ time. So tired of this BS. It's a shame too because I really like the car.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
That dealer is full of #$%@. I have the warranty in front of me and it specifically says in the "Parts Covered Under Warranty" section - "The entire exhaust gas after treatment system, including the Diesel Oxidation Catalytic Convertor (DOC), the NOx Reduction Catalytic Converter, the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators." And that's just the first paragraph! It also covers the entire fuel system and EGR system. That's for 2009-2014 models.

My dealer is attempting a screw-over as well. I have a 2009 Jetta TDI with the modification and it's throwing a P0638 Throttle Actuator Control code. That's the valve that keeps the engine from dieseling on shutoff. It's not a "throttle body", but their tech is saying I need to replace my throttle body (which a diesel doesn't even have!!!), and they're saying the repair wouldn't be covered under warranty. I'm going to bring my copy of the warranty in and wave it in their faces. If that doesn't change their minds, it's lawyer or DOJ time. So tired of this BS. It's a shame too because I really like the car.
Lawyer will cost you money, maybe more than the VW bill, and the DOJ would take months to help you with the result ultimately being the dealer was in error. Call VW directly and they will remind the dealer their obligation. If they won't fix it then, then call the DOJ and be prepared to wait.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

The part is actually used as a throttle body in other cars.

this being said, I agree this repair should be on VW, per the agreement.

good luck on this. stay calm, be firm. have a nice chat with the service manager.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
My experience is when a component wasn't on the official covered list, the dealer advised me to call VW Customer Care. They (Customer Care) then contacted the dealer, and everything was resolved.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
I was forced to turn mine in for the EGR cooler. I took it to them for the fix and they said it needed replaced before they could start the fix and wanted $2k from me to do it. I refused, asked for my buyback offer. The buyback offer was literally $200 difference between me selling it back with payoff on my loan or keeping it and accepting the $5100 restitution check. I gave the dealership multiple chances to make it right but the best they were willing to do was give the part for free and have me pay $1k in shop labor. Therefore, they bought my 170k mile 2011 Jetta M6 back for $13600 instead of just fixing the EGR cooler and handing me $5100.

Sad thing is I liked that car so much I was willing to take the $200 less hit to keep it. And talking to the service manager after he told me NOW VW is reconsidering customer care and fixing some of these things for the restitution rather than allowing buyback of a car that someone wants to keep.

Reading these lists of complaints after the fix, I think I may have made the right decision - or if I had kept the car I would've just dropped on my StageII tune again and kept winning on the roads making 50+mpg while leaving people in the dust.

m1289

TDI
09 jetta

I HAD THAT SAME PROBLEM! Had to replace my throttle body 2 months after the emissions fix. I went to my local mechanic and not the dealer, not thinking it would be covered under warranty. Let me know how yours turned out. I had mine back at the dealer today and they fixed the cooling fans and still noxsensor won't come down enough to regen. They are finally admitting that should be under warranty and I'm still fighting the fans.

Last edited:

janinoregon

TDI
2012 Sportwagen Manual 6 speed

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I hope that this is why my 2013 tdi jetta sportwagen 83,000 miles that I just bought today whose CEL came on after my first 20 miles. Thanks to this post if they say it is the glow plug I can say that it is covered on page 9 at the 6th bullet point. boom. hope so. i am a bit worried.

If yours was the p401 it isn't the same. I posted some stuff there for you. Cracked dpf and should be covered.