TDI Ranger Build

RamblingswithRyan

TDI
Future Ranger TDI
Minor update on the truck: new front brakes and bearings.
New MPG record :):
755.1/18.185 = 41.5
(no I did not achieve this MPG towing this around :D)
I've towed with Rangers quite a bit with stock engines. How well does your TDI powered Ranger tow something that heavy? That load has gotta weigh something around 6000 lb, right? If it felt safe, that is very impressive indeed.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I've towed with Rangers quite a bit with stock engines. How well does your TDI powered Ranger tow something that heavy? That load has gotta weigh something around 6000 lb, right? If it felt safe, that is very impressive indeed.
I wouldn't tow anything this heavy. I only moved this around my yard.

351splash

TDI
01 Jetta, 01 NB, Various Swaps
Very interested in one of your adapters. Earlier in the thread you mentioned selling them. My brother and I are looking at putting a few of these trucks together for reliable, efficient daily drivers and would be interested in buying one or two of your plates if you're still interested in selling.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
I see you have posted some maximum EGT numbers, but I'm curious to know what your cruising EGT's look like when reasonably loaded. I'm trying to figure out what is reasonable to expect out of my ALH/LandCruiser. Currently I can't get below 1200ºF on flat ground over 60mph, and usually it is closer to 1300º. It is really easy to hit 1500º or more with partial throttle when accelerating, and I have seen ~1680º briefly on a 3rd gear full throttle pull. Pretty sure some bad nozzles/poor install job are the cause, but would be good to know what to shoot for.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Not to be high-jacking this Build Thread, but, I'll throw in a few things about the ALH install in my 84 Vanagon.

PradoTDI
I have a McNally EGT gauge with the probe directly above the Turbo. I very seldom see ETGs above 800f. Cruising at 70 mph on the flat pulling a 1200 lb camper loaded with stuff and four adults on board, EGTs are anywhere from about 525 to 750f. I have seen 1100f going up a long relatively steep grade at 70 mph.

Do you believe your EGT set-up is providing correct info?

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
What sort of tune/modifications are you running with that setup? I always assumed my pyrometer was accurate, but maybe I should check it again to be sure. I have it tapped into the manifold just pre turbo, positioned approximately midstream. I am running a Malone Stage 4, GT1749va and DLC1019 injectors. Pretty sure the nozzles were installed poorly (and possibly aren't any good themselves) because I have a constant haze of black smoke even when cruising on flat ground. Acceleration is full-on coal rolling, regardless of how careful I am.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
its probably not your nozzles, but instead your software
lean out your smoke maps a little bit and your egts will come down (and the smoke will reduce)

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
In an attempt to keep the thread hi-jacking to a minimum, here is the thread I started a while ago on this subject with more complete information: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...issues-after-1019-nozzles-and-stage-4.513877/

I do have fairly significant IQ deviation at idle and 1400 rpm, so that leads me to suspect injectors. Is adjusting the smoke maps something I can do with via VCDS, or will the tuner have to do that? I'm fairly new to working on the electronic side of TDI's.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
PradoTDI, my ALH has a Stage 1 Malone Tune and EGR delete, everything else is stock! I am running the OE CAT though.

CerberusA&P

TDI
Ranger
So to start off I'd like to give you GreenGeeker some massive props for pulling off this project and thank you specifically for this thread because now I know this is possible. Funny enough I came up with the crazy idea of TDI swapping my 2003 Ranger edge as kind of "hey guys I wonder if this is possible" today at work and spent the rest of my day scouring, seeing if it is feasible before finding this thread.

So with that being said, I'm looking for some pointers on where to start, in my theorizing stages today ( all before any research) the wall I ran into was how to deal with mounting the transmission and what transmission you would want to go with. I toyed with the idea of using a stock ranger 5-speed manual because I have seen some kits for that but my instincts are telling me that it is a pretty terrible idea and that it could not handle the torque. I would like to use a heavier-duty manual transmission so with everyone's experience on this thread and having already gone through the project would you make a different choice in transmission? is there a generation of the 2L TDI engine that would best be suited for this kind of project? (I have already been looking into MK5s, if I'm making a mistake there definitely let me know), is the bell housing adapter plate available at this point?

buzzboy

TDI
1979 Mercedes 300SD BHW
Cerberus, what ranger transmission do you have? The M5ODR1 or M5ODR1HD? I would feel comfortable if it were the HD.

The 2L TDI is either a PD engine, the BHW, or a newer CR engine, the CJAA or CBEA. The PD is a much easier swap than the CR. If you're okay with a 1.9L then you have many choices depending on what you want out of the truck and how much work you want to do.

CerberusA&P

TDI
Ranger
Cerberus, what ranger transmission do you have? The M5ODR1 or M5ODR1HD? I would feel comfortable if it were the HD.

The 2L TDI is either a PD engine, the BHW, or a newer CR engine, the CJAA or CBEA. The PD is a much easier swap than the CR. If you're okay with a 1.9L then you have many choices depending on what you want out of the truck and how much work you want to do.
Currently the truck has the 3.0L I Vin engine with an automatic, so I'll be needing to swap the transmission as well. So the question is which manual option is going to be the easiest to get my hands on and fit into the project while also being able to handle up to possibly stage 2 or 3 performance upgrades. I want to daily this truck so I do want to complete the project as quick and efficiently as possible so the tip about the PD engine being easiest is definitely appreciated.

So far my first order of business is to decide weather I'm going to use a donor vehicle (wrecked from auction) for the engine and ECU and all other small parts that need to come from the VW or just start by finding an engine at a upullit and rebuilding it. The second order of business is figuring out the bell housing adapter situation, as I see that as the biggest hurdle to overcome just to start out.

Nozzleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Ford Ranger ALH
I am currently running an AX15 out of a (97?) Dodge Dakota in mine with the Dodge/Jeep 4.0 pattern bellhousing using one of EVGuy's adapters. Originally I was running a NV3550 2wd and swapped to the AX15 after it started howling.

I chose the larger bellhousing because it allowed a larger stock clutch instead of using the Ranger 3.0 or 4.0 and worrying about a high performance clutch or running through the stock one. Right now I am running a Malone 4 tune with bigger injectors and turbo. It may end up getting a cam here soon as I'm starting to get some cold start lifter tick on an engine with nearly 300K and unknown history prior to me getting it.