Upgraded TDIClub forums

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
New format wastes a LOT of screen real estate.
Yes, approximately 38% on my iMac. My screen is about 18.5"(470mm) wide but there are two 3.5"(89mm) gray bars on the sides, leaving less than 11.5"(295mm) for content.

Also, why have our locations and signature pictures been deleted?

Edit: OK, I accidentally found the location info but still no picture in the signature.

Edit 2: OK, I found out WHY no signature picture, at least 62% of my photos have been deleted. Any way to still access the old photos area in vBulletin so I can recover my photos, or am I jus SoL?

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
In the past, the TDI club picture gallery told that I had a limit, which I felt I was pretty close too. Because of that, I used Photobucket, and when it became useless, I moved the pics to Imgur and spent a while changing all pictures in the Trailer Wiring threads I'd made. My threads now just show [/IMG] where the pictures used to be. I'll try moving the pictures here and editing the threads when I have time. Any pics that I have hosted here are working fine.
So looking at one of your posts, the BBcode that got put in looks like this:

[IMG]http://[img]https://i.imgur.com/9sWxBOK.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

...that looks like some really broken syntax, and I'm wondering what was there before, and why it worked before.

Remove the [IMG]http:// and the redundant [/IMG] and it might just work.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
Yes, approximately 38% on my iMac. My screen is about 18.5"(470mm) wide but there are two 3.5"(89mm) gray bars on the sides, leaving less than 11.5"(295mm) for content.

Also, why have our locations and signature pictures been deleted?

Edit: OK, I accidentally found the location info but still no picture in the signature.

Edit 2: OK, I found out WHY no signature picture, at least 62% of my photos have been deleted. Any way to still access the old photos area in vBulletin so I can recover my photos, or am I jus SoL?
Romad, Any idea what pictures are not showing up. I checked your profile on the old system and you had 58, the same as here. I migrated over 82,000 images and they should all be there. The only exceptions are PDF, Word files, etc and those can be found on the old links, they just can't be managed anymore. Moving forward I'm hoping to find some volunteers to assist in manually migrating them into 'resources'. Examples are timing belt instructions.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Romad, Any idea what pictures are not showing up. I checked your profile on the old system and you had 58, the same as here. I migrated over 82,000 images and they should all be there. The only exceptions are PDF, Word files, etc and those can be found on the old links, they just can't be managed anymore. Moving forward I'm hoping to find some volunteers to assist in manually migrating them into 'resources'. Examples are timing belt instructions.
OK, they all appeared this time when I went to my media page. I guess the migration was still ongoing this morning. HOWEVER, my sig pic still hasn't shown up; all I see is this where it should be located: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
OK, they all appeared this time when I went to my media page. I guess the migration was still ongoing this morning. HOWEVER, my sig pic still hasn't shown up; all I see is this where it should be located: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Perhaps you were just seeing the missing thumbnails as some of them weren't appearing for a few hours.
As for your other item with the signature, unfortunately I need to delegate that back to you as it is one of the few items that did not migrate. If you really need that image, let me know and for a short period of time I can retrieve it off the old system.

Last edited:

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
I need to verify this, but it is possible that the images didn't make the transfer. That is one thing I never checked. However I think when you updated the signature you linked your album vs just the picture. In the Posting images thread I noted the differences on how images are handed. Let me know if changing the image fixes things for you
Yes, that fixed it.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK, I'll upload it to Imgur then add it back in.

Edit: And done!

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How do we cancel a post if we decide to not post it? I started a reply, but then wanted to cancel it but could not find out how to do it. So I just deleted the text and entered this question.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Change is the only Constant ... and I'm constantly finding new things to like about the new look.
But, I am having an issue trying to search for some of my older posts.
When I use the search feature for my posts I get 2 pages of results and when I click on "view older results" there's nothing else that shows up.
Even when I hover over my avatar, I see my # of messages but when I click on that I only see a limited number of results.
To see if it was just me, I tried hovering over another member's avatar and clicked on their message number and again I only see limited results.
That's it for now :)
By the way, I do like the updated Media pages (y)
UPDATE: It seems I'm only seeing the results for threads I've started, and the same for other uses messages when clicking the message # in their avatar, so maybe it just an option or preference I have selected somehow (or maybe not)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
TDIGAZ, up at the right side of the page, you will see your "USER" name. Click on it... a window will drop down and you will see your USER name again. Click on it. Now, about the middle of the page you will see a blue bar that goes across the page. In that bar you will see POSTS. Click on it and there you will see all of your Posts in chronological order ...

Hope this helps.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Andy, on my blue bar it says "Postings". Probably to keep it from being confused with the item "Profile Posts"

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've tried to update my avatar, but I keep ending up with a question mark. (?)
I upload this:

end up with this (so now, I'm just back to "N"):

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nuje, it looks like it now has to be a square with a minimum of 400 x 400 pixels. Mine is lopped off on the bottom and blurred so I'll have to see what I can do about it.

Edit: I tried to use a square png graphic 425 x 425 pixels and it didn't take either. Looks like a bug.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yeah - I tried at least eight different images - png, jpg, large, small, tiny, medium....nothing's working.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIGAZ, up at the right side of the page, you will see your "USER" name. Click on it... a window will drop down and you will see your USER name again. Click on it. Now, about the middle of the page you will see a blue bar that goes across the page. In that bar you will see POSTS. Click on it and there you will see all of your Posts in chronological order ...

Hope this helps.
I've tried exactly that, and several other ways, but I only see the posts of threads I've started.
If I click the drop-down besides Forums I can see my Your Threads and Threads with your posts.
Clicking Your threads I get a list of threads I've started, clicking Threads with your posts I get a list of threads I've posted in, but I haven't found a way to get a list of all my posts.
I'll keep looking
AndyBees when I click on your avatar, I can see you have over 14,000 posts.
Can you find a list of results that will display all 14,000 posts? If so, how.
Thanks

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
On each of those pages. if you scroll down to the bottom, on the left side you'll options for 10 pages. On page 10, on the right bottom, you will see an option to see older posts......... it goes on and on until you find your first post!

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
How do we cancel a post if we decide to not post it? I started a reply, but then wanted to cancel it but could not find out how to do it. So I just deleted the text and entered this question.
Do you mean how to delete a post you posted or just not submit it. The system now saves your drafts for up to 24 hours. If you don't want to to post your draft, simply select all and delete. It will be gone.
Nuje, it looks like it now has to be a square with a minimum of 400 x 400 pixels. Mine is lopped off on the bottom and blurred so I'll have to see what I can do about it.

Edit: I tried to use a square png graphic 425 x 425 pixels and it didn't take either. Looks like a bug.
There was an issue with the thumbnails yesterday. I think it is resolved. Are you still having the same issue? I did a test upload and it seemed OK this morning.
Yeah - I tried at least eight different images - png, jpg, large, small, tiny, medium....nothing's working.
There was an issue with the thumbnails yesterday. I think it is resolved. Are you still having the same issue? I did a test upload and it seemed OK this morning.
I've tried exactly that, and several other ways, but I only see the posts of threads I've started.
If I click the drop-down besides Forums I can see my Your Threads and Threads with your posts.
Clicking Your threads I get a list of threads I've started, clicking Threads with your posts I get a list of threads I've posted in, but I haven't found a way to get a list of all my posts.
I'll keep looking
AndyBees when I click on your avatar, I can see you have over 14,000 posts.
Can you find a list of results that will display all 14,000 posts? If so, how.
Thanks
For performance reasons the search is limited to 100 posts. I increased that last night to something higher. That said, 14,000 is too high if we don't want to affect performance. My first response was to do a custom search, but that only has newer than, and not older than so I'll add that to the list of items to deal with.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you mean how to delete a post you posted or just not submit it. The system now saves your drafts for up to 24 hours. If you don't want to to post your draft, simply select all and delete. It will be gone.

So deleting the text of an un-submitted post removes it as a draft? OK, that works.

When I went to check, the system had already updated with the 425 x 425 png graphic I had tried yesterday. Thanks for the fix!

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Thanks for all your hard work Fred. An excellent transition.

Few things I'm missing or improvements:

1. No longer seems to be a quick forum jump feature. That was handy.
2. I as well enjoyed having more posts per page. I set mine at 100 I think.
3. I'm trying to clean up my old PM's, or conversations, and it is ponderous because only 20 are displayed per page. Tough to pick through them to select, when some you want to keep.

All minor gripes though. TDI's FOREVER!

Last edited:

Ludachris

TDI
Touareg - Soon

For performance reasons the search is limited to 100 posts. I increased that last night to something higher. That said, 14,000 is too high if we don't want to affect performance. My first response was to do a custom search, but that only has newer than, and not older than so I'll add that to the list of items to deal with.
Hey Fred, you might want to consider using a search add-on called Threadloom. It's a really good search plugin for Xenforo and greatly reduces the load issues of the built-in search. You will find that you'll likely end up having to rebuild the search index less (which tends to happen on larger forums), and you won't have to limit the search results the way you're doing now. (y)

I know some have pointed out wanting to display locations under the username. I haven't played with the stock XF theme much but that shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. I have played with an add-on that displays a country flag next to each post based on the member's IP address, which could work nicely for a forum like this where members are from all over the globe - it isn't necessarily always accurate with sever proxies, but it's still pretty cool.

Glad to see this forum on Xenforo. It's a solid forum platform, lots of possibilities to make it unique with the base configuration options, and it also has some great plugins available for it.