Timing Belt Change

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
I'm planning to change the timing belt/water pump myself.
Anybody has done it themselves ? any gotchas ?

I have the service manual and youtube videos, does not seem very difficult.

Is the kit from IDPARTS any good ?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It isn't hard but it is kind of an exact science. IDParts is probably one of the better places to get your kit from. Follow the directions and use the proper tools and you shouldn't have any problems. Don't deviate and go off on your own though.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
By OEM you mean the dealer? IDParts sells quality kits and I would have no issues buying from them and have many times. I think many of their parts are OEM sourced parts or excellent secondary mfg's.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
By OEM you mean the dealer? IDParts sells quality kits and I would have no issues buying from them and have many times. I think many of their parts are OEM sourced parts or excellent secondary mfg's.
sorry, I meant "Genuine VAG parts" . VAG parts seem to run double what IDPARTS asks. are we just paying for the name or is it actually better?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Call and talk to IDParts. I think you will find that they carry "Genuine VAG parts" as well as others. As I said I would have no problems with anything they have for sale. They are a participating member here and have always provided me with excellent service and parts over the years. Many others here could say the same thing.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
how ? lift up the engine just enough to pass the belt and rest it back ?
it only has to be pulled to get the tensioner off. well if the stud is pulled it can save you an hour. 12 minute mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=881JtT3HMPs
here is another good one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19PgrQc7wkI just skip the engine mount removal. you do need some special tools. crank retainer, cam and hpfp pins, tensioner pin, and a spanner wrench. also a good time to replace your coolant.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's not difficult at all on the commonrails, just lock everything down as needed and follow instructions . Removing the tensioner stud is absolutely the way to go. Safer, faster, better.

Last edited:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
But my car is a mk7 with CRUA engine. Engine mount has to go in order to remove the belt.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
the timing system is about 90% of the same (different water pump), plus you don't have the booster fuel pump as the Gen1 cars that needs to be splayed out of the way.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Motor mount has to come off, you can't pull the stud like on the CKRA.
I've pulled mine when I did the CP3 fuel pump. You can watch the video from myturbodiesel.com and it's almost the exact same. The cam lock procedure is slightly different so pay close attention there in your manual. The crank lock, cam lock from previous CR timing belt tool kits work here as well.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
a few questions:

1. what is the preferred method to support the engine ? (from top or below)
2. it is not very clear how to remove/reinstall the lower belt cover, there is some kind of breakable tab ?
3. the camshaft sprocket central bolt has to be loosened, then retightened using the counterhold spanner. torque spec is 100NM, how easy/hard is it ?
4. to loosened/retorque the high pressure fuel pump sprocket central bolt, is it necessary to counterhold on the camshaft sprocket with the belt on ?

thanks for any input.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Starts on page 105 of the ErWin "Engine Mechanical, Fuel Injection and Glow Plug" manual. :D

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
a few questions:
1. what is the preferred method to support the engine ? (from top or below)
2. it is not very clear how to remove/reinstall the lower belt cover, there is some kind of breakable tab ?
3. the camshaft sprocket central bolt has to be loosened, then retightened using the counterhold spanner. torque spec is 100NM, how easy/hard is it ?
4. to loosened/retorque the high pressure fuel pump sprocket central bolt, is it necessary to counterhold on the camshaft sprocket with the belt on ?
thanks for any input.
1. From above
2. Don't worry about the breakable tab, I had no problem reinstalling. I think it's something to aid in faster engine assembly
3. Use the cam sprocket counterhold tool (TB tool kit)
4. I don't recall having to loosen the CP4 sprocket unless you're pulling the pump for some reason?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
There's always the beloved Herm-o-hanger:

Even comes with its own instructions. :D

Last edited:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
was quoted $1500 by the dealer, but that's without coolant flush I imagine.

So far I'm shopping for parts. The OEM water pump is quite expensive ($400). HEPU seems to have a nice one (P669) for half the price or so.
I figure $400 or so for parts (OEM but not genuine), $250 for tools. and $100 for misc supplies, coolant for flushing, etc.
so we are talking $800 in parts (rounded) and maybe 5 hours of labour (have manual and youtube videos).
what do you guys think ?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The pumps have gone up!
My dealer has one for $345 here
Back when I replaced my fuel pump, I thought I had a small leak coming from the pump and purchased one just in case. Still have it, brand new in box. It may not be the most updated revision though.

As for engine hoist, it works just fine! The one you linked could be great for clutch jobs though.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
The pumps have gone up!
My dealer has one for $345 here
Back when I replaced my fuel pump, I thought I had a small leak coming from the pump and purchased one just in case. Still have it, brand new in box. It may not be the most updated revision though.

As for engine hoist, it works just fine! The one you linked could be great for clutch jobs though.
That's a good price. I just ordered the kit from IDPARTS. Will let you guys know how it goes. I also found a claimed new pump on ebay for $59. different part number but looks identical to the OEM one. P/N is 010157801 which is for a Tiguan. could be an old one where there is a different part number for the frame of the pump and the rest. Otherwise, correct part number is 04L121011P for a current new OEM,

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
oh god, stay away from ebay. is it worth 3K to save a couple bucks?

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
water pump procedure?!?

The manual calls for draining coolant before removing the coolant pump. Then it also details the painful way to fill and bleed the coolant. I still have a headache from reading it (specialized equipment required).

On the videos I found on youtube. people just remove the pump, dumping coolant all over, and then just refill the expansion bowl and call it a day.

Anybody has any experience with that ?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
You can try and drain from one of the lower hoses, but you're still gonna get dumped on when removing the pump.
Refilling this car is easy, but takes time. You can run the two auxiliary pumps with VCDS, but in my experience it didn't help much. First fill should be to the brim of the bottle, and you should drive the car to get up to temp (or idle forever). I believe I ended up having to refill the bottle 2 or 3 times and then it was good. Just keep coolant/distilled water with you!

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
You can try and drain from one of the lower hoses, but you're still gonna get dumped on when removing the pump.
Refilling this car is easy, but takes time. You can run the two auxiliary pumps with VCDS, but in my experience it didn't help much. First fill should be to the brim of the bottle, and you should drive the car to get up to temp (or idle forever). I believe I ended up having to refill the bottle 2 or 3 times and then it was good. Just keep coolant/distilled water with you!

did you actually drain from the lower hose (radiator) ?
I'm worried doing so will introduce even more air in the circuit.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I haven't replaced my water pump. Just some other work that resulted in a gallon or two of coolant loss. I am not sure how much more could have been in the system compared to a water pump replacement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
That's a good price. I just ordered the kit from IDPARTS. Will let you guys know how it goes. I also found a claimed new pump on ebay for $59. different part number but looks identical to the OEM one. P/N is 010157801 which is for a Tiguan. could be an old one where there is a different part number for the frame of the pump and the rest. Otherwise, correct part number is 04L121011P for a current new OEM,
good price? that pump could be had for 260