BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Just look for a B5 or B5.5 gas V6 manual transmission, driver side transmission mount bracket and you will get the correct part number. The passenger side transmission mount bracket is the same as the one you already have with the automatic transmission. As for the rubber transmission mounts/pillows, they are the same as the automatic transmission you already have.
Are you saying that you can use the passenger side transmission bracket is the same for an auto and manual? If so, that is not correct. The auto is much wider than a manual and uses different brackets.

The passenger side mount from a manual car is the same for V6 or 1.8t. The driver side needs the V6 mount if you are keeping the TDI sub frame. If you swap the TDI subframe with 1.8t manual subframe, then you can use the transmission mount from a 1.8t manual

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I don't remember buying a passenger side transmission mount whey I did my swap. But that was 5 years and several car project ago so my memory could be off.

Daen00

TDI
B 5.5
The 6 cyl tdi transmission will indeed bolt up to the 4 cyl tdi engine. The bolt pattern is the same at the 4 cyl 01E transmission.

If you need any more convincing that it will fit, I can send you pictures of the FRF 6 cyl 6 speed that has been in my car for the last 200k miles.
Do i need that platw between trany and engine?

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
Do i need that platw between trany and engine?
That's determined by your choice of clutch and flywheel, not by the engine/transmission. A 240mm clutch will typically need a spacer. An 01E very much prefers a DMF, rather than a SMF and spring clutch disc, which combined with a 240mm clutch means you need the spacer to prevent the clutch from running against the bellhousing

Daen00

TDI
B 5.5
That's determined by your choice of clutch and flywheel, not by the engine/transmission. A 240mm clutch will typically need a spacer. An 01E very much prefers a DMF, rather than a SMF and spring clutch disc, which combined with a 240mm clutch means you need the spacer to prevent the clutch from running against the bellhousing
Thanks.....cause is hard to find a spacer......

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
All of the VW/Audi longitudinal manual transaxles have a dual bolt pattern and will fit any VW watercooled engine, 4,5, 6 or 8 cylinder.
This isn't true, after 2002. later engines have bolt patterns that have different bolting patterns.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
That spacer from audi s4 2004 is the same?
This is the correct part number i believe, 01E103551B easy to find in europe got it here for less then $50Cdn

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
Can/Gateway: Set coding to 006. Same as before but it will force the gateway to relearn installed modules.

ABS - Recode:
Login to enable coding 09555
Recode to 04255
NOW perform steering angle sensor calibration. (Failure to compelete this will cause the coding not to complete.) Login to enable Basic Settings (40168)
Perform G85 calibration in Basic Settings group 001
[/QUOTE]

Before all this you need to change engine soft code to 0150032 or 0150031. It fixes most communication errors

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, 04 Passat Wagon
Rear main seal was just starting to leak, so I replaced it:

Installing the clutch line. This was the worst part of the install, and you'll want to do this with the trans out. ELSA tells you to remove the brake booster. The lower torx bolt is a PITA. Some have been able to bend the line slightly to get it to fit. I didn't want to force it through, so I loosed the booster and pulled it forward an inch. Un-thread the bolts almost all the way - they are pretty long. Clutch line position from underneath:

I reused all the original grommets, just poked a hole in them for the lines to go through.

New dowel pins: (old one in the pic for comparison)

Side by side comparison for size (I can actually pickup the 6 speed by myself!):

Old starter and new starter (now go sell yours to someone else!):

You will have to remove the turbo support bracket. I am looking into finding a different one that fits, or fabricating something. I also had to unbolt the a/c compressor to get the starter in. Yes - it's that big... :)

Fits like a glove:

They left an access hole in the driver's side mount to tighten the bolt....
Hello, what did you end up doing with the turbo support? I finally got all the pieces together and we’re currently intalling a DQS with the 240 clutch into my 2004 Passat but the starter and the turbo support don’t like each other.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I can't remember to be honest, it was so long ago now! I suspect I just ran without one. I'll be taking the car apart this winter so I can have a look then.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello, what did you end up doing with the turbo support? I finally got all the pieces together and we’re currently intalling a DQS with the 240 clutch into my 2004 Passat but the starter and the turbo support don’t like each other.
Made a new one mounted on top off the engine mount

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
I haven't had a turbo support for 3.5 years, and I'm running a bigger, heavier turbo than stock on an OEM manifold

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, 04 Passat Wagon
Hi, we took the advice of leavin it off. Project is just about complete. It’s drivable, needs the tune. It took a long time getting all the pieces for the conversion. The list in this thread is not complete but very, very helpful I had a bunch of questions but got it figured.
I only made two screw-ups. One was getting the wrong timing kit for the AVF, as it was from an 2002 Audi and the tensioner was the old style and the other was the wrong clutch stainless braided hose.
My car is a 04 Passat wagon tdi with a toasted auto trans, got it for $700. Brought in an AVF motor (200k Kms) from UK which has the manual crank, no pilot bearing worries. Also, no balance shaft crap. the gearbox from Germany is a rebuild DQS 6 speed and hooked up to a 240 clutch.
All the other bits came from eBay, Poland and other former eastern block countrys, very reasonable prices and before COVID hit, shipping costs to Canada were reasonable. Completely insane shipping costs now.
I need to thank my friend Peter, the Mechanical genius that put the bits and pieces together into my car, I helped but most likely made more work for my buddy. also, the many members here that provided their expertise answering my very many questions, Thank you all.

Last edited:

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
stealth vending not allowed. You have to register. See the stickies.
Hi, we took the advice of leavin it off. Project is just about complete. It’s drivable, needs the tune. It took a long time getting all the pieces for the conversion. The list in this thread is not complete but very, very helpful I had a bunch of questions but got it figured.
I only made two screw-ups. One was getting the wrong timing kit for the AVF, as it was from an 2002 Audi and the tensioner was the old style and the other was the wrong clutch stainless braided hose.
My car is a 04 Passat wagon tdi with a toasted auto trans, got it for $700. Brought in an AVF motor (200k Kms) from UK which has the manual crank, no pilot bearing worries. Also, no balance shaft crap. the gearbox from Germany is a rebuild DQS 6 speed and hooked up to a 240 clutch.
All the other bits came from eBay, Poland and other former eastern block countrys, very reasonable prices and before COVID hit, shipping costs to Canada were reasonable. Completely insane shipping costs now.
I need to thank my friend Peter, the Mechanical genius that put the bits and pieces together into my car, I helped but most likely made more work for my buddy. also, the many members here that provided their expertise answering my very many questions, Thank you all.
Need help with that tune let me know.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
Could be worse, kerma and dbw fans are much more aggressive...
Yep it get's hilarious when they all start defending their pricey tunes that started from the same pyramid scheme. 👀

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Paid my money to Malone, on my 6spd swap, got a tune that performs exactly the way I want - turns off all the autobox warning lights and stage 2 power - take your concerns to the vendor thread.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
LMFAO got a "stealth vending" warning for offering someone help, is this forum run by 10 year olds?

arjax

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 allroad TDI BHW swap 6spd code GLX, 2014 Q5 3.0L TDI
I have a couple of questions on mounts I am hoping someone can give me some guidance on...I just finished up swapping a BHW into my 01 allroad. There is fairly significant vibration at idle and then as you come into a stop.

I purchased new OEM mounts but just realized there are left and right. I had assumed they were the same until after I got the engine and noticed that one had the grey rubber protective sleeve. Would that be a cause for vibration?

I had to modify the front clip for the intercooler pipe but as you can see in the pic my snub mount is not within the space on the engine. Is that okay or could that be an issue?