Warranty coverage/Dealership shady

emocatalyst

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I think the dealership is pulling my leg. My 2013 Passat TDI SEL has recently given me some issues. I had a mechanic run a diagnostic so we could figure the issue out. The Code came back as p0183... and i ordered a fuel temp sensor for replacement... Now to be completely sure of this, before having any work done I get my car towed to the dealership for a diagnostic (because i know this is a warranty covered part). They run the diagnostic, and it pulled the same code. They told me they will order the part, and replace it... all fees are waived. This was stated on a Monday.
They also stated they may needed to do an oil change, as there was no oil. The oil had recently been changed, so i wasn't too sure about that especially with a 140$ quote.
I messaged the service clerk at the number she gave me, telling her I think there may actually be a leak.. and wanted to know if it was possible to get the technician to check instead. I received no response.

I wasn't contacted again until Friday (which was the date my service was scheduled). I was then told they did the oil change (without my authorization, without any paperwork) and that They were able to get the car to drive after changing the part, then it stopped??? She then indicated my entire fuel line needed to be replaced!! That it would cost me 5,300...and was not covered by the warranty. She stated the entire fuel system was rusted. WHAT? I just had someone look at my car who saw nothing like this, neither did i see anything like this while watching.... SO im very confused at this point. She then tells me I can sign up for a VW credit card to pay for the services lol.. So I stated I dont have that amount of money at this time, and my credit is already shot. Call ends.
I message them, and request documentation to be sent to me via email or text message in regards to services, and what they're currently stating is wrong with my car...No response. So I was never even given information/paperwork of the diagnostic.. A bit strange.
Monday I follow up, by visiting in person.
A service clerk tells me that the team that worked on my car isn't in today, and I request to have someone who can show me my vehicle, and the issues they're claiming. I wait for about 30 mins. I'm taken to my vehicle, and a mechanic who claimed he worked on it (after they said none of the people who worked on my vehicle was in today) Shows me a fuel filter... which was blue, and normal looking. I look into the housing for the fuel filter... and there is a very slight sign of rust in a ring shape... nothing to match what they stated... and that's all they would show me. He states the vehicle will not start up. Upon leaving I asked if i can have the papers they had sitting in my vehicle, which where just the diagnostic codes.. At this point they have still not given me a receipt, anything to sign, just the number to VW care.. saying it may be best that I call, cause its not covered by the warranty.

I call VWcare, and the agent is giving me the run around about millage... and I keep expressing to him, my vehicle has not passed the miles... Im calling to see if the fuel system is covered like the warranty claims "entire fuel system" I explain my issue, and ask for it to be escalated. I let him know that I had also called VW that morning requesting the information again, and for them to send me proof of the denial w/ VW.... The woman sent me an email she typed herself. Still no documents about the first service etc. I was told a Region manager would contact me the next day.
The next day no one called, and I called back. Its the same agent, and he says he accidently "escalated the issue to himself, and assigned the case to himself" WHAT??? So He resubmits it, and apologizes.
Today I called, new agent immediately tells me that the entire fuel system is covered, then transfers me to the region manager. Now this guy reads the transcript from the dealership to claims. On that Thursday before my vehicle was scheduled to be serviced. They serviced it then, and REMOVED my ENTIRE FUEL SYSTEM? Vw denied saying that this issue was caused by outside influenced (claiming water in my fuel, but never tested the fuel)

Now my question is can they remove my fuel system without my permission? Can they perform services outside of that the diagnostic found, or what they alerted me? They didn't even have me sign anything, or provide any documentation... and also if my fuel temp sensor was the issue and its connected to the fuel filter couldn't that be a direct impacted system?
My car was still able to start before any of this...
I only use high turn over stations... and its only one I go to..
The mechanic who looked at my car a few days before I sent it in, did not see anything close to what they're saying...

Are there conditions to the warranty?

it stated "conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved in favor of consumer"
parts covered lists "entire fuel system"

how can they get away with such negligent practices

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Sounds like you need to speak to an attorney. They definitely sound shady and depending on your states consumer protection laws you may have a case (with them performing work on your car without your authorization and all). Hopefully having an attorney contact them about a car that was running when you dropped it off and now mysteriously won't run after they did something that you didn't authorize will light a fire under them. I know that will cost you more money but depending on the outcome it may be money well spent. Good luck.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
First try the 800 number for VW assistance. Calmly explain everything to them They should be able to tell the dealer to move ahead. Failing that contact the class action attorneys and ask them to call or send a letter to the dealer and VW. If you have your own attorney that would probably work too. Sometimes they just need to have the facts pointed out to them before they move.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The answer to your question of can they take the car apart without your authorization is no. The only thing they can do is what you authorized. Did you take the car in for a check engine light or did you say the car doesn’t run? You towed the car in, so it seems it may be more of doesn’t run, which would lead to a broader area to diagnose and allow for taking the car further apart within the usual hour of diagnosis. Is the rust actually rust or is it algae?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And this is why I stated in another thread the warranty is a joke. A very not funny joke. I am truly sorry you are having to deal with this nonsense. As a life-long Volkswagen enthusiast, this crap angers me to the bone. :mad:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounds like business is slow and they have resorted to scamming customers.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Basically just sell the car because you will never get VW or any of their dealers to ever help you with anything. Should have never owned one in the first place. That is what some would have you think.

Just call the VW 800 number and explain to them what is going on. Then the attorneys if needed. You can get your car fixed it just may take some time and effort on your part to insure it happens as it should. Should it be this way? No, but it is what it is. Get er done!

bioburner

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Wagon 285k - Gone ‘10 JSW - Gone '13 Q7 145k
And this is why I stated in another thread the warranty is a joke. A very not funny joke. :
I disagree, I’ve had several repairs covered by the warranty, including an engine removal/rear main/oil pan reseal (~$8k) Like any warranty one needs to be educated about the terms and what is covered. The documents and knowledge are available here and I think the warranty is very valuable to those willing to take advantage of it.

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
Is there a question as to whether the car has a warranty? How many miles are on the car? Did the 2013 get the same 11 year/162k that the 2015s got?

Mike777

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI (6MT; 2-door; black)