A/C went out.... help!

kola8273

TDI
2003 Golf, 2015 Golf Sportwagen
So about a month out of warranty My 2015 golf sportwagen TDi SEL (Which sat for 2 years) with 25k miles the A/C stopped blowing cold. I can’t seem to find any related threads. And I’ve never troubleshot an a/c system.

So the car Up till last month it was blowing cold, I didn’t notice a decline either. Also didn’t really need the a/c till yesterday.

I read an a/c thread about a valve. So I ran the compressor for about 5 miles. Popped the hood and felt the lines, they were not cold, engine was up to temp, and the lines felt room temp. I thought they would be like 100 degrees warmed by the engine but they felt about 75.

There was something odd that happened, my check engine light went on about 3 weeks ago. But was gone the next time I drove. I read the error code it threw. p16n6 (Maybe?) it was something about and engine mount over voltage or something. (Don’t know what the engine mount has to do with electrical) I deleted the code and nothing has popped since.

Should I just recharge the system? Something else I should check?

(It is semi possible a rat got in there it’s happened before, but I did a visual inspection and didn’t see any damage or nesting material)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OBD works, even for the climate control on that car, start there.

You can monitor compressor command and refrigerant pressure with a suitable scan tool. If when you press the A/C button the command signal happens, but the pressure barely moves or remains the same, you probably have a bad RCV. There is a TSB about this, it is very, VERY common.

Many cars have active engine mounts, that are controlled via some sort of electrical signal either directly on the mount itself or to control a vacuum solenoid that goes to the mount. I am not yet familiar with the 2015 TDIs as far as how their mount system works. In fact, if it has active mounts it is the first transverse FWD TDI I know of that has them. Or, if you were using a generic OBD2 tool, it could just be throwing out jiberish like they often (always?) do, so....

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would also get it back to the dealer and ask for a goodwill adjustment for the repair. One month out you should be able to arrange this with some luck.

kola8273

TDI
My scanner is a generic.

Is there a preferred after market scanner that will do vag-com? Every time I’ve tried to buy something that claims to do vag it ends up not working.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
My scanner is a generic.
Is there a preferred after market scanner that will do vag-com? Every time I’ve tried to buy something that claims to do vag it ends up not working.
Have you tried OBD eleven?

kola8273

TDI
Ok so I bought an OBDeleven.

B10A915
Open Short to B+

The compressor just goes into safety mode. And shuts down so I don’t get any readings. It’s obvious an electrical issue. I can’t find wiring/relay diagrams. All I’ve been able to check is a visual inspection of the top side wiring.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
You either have an open or a short, can't have both. If it shorted and a fuse blew and it is now open. It is also possible a short in the AC compressor circuit causes a circuit breaker to open which would explain why it starts to run then shuts down right away. Maybe the rat chewed the wire.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I have the MK-7 HVAC troubleshooting and repair on a pdf (local) but I can't figure out how to link it here.

kola8273

TDI
I meant to write Open/Short... anyone have a wiring diagram or relay diagram? Or know the relays or which fuses to check?

I know I need to get under the car to check that wiring but wanted to check the easy stuff first.

kola8273

TDI
I have the MK-7 HVAC troubleshooting and repair on a pdf (local) but I can't figure out how to link it here.
That would be much appreciated! You can share a link of it if you put it in google drive. Or you can email it to me if you like. I can share it to this post for future people looking for answers.

rob.kolari@gmail.com

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I just sent it. It quite large and I briefly scrolled thru it but didn't see any actual wiring diagrams but it does show where everything is located. The factory service manual it comes from is for the MK-7 GSW Gasoline models and does not include the TDI, there may or may not be any differences in component locations. I doubt seriously if there are any differences at all unless the compressor is located differently on the engine.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I'm thinking if you remove the lower cover you may find the rat's nest along with some damaged wiring, the lower cover with its insulation pad makes a very nice rat condo.

funoutdoors121

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW S 6MT
Hi Rob,
Would be great if you could post that PDF here or provide a link to it if at all possible, as the more info we can have on how to troubleshoot our cars, the better!
Thanks,
Best Regards!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Please remember, folks, that we shouldn't be publicly posting manuals that are copyrighted. What you do in private email or text is your business, but on a public member forum like this, not a good idea.