I miss the ol'e days

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I miss the ol'e days...the oil wars debates...Laminar flow arguments...tire pressure combats on this forum...no one argues anymore...whats up ???
Skypup , dieseldorf, Lug_Nut , n1das, Drivebiwire

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If you're not changing your oil every 3000miles with the cheapest 10w30 oil you can find, you're an idiot.
(How's that? :D)

If you're looking for heated "discussion" that ranges from informed and well-reasoned, to half-baked speculation and opinion, you need to check out the EV thread.

Last edited:

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I was always told that synthetic oil was only good for 3k miles. Thats why I use Havoline conventional oil so I extend my oil change to 10k miles... ;)

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I heard about this oil named ToofTek that's supposed to be GREAT! Something like a 50k mile change interval and only $1/qt!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
I miss the ol'e days...the oil wars debates...Laminar flow arguments...tire pressure combats on this forum...no one argues anymore...whats up ???
You forgot nitrogen in tires increasing tire life and fuel economy, running cars on grease, biodiesel is bad no matter what in any concentration, redline gear oil extending the life of transmissions and differentials to one billion miles...hmmm what else?

People defending mark and pray tB jobs, 'my chip is better than yours' vendor pissing matches (where's Charlie?)

Edit to add: acetone in diesel doubles fuel economy.

Last edited:

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M

Don't forget the Upsolute turbo wars with Oldman, dzljet, Boundless, Davin, AtomicSushi, Rene, etc. Those were pretty epic too...

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
A remember, 'Diesel Secret Energy' (DSE) and 'Brown's Gas' (HHO) are still on the banned subject list.

:p

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Synthetic oil???? Just get the jug of Wesson oil from walmart.........

Eric

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I too enjoy a good spirited discussion every now and again. But people have gotten so thin skinned it takes much of the fun out of it. I remember one entertaining thread about whether or not car forums are social media.
Gotten so I try to answer in the most non-confrontational even apologetic manner possible. Twice I've been threatened via PM for giving advice/opinion.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I can't anymore. I'll get banned! Bit I will argue if you want it! Just not here lol
We argue plenty. Especially when somone wants to do things like a stage 0 tune or trying to cheap out on parts.
Dont forget fuel additive placebos and what fuel is best bs.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I too enjoy a good spirited discussion every now and again. But people have gotten so thin skinned it takes much of the fun out of it. I remember one entertaining thread about whether or not car forums are social media.
Gotten so I try to answer in the most non-confrontational even apologetic manner possible. Twice I've been threatened via PM for giving advice/opinion.
pfff. you have thin skin..

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Those aren't arguments, they're scoldings!
Cheers,
PH
lol, maybe you missed the MANY posts that got deleted. like 3 pages of that thread got deleted and many of us got a shellacking for it lol. can't be in a TDI group if you DELETE THE TURBO
you know you done good when the thread gets LOCKED... HA
my favorit still to this day is that 12 days of VW TDI song and the threads that turn from how do i fix this to a lesson in how everyone is ignorant about basic physics. Problem is that this group grew up (well some of us)!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Okay, Phoenix for the 'We-survived Covid-19 (so far) 2020, Tdi Fest.'

Hotels nearby: figure it out yerselves, numb nuts! Whaddayawant? Catered lobster cream puffs?

When: whenever enough of you knuckleheads get off your butts and do a poll.

Main attractions: Good-ole oil argument session, tune arguments, swap meet (bleach your damned parts!)

Featured presenters: any knucklehead willing to gab into a microphone but shuts up after their time is up.

And keep yer social damn distance.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I really miss the "old days", too. When the PD was "new technology". When we were learning so many new things from veteran members who are missing/not contributing now. When the mileage threads were (most) popular and mattered. When someone got banned now and then.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Okay, Phoenix for the 'We-survived Covid-19 (so far) 2020, Tdi Fest.'

Hotels nearby: figure it out yerselves, numb nuts! Whaddayawant? Catered lobster cream puffs?

When: whenever enough of you knuckleheads get off your butts and do a poll.

Main attractions: Good-ole oil argument session, tune arguments, swap meet (bleach your damned parts!)

Featured presenters: any knucklehead willing to gab into a microphone but shuts up after their time is up.

And keep yer social damn distance.
Yeah, that lot on the corner of Cactus and Tumbleweed! Across from 'Git Yer Guns'!