Oil Choices

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I am getting ready to order my 40K service kit from IDParts and there are several oil choices I can choose from, Rowe 5W30, Liqui Moly 5W30, Total Ineo Long Life 5W30, Pentosin 5W30 or VW High Performace 0W30. The Rowe is standard with the kit and the others are add on costs anywhere from $3 to $20. Kind of thought to stay with a 5W30 as I live in a hot climate.

Does it make a difference which oil I choose, any opinions/advice on that?

Also on the DSG fluid the Rowe is standard and the VW is a $42 upcharge. Any advice on that one?

Thanks for the help

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I wouldn't think so. They wouldn't sell anything that was not correct for the car. Your choice though if you want a different oil. Personally as long as it is 507 that is all I care about. Same for the DSG. If it is the correct spec'd oil use whatever you want.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
FWIW, Rowe was started by a group of engineers who left Liqui-Moly. They have a very sophisticated refinery, and are doing a great job at making a quality product with the right certifications. I like Liqui-Moly products, but Rowe is really excellent. Also true for DSG fluid and coolant.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Just a note on the newer VW branded 0w/30, I have that in my Mk6 CJAA with about 8,000 miles since the oil change. I have not burned any noticeable oil. I am in NJ, so hot and humid in the summer. I realize the CJAA, at least in my experience, does not burn as much oil as the CRUA engines I have owned.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I went ahead with Rowe for everything, it was the default choice therefore no upcharge. I will use the top fill method on the DSG, drain, re-install standpipe and plug, re-fill, bring to specified temp, remove drain plug and let excess dribble out right?
Matt927 I didn't want to use the 0 weight being as I live in a hot climate, probably wouldn't hurt but why would I?

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
I went ahead with Rowe for everything, it was the default choice therefore no upcharge. I will use the top fill method on the DSG, drain, re-install standpipe and plug, re-fill, bring to specified temp, remove drain plug and let excess dribble out right?
Matt927 I didn't want to use the 0 weight being as I live in a hot climate, probably wouldn't hurt but why would I?
0 weight is for winter, for summer it is still 30 weight oil

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I am not sure how the first number on a viscosity index effects operating the oil in Arizona? If you went to the dealer, they would fill your car with 0w/30.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I am not sure how the first number on a viscosity index effects operating the oil in Arizona? If you went to the dealer, they would fill your car with 0w/30.
The first number is not an actual viscosity, its the winter rating. Thats why there is a “w” after it. If you live anywhere where you have moderate temps 0w and 5w aren’t necessary and offer no benefits. You could even run SAE 30. I use 10w30 in my CJAA because I live in N. CA and temps are very mild here.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The first number is not an actual viscosity, its the winter rating. Thats why there is a “w” after it. If you live anywhere where you have moderate temps 0w and 5w aren’t necessary and offer no benefits. You could even run SAE 30. I use 10w30 in my CJAA because I live in N. CA and temps are very mild here.
Except I doubt you've found a 10w30 oil that meets the VW 507.00 spec for your car. As long as you're not worried about that then you're good.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
The winter weight also helps when the oil is cold. Believe it or not, your engine doesn’t start at 100°C.
That’s a common belief however it’s actually not true.

The winter rating only effects the oil’s pumpability when you’re near the lower end of the rating. The Viscosity Index and cSt @ 40c and 100c is a bigger factor in determining how an oil behaves in its operating range.

For example, I’ve been using a 10w40 that has a lower viscosity at “normal” temps (above 0F) and flows better than a similar 5w40 and 0w40 with the same HTHS. However this 10w40 would gel at temps the 5w40 and 0w40 would still Flow and be pumpable at (< 0F).

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
I use Hot Shot's Secret in my diesels. Their Grey Diamond oil is VW 504.00, 507.00 approved.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
When the first generation TDIs (1Z / AHU) came out, there was a problem with blown turbos traced to insufficient oil supply to the turbo bearings during a cold start. Oil specification was originally 10W-40 without a limitation to synthetic. VW's response was a TSB mandating 5W-40 synthetic only. At some point during this early period, there was also a production change to the turbo oil supply line, rerouting it from the end of the cam gallery in the head to the oil filter adapter. I'm not sure if this preceded or followed the change in oil spec. (I would guess it followed), but the turbo failures stopped.

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Thank you, I understand oil viscosity numbers. My point being, if you went to a Volkswagen dealer in Arizona where residents experience higher temperatures on a more daily basis, they will pour 0w/30. Your engine would suffer no ill effects and the driver would never know.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I did hear some Pep boys across the western part of the states are liquidating their stock of "parts house" and ESP 5W30 (old blends) were being let go for ~$4 a Qt.

My methodology is use the cheapest spec oil you can find, run it for 10K and be happy. For me that's M1 for the next 40K (Napa had a killer sale).

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
I did hear some Pep boys across the western part of the states are liquidating their stock of "parts house" and ESP 5W30 (old blends) were being let go for ~$4 a Qt.

My methodology is use the cheapest spec oil you can find, run it for 10K and be happy. For me that's M1 for the next 40K (Napa had a killer sale).
they still do at $5.99 a 1L with free ship

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
My point being, if you went to a Volkswagen dealer in Arizona where residents experience higher temperatures on a more daily basis, they will pour 0w/30. Your engine would suffer no ill effects and the driver would never know.
Actually I did have the VW dealer in Tucson change my oil shortly after I bought the car in Dec of 2018 and this is what they used.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Actually I did have the VW dealer in Tucson change my oil shortly after I bought the car in Dec of 2018 and this is what they used.
That oil is gone. Now you'll get 0w30, VW packaged, but most likely from Mobil.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
That oil is gone. Now you'll get 0w30, VW packaged, but most likely from Mobil.
I wonder if that has anything to do with Matt's mention above about not burning any oil 8k into the interval with the latest 0w30. Assuming that previously they had needed to top up that is.

The mention of Hot Shot's above earlier should probably be vetted with some UOAs being that it's so new.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I wonder if that has anything to do with Matt's mention above about not burning any oil 8k into the interval with the latest 0w30. Assuming that previously they had needed to top up that is.
The mention of Hot Shot's above earlier should probably be vetted with some UOAs being that it's so new.
I doubt HSS actually manufactures their oil. I’d bet money it’s from a major blender than packages motor oil for house brands like Kirkland, NAPA, MAG1, Supertech, etc. Likely Warren Distribution or Amalie. It’s probably very similar to a generic euro formula 5w40 with a shot of HSS TPG Ester for 2x the normal price.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Man, now that there will not ever be any new generation of TDI engines here, all we have to talk about is them changing the oils they already had, LMAO....

Oil Wars.... its like Fast & Furious movies. They just keep on going. Nobody really cares, but they keep on going..... :p

Tooftek oil is probably the end all be all for motor oil. :cool: