Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Unleaded has been going up lately. At a KwikTrip that had ULSD at $2.059 a week ago, and B10 gasoline (or maybe B20) at $1.899 or $1.999, today the price of both was $2.299.

There's still one or two metro stations charging $2.099 for ULSD. Since mid-April I've paid between $1.99 and $2.09 most of the time -- only twice over $2.20 and a few times in the $1.85-1.89 range. Most stations are still charging $2.59-2.79 but I've avoided them.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
1.97 for Diesel in Stover Mo.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Paid $1.79 for D2 in Lake Wylie on Saturday morning. Rug was $1.83.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I'm still seeing diesel for about the same price as RUG out in the rural areas. $2.139 was a pretty common price, with RUG slightly less or slightly more. Diesel is considerably higher in the metro, $2.499 to $2.899, and some places even higher. But I never buy at those stations. I filled one Golf for $2.139 and the other for $2.199.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Just curious, do other states add a premium on non cash (credit) payments?

Ca. adds 10 cents a gallon.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

Not here in California unless the company or station owner decides to do so.
Here in the central valley, Ca. I have never seen one station NOT Charge a premium (for years). Not saying its a law or your wrong either. Your input tells me this area is like that. Cant wait to flee this state and its politics.

Just wondering how it is else where?

BTW, I absolutely have Prescott on the short list.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Here in the central valley, Ca. I have never seen one station NOT Charge a premium (for years). Not saying its a law or your wrong either. Your input tells me this area is like that. Cant wait to flee this state and its politics.

Depends where in California you look honestly. Some stations in so cal do, others don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

BTW, I absolutely have Prescott on the short list.
I think what you are calling a "premium" is the station's charge to recover the Interchange Fee(s) they are charged by the card issuers to process credit and debit card transactions. It is these recovery fees that make up the difference between the lower "cash" prices and the higher "credit/debit" prices. The stations around here Oroville pretty much charge the same price whether payment is cash or card, so basically we cash users are subsidizing the card users. BTW, by refusing to accept credit cards, ARCO doesn't have to pay any credit interchange fees so it can keep its fuel prices low (however they do charge a flat 35¢ "convenience" fee/transaction to cover debit card interchange fees). Credit card interchange fees average 2% per transaction.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

Around here it's station dependent. I choose not to buy from those stations since I put all fuel purchases on a cash back card.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I think what you are calling a "premium" is the station's charge to recover the Interchange Fee(s) they are charged by the card issuers to process credit and debit card transactions. It is these recovery fees that make up the difference between the lower "cash" prices and the higher "credit/debit" prices. The stations around here Oroville pretty much charge the same price whether payment is cash or card, so basically we cash users are subsidizing the card users. BTW, by refusing to accept credit cards, ARCO doesn't have to pay any credit interchange fees so it can keep its fuel prices low (however they do charge a flat 35¢ "convenience" fee/transaction to cover debit card interchange fees). Credit card interchange fees average 2% per transaction.
I remember ARCO was famous for their credit/debit policy. Food4Less was same way. But ARCO was only station I have seen that takes cash at the fuel island.

But then I also liked the "Cheaper" stations. They had those cheap, laminated paper looking credit cards that you loaded value on then used the value off them to buy fuel. Mostly disposable as there was a basket at the pumps to put your old ones in. At the time I though that would be a great idea as you bypass credit/debit card companies and their fees/tracking. If we were to replace hard cash with digital this is how I would like to go. Main draw back was if the card was damaged or lost then so was all the $$ you loaded on it. Not much different than if you lost your wallet or dropped a $20 in the garbage disposal.

Jason

droptiks

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen (Tornado Red)
Found .67 USD a litre in Agassiz, BC. That's 2.62 USD a gallon but a real low for me in Canada. And cheaper that WA. Woo hoo! No more driving to WA for gas, not that I can anyhow.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Diesel and rug prices are holding pretty steady in the Denver area...

I paid $1.95 for D2 Friday, saw rug for $2.30 today. RUG is running mostly in the $2.30-2.60 range with D2 running 1.90-2.40 range around the region....

With most stations holding pretty cosistantly with rug equal to or more expensive than the D2 they are selling across the region still....for now at least....

Willy56

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon TDI
Here in Nova Scotia I paid .90 a litre a few days ago.
As there are 3.78 litres in each US gallon, that would be $3.40 a US gal.