Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I don't think either milaca or cambridge count as "the cities" :p
you damn right!
I like the guy in Milaca better anyway haha

insert funny telecom joke...
:D:D
oop's i meant to write that there's you (in cambridge) and the other guys name is Tony in Milaca. Apparently I shouldn't post on here right after an algebra test... can't get my thought's together lol

BTW. sorry I never back to you on having those injectors rebuilt. They've been doing good, so i just keep putting it off....
no worries! I always tell my customers it's best if I don't hear from them. :)

Legolas337

TDI
2011 sportwagen tdi
Just got a quote from the dealer in Duluth for the timing belt and water pump at 1430$ wondering if there is anyone in the area that is good and willing to do for less? I did a quick search and didn't find anything. Might end up having then do it. It's a 2011jsw tdi. Thanks

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Just got a quote from the dealer in Duluth for the timing belt and water pump at 1430$ wondering if there is anyone in the area that is good and willing to do for less? I did a quick search and didn't find anything. Might end up having then do it. It's a 2011jsw tdi. Thanks
there us a euro shop by duluth. ill see if i can find it for you.
DMC Auto Repair & Welding
36 W Central Entrance, Duluth,
Duluth, MN
(218) 729-4788

Autobahn Service and Repair
2204 W Michigan St, Duluth
(218) 464-1863

Foreign Affairs of Duluth, Inc.
722 E 9th St, Duluth
(218) 722-2246

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
if your up for a 2hr. drive Tony in milaca, MN at precision imports is great. he does awesome work, and has good customer service. idk what his quote on something newer like that would be but he quoted me like $600 for my alh one.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
what do you guys thing a good vinyl color on a white gold metallic wagen would be. thinking of getting the large vinyl that is between the fender arches on either side. so a large vinyl

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
like trim between the wheel wells? or along the runner boards? sorry having a bit of a hard time picturing it, and wanting to make sure im envisioning it right
do you have any accents? if so adding a bit more of that color car really make the car pop and look nice. it can bring out some of those smaller pieces, and look nice

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
like trim between the wheel wells? or along the runner boards? sorry having a bit of a hard time picturing it, and wanting to make sure im envisioning it right
do you have any accents? if so adding a bit more of that color car really make the car pop and look nice. it can bring out some of those smaller pieces, and look nice
this is what im looking at
Was going to do gold on my blue wagen. but now ive got a white/ gold wagen

https://www.ebay.com/itm/97-5-Multi-Color-Graphic-for-Golf-SportWagen-Alltrack-Car-Racing-Decal-Sticker/112436326736?var=412827233459

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
ahh, ok ya ive seen them online before. Well i'd say part of it is personal opinion, everyone likes something a little different. That being said i could maybe give you a direction to head, but obviously in the end it's your choice in what you want. are your windows tinted? doesn't make a huge difference, but it may change the look depending on what color you get. also is this more of the silver white gold? or the creme white gold? (only reason i ask is cause ive seen people kinda mix the two) im assuming silvery color, but just to make sure...
if it's silver like white gold then.

Black: always looks good especially if you have black rims, black head lights (like around the light reflecting piece), the chrome window trim wrapped, or tinted windows. don't need all of it but one or two of those things help bring the color out.
if it's on the white side of that white gold spectrum id say that gold would still work, and could look nice especially with gold rims. but if you don't think youd like the look then pick something else.

Light blue: last car was blue, so assuming you like that color...
id say as long as you have some same/similar accents it will look nice. could probably have it be the only piece, but trims like that always look better if they compliment something else on the car.
you have a nice color car for adding cosmetics. white gold is a good color you can add too, and it's hard to go wrong. a lot of colors will go with white, so part of it is up to you, and what you like. Adding a few other things to the car always helps tho like matching rims, or tire nozzle caps that match the vinyl, wrapping certain parts of the car, ect. you can also get creative and do interior stuff if you really like to help bring it all together.
Idk if that helps, but hopefully i did a little.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
also im just going off the colors in the link you had...
Well. i was deliberating between black, light blue, or the golden one.lol.. you must have not seen this paint code before. its more a cream silver. its almost a pearl. the metallic changes color based on the angle. i really liked the blue wagen. but the orange peal in the factory paint is horrendous.
My windows arent tinted..yet... And I plan on blacking out the trim. I want to put some smaller red vinyls on it. so i guess black it is. will also help match my engine and battery cover too.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Well. i was deliberating between black, light blue, or the golden one.lol.. you must have not seen this paint code before. its more a cream silver. its almost a pearl. the metallic changes color based on the angle. i really liked the blue wagen. but the orange peal in the factory paint is horrendous.
My windows arent tinted..yet... And I plan on blacking out the trim. I want to put some smaller red vinyls on it. so i guess black it is. will also help match my engine and battery cover too.
nope, sorry haven't seen that paint code yet lol. I was just picturing it all in my head, and thinking of what might look nice.
ok, ya black goes with most everything, and if your having your windows tinted and trim blacked out it'll really look nice. maybe you'll have to post a pic when your done.
a friend had these put these on their car and they looked real nice. im not sure if this is the same brand, as these don't have that good of stars (theirs have withstood MN). said friend's car is white, but i almost wonder if you put them right above the vw lettering flush with it if it would look nice, so it'd look like one decal. if it were to fade into the tread markings (would have to measure and calculate i guess but...). idk what your thoughts on trees or if you like kinda that rugged look, but it was just something that popped into my head.
https://www.amazon.com/GreceYou-For...s=pine+tree+car+decals&qid=1581615928&sr=8-12

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
nope, sorry haven't seen that paint code yet lol. I was just picturing it all in my head, and thinking of what might look nice.
ok, ya black goes with most everything, and if your having your windows tinted and trim blacked out it'll really look nice. maybe you'll have to post a pic when your done.
a friend had these put these on their car and they looked real nice. im not sure if this is the same brand, as these don't have that good of stars (theirs have withstood MN). said friend's car is white, but i almost wonder if you put them right above the vw lettering flush with it if it would look nice, so it'd look like one decal. if it were to fade into the tread markings (would have to measure and calculate i guess but...). idk what your thoughts on trees or if you like kinda that rugged look, but it was just something that popped into my head.
https://www.amazon.com/GreceYou-For...s=pine+tree+car+decals&qid=1581615928&sr=8-12
its a very unique color. I really like it. If the blue was flawless it would be better. The trees are cool. But not the look i would be going for. If anything i would add either an eagle head or land of 10,000 lakes to denote im from minnesota. Im going for more a tuner type look.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Not TDI related. But it is mn related. I did this last year. I recognize this bike, but cant place him. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2726266264093179&id=100001294954601
hahaha! never tired this I don't own a bike, but i did go snowmobiling last year on our coldest day (college closed for the day) about -40 degrees (without wind chill). that was a fun ride:D
only in MN will you find that, and people driving verts with the top down in the winter lol!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
hahaha! never tired this I don't own a bike, but i did go snowmobiling last year on our coldest day (college closed for the day) about -40 degrees (without wind chill). that was a fun ride:D
only in MN will you find that, and people driving verts with the top down in the winter lol!
bit different on a bike. dont have the whole nose of the sled breaking wind. wind goes right up your legs. beating on your knuckles. its pretty brutal.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes I was quoted a low price for my timing belt at the Duluth dealer then they said it was $1350 as it took them 9 hours. I said no way a timing belt on an ALF can't take more than 4-5 hours. I held my ground and they dropped the bill to $800. Not great but ok.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Yes I was quoted a low price for my timing belt at the Duluth dealer then they said it was $1350 as it took them 9 hours. I said no way a timing belt on an ALF can't take more than 4-5 hours. I held my ground and they dropped the bill to $800. Not great but ok.
still selling the wagon, or going all in on it?

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
I have been on TDIClub a long time. Lived in the Dallas, Texas area for years. I moved up to the Mora, Minnesota area last July. I know in Dallas we had a group that got together on a regular basis sometimes just to drink adult beverages, sometimes to work on our cars or help the others do so. As soon as all this white crap is gone is there some type of group up here that does this?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I have been on TDIClub a long time. Lived in the Dallas, Texas area for years. I moved up to the Mora, Minnesota area last July. I know in Dallas we had a group that got together on a regular basis sometimes just to drink adult beverages, sometimes to work on our cars or help the others do so. As soon as all this white crap is gone is there some type of group up here that does this?
It would be fun to have a regular gathering.

The issue we've had at past GTGs is people would show up (often times brand new to the club*) with no intention of hanging out but instead just to get free service.

* I would amend this to say people would show up expecting to receive free service despite having not contributed much of anything to the club. This can be true for a veteran member as much as it is for a newbie.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
The issue we've had at past GTGs is people would show up (often times brand new to the club*) with no intention of hanging out but instead just to get free service.
* I would amend this to say people would show up expecting to receive free service despite having not contributed much of anything to the club. This can be true for a veteran member as much as it is for a newbie.
i havent contributed much to the site. should be an unwritten rule that you have to help with maintenance on your car. Tools are not cheap.Nor is the experience required to work on them. On a lighter note, i fired up my bike the other day. struggled a bit. But at no temperature outside. surprised the modified, carberated beast fired up at all. could smell the fuel. god i want summer. if it wasnt burried in snow, i might hade ridden it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
white crap? you mean the white fluffy stuff the comes from above and brings me joy?? lol:D jk i've had my fun with the snow for this year im ready for spring now, and so is my car, it's sick of consuming 80% diesel 20% salt lol.

I think it'd be neat to have a tdi gtg. maybe get to know a few of the other enthusiasts on here, ya know? Mora's only 15 min from my place. i'm about 15 min from both Cambridge and mora actually...
plus it'd be really nice if at some point i could have someone who knows vcds teach me a lil, or look at a couple vcds things on my car. It has a really hard cold start when -5 degrees or less, and i have everything else on it starting related new or checked to be sure it's good. Was thinking maybe slightly retarded after the last TB, but idk if thats how that works...

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
white crap? you mean the white fluffy stuff the comes from above and brings me joy?? lol:D jk i've had my fun with the snow for this year im ready for spring now, and so is my car, it's sick of consuming 80% diesel 20% salt lol.

I think it'd be neat to have a tdi gtg. maybe get to know a few of the other enthusiasts on here, ya know? Mora's only 15 min from my place. i'm about 15 min from both Cambridge and mora actually...
plus it'd be really nice if at some point i could have someone who knows vcds teach me a lil, or look at a couple vcds things on my car. It has a really hard cold start when -5 degrees or less, and i have everything else on it starting related new or checked to be sure it's good. Was thinking maybe slightly retarded after the last TB, but idk if thats how that works...
oh man, your car is retarted? im sorry. lol. just got to watch the injection timing with vcds. not that i have done it. im about 2 hr from mora. would be willing to bring tools and help with a g2g. i do gotta do a tb in 30k. shop quoted 1100 for t&m. Did you put the right glow plugs in? and have you had your injectors tested?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
be awesome if we could get someone from malone to come if someone had a g2g. the 1000 for tool rental for dsg tuning. ugh it would be almost 450 miles round trip. so about 7 hours. blarg

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
all you need is a 13mm short socket and ratchet, and a channellocks to adjust the timing
pull the timing cover, make note of where the three pump flange bolts are in their slots, loosen them (the pump shaft might jump forward or back at this point) then just set it a little bit clockwise of where it was and hold while tightening the 3 13's back up again

they might be 12mm heads if they've been replaced
if it is too far advanced it'll just set a totally ignorable trouble code, it'll set codes about 5 degrees before you even reach where it'll start nicest

if you manage to adjust it way too far you'll just have hard starting and bad fuel economy. You just about can't hurt these motors with the stock fuel injectors' output

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
We had a lot of great GTG back 10-15 years ago. At the time I didn't have kids and attended a bunch of them. I also had a almost new car at the time and mostly came for the social part and watching others work on their cars and to learn from them.

I always felt bad for GreenGeeker, because he was one busy man during most of these. Now days it would be hard for me to attend as there always seems to be kid stuff going on, GreenGeeker has more kids than I do! I don't know how he does it. Everyone needs to have fun, and everyone should bring some food/drinks to share.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
St. Croix Valley cruise/gtg, start in Taylor's falls, go down to Prescott, and back again, Minnesota side on the way there, Wisconsin side on the way back. Stop in Hudson for lunch.

Boom. No tools involved.

Someday we'll get everyone their own Ham radios and we'll make a thing of it... haha! Or everyone get a CB

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
oh man, your car is retarted? im sorry. lol. just got to watch the injection timing with vcds. not that i have done it. im about 2 hr from mora. would be willing to bring tools and help with a g2g. i do gotta do a tb in 30k. shop quoted 1100 for t&m. Did you put the right glow plugs in? and have you had your injectors tested?
haha lol, yes it has the personality of it's owner. oh wait maybe that's because i drive it...:D! i don't have vcds...yet. ive been told to get it, but haven't. mainly because idk how to use it...
ya i have the Bosch ones from a tdi site (idparts i think). Nope haven't touched the injectors(was thinking i may have them rebuilt, but idk yet), but i know it gives some white smoke on start up. I really should upload that video of start up...it's kinda bad lol. It'd be neat to learn/watch someone do a TB i have to so one in the red bug, or send it to Tonys (TDI shop).

Last edited: