fuel filler flap frustration

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
FFS, my filler neck is suddenly locked in a closed position... i was able to trickle in a gallon slooooowly to get us home.

is this a matter of disconnecting an actuator or something? i do have VCDS, if i have to open that can o worms.

thanks y'all, it's been awhile :)

USMCFieldMP

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
And now I know what I’m doing tomorrow afternoon. I didn’t realize it could be removed so easily without breaking any tabs.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
FFS, my filler neck is suddenly locked in a closed position... i was able to trickle in a gallon slooooowly to get us home.
is this a matter of disconnecting an actuator or something? i do have VCDS, if i have to open that can o worms.
Any chance the station had a small gasoline size nozzle? I heard there are a few diesel pumps out there with the smaller nozzle which won't open the rejection device. I keep one of these in the back for emergency use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA3hrLjdggg

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Can't believe i'm admitting it, but I can say is it saved me once when i was filling in a morning daze and grabbed the RUG handled and futzed with it not going in and opening. Took about 5 seconds to realize my mistake.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
When you remove the restrictor, don't throw it away; I keep mine in the car so I won't forget where I put it. If you have to go to the dealer for emissions/HPFP warranty work, don't assume they won't check for the presence of the restrictor in an attempt to invalidate your warranty. Its easier to temporarily re-install than remove.

BTW, removal makes seeing when the fuel level is reaching the top of the neck so much easier and I think the best reason for removing it.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
^^This
I removed mine years ago, but had also already voided any chances at an extended warranty. Keep it around in case you need a warranty claim and enjoy being able to see the fuel/foam when topping up.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Keep it around in case you need a warranty claim and enjoy being able to see the fuel/foam when topping up.
For sure. That’s why I was pleasantly surprised to see how easy it was to remove. The 2009-2014 retrofit one was a lot more complicated with clips and whatnot.

Dustoff

TDI
2015 Passat SE
I find it a royal pain in the keister. Just bought a 15 Passat TDI and had one hell of a time filling the tank for the first time. I'm considering removing the restrictor however with the 2 year CPO, it's good advice to keep the thing handy. Thanks for the info!

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
What is causing it to be a problem, seeing into the filler neck? I always carry a small flashlight in my pocket and find that all I have to do is lean the nozzle slightly to one side and hold the light there and I can see when the fuel starts to rise up in the filler neck easily, just as easily as my other vehicles without restrictors.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
What is causing it to be a problem, seeing into the filler neck? I always carry a small flashlight in my pocket and find that all I have to do is lean the nozzle slightly to one side and hold the light there and I can see when the fuel starts to rise up in the filler neck easily, just as easily as my other vehicles without restrictors.
You can see significantly farther down the neck and with greater ease w/ restrictor removed, not to mention the ability to accommodate a larger fill nozzle. Try it; you won't regret it, unless you are using the dealer for regular maintenance and would have to frequently R & R the restrictor. Or if any of the car's anticipated drivers can't be trusted to not mistakenly fill with gas.

Last edited:

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL

Best all

BEST ALLITERATION I’VE EVER SEEN ON FRED’S DIESEL FORUM. HOPE YOU GOT IT FIGURED OUT.

uberdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Night Blue Golf TDI SEL
Love the meme. One of the best movies ever.

I meant
noun
  1. the occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely connected words.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Ahhh - the quoted text is what threw me off.
And I have 100+ tabs open so didn't see the thread title.

(And yes - Top10 all-time movie for me. :D )

ThatBruceGuy

TDI
2015 GSW DSG
^^This
I removed mine years ago, but had also already voided any chances at an extended warranty. Keep it around in case you need a warranty claim and enjoy being able to see the fuel/foam when topping up.
How'd you pull it out?
I've noticed that the Mk7 version is different than the Mk6 filler neck. Couldn't pull mine out with a pick.