What did you do to your MKIV today?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I went to the Pick-n-Pull today and found a black-trimmed rear view mirror in a Passat. Purchased the mirror for a very low price and installed it into my Jetta Wagon. It was the same exact shaped mirror and swapped right onto the windshield mount. The black mirror looks a lot nicer than the light-grey mirror, from both the exterior and interior.

befarrer

TDI
05 Golf
I am re-installing my interior, started off last weekend with an airbag fault I decided to repair, turned out the carpet underlay was soaked on both sides from leaking sunroof drains. I ended up pulling the headliner as well, driving it for a couple days in the rain we have been having to see if I get anymore leaks, all seems well, so its going back together.

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Installed rear suspension on the Golf yesterday. Bilstein TC Sports with Jetta wagon springs. Disassembled the front and discovered the power steering rack was leaking badly. New one in today. About to go pick up and install then reassemble rest of front end with Bilsteing TC SPorts and VR6 springs and one 10mm spacer. Off for an alignment on Monday.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
MKIV Family Portrait

Rocker panel and fender rust is repaired on IBW, and the Golf has its new heater core. At this moment they're together and running well.

672,500 miles combined. That's typical, right? :D

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Checked the tire pressure before leaving work this morning. Car has been running really well recently and with the stay at home order I’ve only filled up once in the last 4 weeks (only driving 80mi round trip to work 2x a week). We also paid off my wife’s car last week so it’s nice looking outside and seeing two paid for cars!

03Wagn

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon
I adjusted my ip timing. Checked it with vcds and it was at 35, managed to get it to 59 on my 3rd try.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Finished taking the interior out of a euro golf GTI that I’m parting out.

Going to harbor freight to pick up a sand blaster so I can clean up the control arms, sub frame, spindles, and rear axle beam I took out of the GTI so I can swap them into my Jetta wagon.
Also getting ready to finish up swapping the GTI recaro seats and red strip seat belts into the wagon also.
Also will swap the GTI front clip on to the wagon also.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Finished taking the interior out of a euro golf GTI that I’m parting out.

Going to harbor freight to pick up a sand blaster so I can clean up the control arms, sub frame, spindles, and rear axle beam I took out of the GTI so I can swap them into my Jetta wagon.
Also getting ready to finish up swapping the GTI recaro seats and red strip seat belts into the wagon also.
Also will swap the GTI front clip on to the wagon also.
Guessing youre buying an outdoor sand blaster. Fair warning, sand blasters use a LOT of CFM. My advice is let the blaster pressure pot and your compressor fill to max PSI and blast til the compressor comes back on. Once it shuts off, repeat the process.

Also, what makes a euro Golf GTI so special? I genuinely don't know...

carl20320

TDI
2004 Mk4 Golf GLS TDI 5spd
Installed reman power steering rack, VR6 front springs, struts with Bilsteingt TC Sports, ball joints and tie rod ends.

Get to do wheel bearings next once place to get them opens up on Tuesday (unless when I call tomorrow they answer).

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Guessing youre buying an outdoor sand blaster. Fair warning, sand blasters use a LOT of CFM. My advice is let the blaster pressure pot and your compressor fill to max PSI and blast til the compressor comes back on. Once it shuts off, repeat the process.
Also, what makes a euro Golf GTI so special? I genuinely don't know...

Thanks for the heads up

A euro GTI is very similar to our 337/20AE. So a 2 door 1.8T with a 6 Spd.
It has no sunroof with a black headliner and cloth recaro seats with red trim.

I got it from GKN as a scrap car that was not able to be put an the road. It doesn’t have any damage or mec issues it just doesn’t have title and doesn’t pass safety standards for the US.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Thanks for the heads up
A euro GTI is very similar to our 337/20AE. So a 2 door 1.8T with a 6 Spd.
It has no sunroof with a black headliner and cloth recaro seats with red trim.
I got it from GKN as a scrap car that was not able to be put an the road. It doesn’t have any damage or mec issues it just doesn’t have title and doesn’t pass safety standards for the US.
Aside from maker of CV joints, who is this GKN you sourced the beast from?
Thanks!
Douglas

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Just sold my 2000 Jetta and I have a busted original CV axle, driver's side. If anyone wants it come and pick it up.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
They make suspension part and driveline parts. The car was used for parts testing as they are a OEM parts supplier for VW.
Ah yes, a buddies dad works for Champion spark plug. He's gotten a few cars over the years with no engine and a salvage title. Less than 1k miles. Slams an engine in them and drives them forever. Latest was a Mini Cooper a few years ago...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Helped a friend purchase a 2002 wagon TDI today. Supposedly has 181k on it, but looking over the engine, it's been swapped in. It still has the NB proprietary power steering line brackets in it, with no NB power steering lines actually in it. Plus it has the aluminum coolant flange... With an automatic powered car. Somehow they tapped the trans cooler in. Works though, so. Thumbs up.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Went back to the Pick-N-Pull and purchased GLI Black Seat Belt Covers. I also found a two-tone mirror in a MK5 wagon, that had a black mount, black plastic trim facing the window and light grey plastic trim facing the driver. Same exact size and fit as a MK4 mirror and actually looks good. The black mirror still disappears when viewing from outside the car, but it matches the light grey roof and plastics of the interior ceiling trim.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Went back to the Pick-N-Pull and purchased GLI Black Seat Belt Covers. I also found a two-tone mirror in a MK5 wagon, that had a black mount, black plastic trim facing the window and light grey plastic trim facing the driver. Same exact size and fit as a MK4 mirror and actually looks good. The black mirror still disappears when viewing from outside the car, but it matches the light grey roof and plastics of the interior ceiling trim.
Was the mirror manual or an auto dimming on a rain sensor mount?
My experience shows there are 3 color combos - all black, black w/tan trim & the black w/grey like you mentioned.
I swapped an all black onto a normal windshield mount and it’s a nice updated look.
Keep your eye out for auto dimming mirrors in Audi A4/B7 Cabrio’s they’re the most likely to have a normal windshield mount and should have the “hidden” compass feature.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Was the mirror manual or an auto dimming on a rain sensor mount?
My experience shows there are 3 color combos - all black, black w/tan trim & the black w/grey like you mentioned.
I swapped an all black onto a normal windshield mount and it’s a nice updated look.
Keep your eye out for auto dimming mirrors in Audi A4/B7 Cabrio’s they’re the most likely to have a normal windshield mount and should have the “hidden” compass feature.
There were some A4/A6 cars out in the yard. I removed one and it used the same windshield mount, but it had plastic trim that extended to the headliner with wires hidden under the plastic trim. I wasn't sure what to do with all that stuff, if I used the mirror in my wagon, so I just left it all on the dash for someone else to retrieve. Is that the same kind as what you're talking about? It had a little window on the lower right part of the mirror glass. Not sure what that was for.

Here's the two-tone MK5 mirror that I installed in my MK4 wagon:

I also have the all-black Passat mirror, that I purchased last week from the yard. I found the two-tone and bought it because it was in great shape and thought it would be fun to have options, since it's so easy to swap them out. Plus, they're ridiculously affordable at the Pick-n-Pull.

Last edited:

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Today I installed my Bilstein TCs on their third car. I think they're at around 250 - 300k km now, still producing rattles in the cabin, no sign of fatigue.

Wait actually they're second hand. No idea of their actual mileage.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Did some bodywork, not perfect but it's no show car. Just a bit more sanding and get the right color mixed tomorrow.
Before and after [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Installed new shift cable (tiptronic) and discovered other issues. Shot inner left cv boot, broken coolant nipple, leaky oil catchcan lines. Still more to go...ugh. Oh and I probably gotta do solenoids soon. I love'r when she's running though!

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Replaced the dog bone mount on my car, since I've verified that the oil leak which killed the last one has been remedied.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
There were some A4/A6 cars out in the yard. I removed one and it used the same windshield mount, but it had plastic trim that extended to the headliner with wires hidden under the plastic trim. I wasn't sure what to do with all that stuff, if I used the mirror in my wagon, so I just left it all on the dash for someone else to retrieve. Is that the same kind as what you're talking about? It had a little window on the lower right part of the mirror glass. Not sure what that was for.

Here's the two-tone MK5 mirror that I installed in my MK4 wagon:

I also have the all-black Passat mirror, that I purchased last week from the yard. I found the two-tone and bought it because it was in great shape and thought it would be fun to have options, since it's so easy to swap them out. Plus, they're ridiculously affordable at the Pick-n-Pull.

The little trim is where the wiring for the auto dim/compass is hidden. The "fit" should be pretty close, if not, you just trim the end where it would touch the head liner.
As for wiring, the simple is to tap into a switched 12v and ground, the 3rd wire would be to cancel the auto dimming when the car is put into reverse.
The mirror side of the connector will most likely have 6 wires (maybe 5), the car side will depend on the car it's from and what features/options it has.
I'd suggest popping the dome/sunroof controls out of which ever car you're getting the mirror from to gain access to as much "length" of wire on the car side of the car side connector.
The black "window" on the auto dim mirror is for the normal compass. If you can find a A4/B6 with the wire cover/trim (indicating auto dim) and no black window, it is most likely a "hidden compass". The compass designation appears in about the same place, but seems to "float", vs having the designated window.

PM me if you're interested in building your own auto dim, and I'll answer any questions you have.
If nothing else, grab the hidden compass (w/ car side connector/wires) and sell them.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
I found one brushed aluminum GLI door lever, last trip to the yard. I installed the lever into the left rear door. Pretty easy to pop the lever out of the plastic surround and swap it into the door. Now I just need three more.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Installed a new catch can and replaced manual trans oil with synchromesh.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Installed a Curt 11066 hitch receiver on the 2003 Golf.

Once I decided to completely disregard the instruction sheet and figure it out for myself, installation went much easier.
(I proceeded in pretty much the reverse order of what the instructions suggest - and had to drill a couple more holes than the instruction sheet seemed to think I would.)

I was seriously looking at a Bosal or Westfalia hitch that attaches to the frame rails, but given that a bike rack is going to be on the receiver as much as a trailer, and the fact that the Bosal/Westy was double-and-then-some the price, I decided to go with the Curt.

One side attaches to the rear tow hook (so that's fairly solid), while the other side has five bolts (three vertical, two horizontal) drilled into the spare tire well.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Got my new to me roof rack cleaned up installed yesterday, got the fairing installed this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Finally finished work on the Jetta. Couple weeks ago replaced shocks/struts w/ some orange Koni's. Beef on a budget springs from IDParts. Ended up replacing both ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, got some new control arms, new power steering pressure hose and fluid flush w/ some Pentosin CH11S, a new downpipe. Turned both tie rods in same amount of turns, steering wheel still cockeyed a little. Test drive was ok, can't tell how straight it tracks, road sucks.I'll have to get an alignment anyway. I filled the gearbox w/ some syncromesh. I did a half ass fix for the 5th gear, didn't try it yet. Still haven't heard back from local tranny shop. It drives fine 1-4 anyway, and still was getting 44mpg:cool:...went to put new TDI Club plate frameon back-the one nut fell into oblivion, then when I went to tighten other one it just spins, so off to parts store in morning to try and find some nylon inserts:mad:. Found some body plugs for underneath a couple weeks ago, put them in with silicone caulk last week, then sprayed some black Flex Seal over them today.