Castrol Edge Prof no longer Sold at VW Dealers.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
That's right VW Canada has droped there agreement with Castrol Oil suplier VW now offers there own branded compatable approved oil wich is VW High Performance 0w30 vs 5w30 castrol the 0w30 still offers year round engine protection with a slight advantage at Cold start-up over a 5w30 since its a 0w its able to pump a little quicker at start-up to the top of the engine great Oil if You ask me. i just bought some last week to do my next oil change no price difference still the same as before and im using a MANN cartridge filter i bought at CT.
https://www.idparts.com/vw-high-performance-genuine-engine-oil-0w30-p-13000.html

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I bring in a 10 liter jug to my dealer and the parts guys fill it from their bulk tank for me. I save a bit, mostly on the recycle fees.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
I'm not sure that the dropping of Castrol isn't fully true.

I was told that VW Canada adopted going to 0W-30 VW 507 00. I was certain I read that it wasn't going to be a Castrol brand but something else.

Last week picked up a 10 bottles of the new stuff and found it to be Castol LLIII 0W-30 VW 507 00 rated stuff - so I wasn't really disappointed . This is going into my Touareg TDI - so we will see how well it performs.

(I had just changed my Jetta with the last of their 5W-30 LL03 stock the previous day)

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
Been a week now since last oil change. and i actually like the change over oil im now using from my local VW wich is as posted above 0w30 Audi VW H.P. Oil. over the Castrol 5w30 Oil they once had. i was never a big fan of Castrol anyway because there oil coloure was always darker than anyone elses pouring in the engine wich made it hard to keep an eye on just how fast it really got dirty in the engine. VS using clearer oil like what im using now and i actually picked up slightly better gas mileage half a liter more on fuel mileage using the newer oil. all in all very happy with Audi/VW High Performance 0w30 oil as there oem Oil of choice..

Grimmy

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Comfortline
****, I was getting the castrol from my dealer for Bout 9 bucks bottle, which I thought reasonable.

I wonder if the euro spec formula 1 Canadian Tire oil meets 507 standard.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
****, I was getting the castrol from my dealer for Bout 9 bucks bottle, which I thought reasonable.
I wonder if the euro spec formula 1 Canadian Tire oil meets 507 standard.
9 bucks is very reasonable, i Pay 10.95 a quart for oem VW h.p. oil wich is still reasonable than using priceyier mobile1 esp to meet my tdi's 507 spec for the engine. as far as using that formula 1 euro spec oil be carefull because i have noticed many house branded CT Oil's Dont meet your engines spec's & there still pricey to buy compared to using oem.

Grimmy

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Comfortline
Oh yeah, I was happy to pay 9 CAD per liter. I bought it 2 cases at a time, that's very fair for 15000 km oil changes.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Highline
Oh yeah, I was happy to pay 9 CAD per liter. I bought it 2 cases at a time, that's very fair for 15000 km oil changes.

there You go at least You no what your buying is of right spec & going to protect the engine unlike using house branded C.T. oil right.? wich hey i have nothing against ct they always been there for me and were help full when ever i came in there store for anything. just saying certain things belong in different places for different applications but there house oil is to say the least questionable as far as specs and protection goes .

Last edited:

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
One of those CTC Formula-1 Euro oils does meet the 507 spec. Read the specs carefully, and wait for the jug to go on sale at $29.99 or maybe less. Not on sale today. CTC# 028-8722-0

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
Castrol is only a group III synthetic is it not, so why pay their outrageous price?

So I'm having trouble understanding what you wrote:
Castrol is only a group III (If so, group III what?)
Castrol is only a group III synthetic (Then, "it is not" doesn't fit into the sentence).
I get the "so why pay their outrageous price".

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The whole group iii vs. group iv thing is so 90's. Nobody cares these days. Today's group iii+ oils outperform group iv in many respects.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Group III is hydro treated oil.
Castrol called their oil synthetic, but is not a true synthetic, is just a Frankenstein oil.
Mobil one took them to court, but in the end was ruled they could call it a synthetic oil, being a group III oil.
Some group III oils are good, but not near as good as true synthetic oils, group IV's.
Vw oil is now Mobil 1 oil, as the Castrol oil contract ran out ,so they no longer sold at vw.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Like I said, that argument is so 90's. Today's GTL and isomerized group iii+ synthetic oils are amazingly good. And Mobil never took Castrol to court. They simply filed a complaint with the better business bureau- which has no legal ramifications. The BBB decided Castrol was good to go. The urban mythology is pretty hilarious.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/533/base-oil-trends

Last edited: