Build Update CJAA

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Congrats Travis.:cool: It's good to see it back running again. Engine is sounding great. 250 miles already! Soon you will have first oil change and can start pushing it more. I look forward to seeing what the build will bring power wise.
A few comments for other peoples benefit. The valve train design was an interesting undertaking. Part of the process was putting a set of Colt's Stage 2 cams in an engine mockup and finding exact lifts at all the durations. I also had to make a small set of mechanical adjustable lifters to di this properly. This data gave us guidance on piston valve reliefs, but also maximized the Dark Side spring seat pressure while still leaving comfortable room for above coil bind. Exhaust side spring pockets were counter bored and shims were put on the intake side to optimize setup. I can't give numbers away on Colts' cam but it is aggressive and you must do a proper check when assembling aftermarket valve train like this. I would not consider this cam a drop in and go setup. If you go back to my original thread you will see I had valve reliefs cut in my piston tops. I will post a few views from the valve train drawing when I get a chance.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Can't wait to see this beast churning out 300+ hp on the dyno! Nice work guys.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Can't wait to see this beast churning out 300+ hp on the dyno! Nice work guys.
I am not quit sure where the injector limits are but certainly all the right elements are there to go well past 300hp. Combined with the dsg this is one quick ride for sure. Travis has something to be proud about.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Would have quit without Mr. Synchros' help.

Got the 2700 bar rail sensor in tonight with a freshly tweeked tune from Mark Malone. Runs terrific. EMP is closer to 1:1 with boost. Feels like it's at a good starting point to work up the rail pressure.

https://youtu.be/SLlj3yxHOZ8

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
neat seeing via the boost gauge when the computer cuts fuel on shifts
DSGs are magic

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Car is running pretty good. Still working a few bugs out. Some glow plug issues here. Can't figure out if it is because I turned them on for some long burns 30 seconds + or if this is just cylinder temps. My EGTs are running quite low though. Around 650°C after longer multi gear wot pulls.

Any ideas appreciated. Will be monitoring them carefully.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow just ran across your build - this thing looks awesome! I'm Stage 3 and this looks like an animal in comparison! Also Im located in Northern IL, not sure where abouts in Wisconsin you are near.
Green Bay area

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
How is the DSG holding up to this kind of power?
Doing fine so far. Could use a bit of refinement in the tune. Clunks a bit into gear when cold, but I'm not bothered by it. Clamping pressure is over 16bar I believe. Can't remember exactly.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Fresh tune. Still working on dialing up the rail pressure.

Spins the tires on dry pavement with the Wavetrac LSD quite easily. (EMP gauge is plugged)

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
That's gotta be fun to be able to spin the tires at will in 3rd gear.😊👍 Sounds like you could use some stickier tires once you wear the current set out.;)
Is your goal to be able to spin the tires in 5th when it's wet out?🤣

Keep up the progress and try to keep it together until next spring so we can attend a few track days.:cool:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
That is really nice pull , I like it a lot.
You really need one of those 3D clusters :):

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn't say I have fuel issues. The engine was blown up for most of the last two years hahaha!