2015 Passat TDI EA189? Coolant hose issues

jdes00

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE manual, 2015 Passat TDI SE manual
Has anyone else have any Coolant hose issues? I have coolant literally gushing out of a coolant line behind the valve cover, against the firewall. Dealership is saying that it's cracked. Left me stranded...I am wondering if maybe my heater core is clogged?

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Were you getting heat in the cabin evenly on both passenger and drivers side before the issue arose? If so, the core is probably not clogged.

It seems conceivable that a completely clogged core could burst or crack a hose due to excess pressure. If it was my car I would replace all the hoses between the radiator and the heater core (inlet and outlet).

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Your Passat is EA288. EA189 belongs to 2010-14 JSW, Jetta and Golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JazzBeBop

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE manual
Has anyone else have any Coolant hose issues? I have coolant literally gushing out of a coolant line behind the valve cover, against the firewall. Dealership is saying that it's cracked. Left me stranded...I am wondering if maybe my heater core is clogged?

I have the same leak on my 2015 Passat TDI EA288. I told the dealership when it was under warranty and they told me that they couldn't find a leak anywhere, but it was really easy to find. A TDI mechanic that does not work for a VW stealership, found it and told me that he had someone else had tried to get the work done under the dieselgate fix extended warranty, but to no avail.

jdes00

TDI
Were you getting heat in the cabin evenly on both passenger and drivers side before the issue arose? If so, the core is probably not clogged.

It seems conceivable that a completely clogged core could burst or crack a hose due to excess pressure. If it was my car I would replace all the hoses between the radiator and the heater core (inlet and outlet).
No heat at all actually.

jdes00

TDI
My particular issue is 2 fold:

• Never had an issues until I took it to the dealership for the Urea fix (car stopped registering urea in the tank). The next day, the host breaks leaving me stranded.
  • Then, I ultimtely pay the dealership to fix the issue then...36 hours after receiving it... ...it breaks again leaving me stranded this time WAY out of town.

So a hose functions just fine for thousands of miles (I put about 4 - 5k on it, 115k total), I bring it to the dealership for an unrelated issue and now I have a car that cannot hold it's coolant; keeps puking.

Last edited:

jdes00

TDI
How does this happen in a day and a half?:eek:

Last edited:

jdes00

TDI
I have the same leak on my 2015 Passat TDI EA288. I told the dealership when it was under warranty and they told me that they couldn't find a leak anywhere, but it was really easy to find. A TDI mechanic that does not work for a VW stealership, found it and told me that he had someone else had tried to get the work done under the dieselgate fix extended warranty, but to no avail.
Hey are you in the Houston area? I see you are in Texas? I could use a good TDI mechanic ASAP.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
How does this happen in a day and a half?:eek:
They put too much stress on the engine when working on it if they replaced your DPF, or hit it with an arm or tool while working on your car. Cheap part, but they should fix that.
My bet is on the over rotating of the engine (it pivots back to allow removal of the DPF) and something hits that piece or pulls on the hose too hard and it cracks.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
wow.... my Passat has NOT have that issue ever. been deleted since 40k miles and now 105k miles running like a reliable singer brand sewing machine.

Kevin 2015 TDI

TDI
2015 SE
wow.... my Passat has NOT have that issue ever. been deleted since 40k miles and now 105k miles running like a reliable singer brand sewing machine.
I had a 2012 TDI with no issues, I like the car so much I bought the 2015 with lower miles. I haven't had any issues at all until yesterday. They don't make the OEM part anymore it's discontinued. I need to check with Volkswagen dealership and see if there's an alternate or redesigned assembly. My temperature gauge was fine until it wasn't, when the park blew. There's no warning for indication of engine overheat so I wonder if it's a pressure issue.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI

part is 5K0122157K (can do google search for better prices)

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a 2012 TDI with no issues, I like the car so much I bought the 2015 with lower miles. I haven't had any issues at all until yesterday. They don't make the OEM part anymore it's discontinued. I need to check with Volkswagen dealership and see if there's an alternate or redesigned assembly. My temperature gauge was fine until it wasn't, when the park blew. There's no warning for indication of engine overheat so I wonder if it's a pressure issue.
2012 Passat or? they are entirely different animal of engine family. EA189 (found in 2012-14 Passats/ 2009-14 JSW, Golf, Jetta sedans) vs EA288 engine (2015+Golf, GSW, Passats and Jetta)

PLC Geek

TDI
2015 TDI SE 6MT
I had this exact part go bad on me today, got it replaced and it blew another hole in it 200 miles later on the interstate. Is there a more permanent fix?
When mine broke it wasn't long after they did the stage 2 fix. In my opinion it is a piss poor design that is susceptible to breaking easily from any side loads. I think they stressed it when they did the fix.
I had to replace my heater core not too long after replacing that fitting. I was very careful not to side load the hose while working back there. I'm at 175K miles now and have not had any other issues with that fitting.
Knock on wood.

Peytsdad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
The smaller nipple on this part broke for no good reason this weekend shooting coolant everywhere. 84k miles. The light and dinger went off but the needle didn't move for a couple miles after I was off I85 and pulling into a truck stop. No work has been done back there to stress it. $69 part shown above, $70 Uber to the dealership for the part, $50 for pliers, screwdriver, torx set (to remove the 4 inch plastic air pipe intake) and coolant. I drove 200mi home after repair without incident. Leith VW parts guy in Durham hooked me up at closing time on a Saturday far from home. I'll see if heat is coming out of both sides as suggested above. And probably get a coolant flush when I get my 2nd tranny service here soon. Thank you TDI Club!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Good idea. Glad you got that sorted out before serious damage occurs. :) I will keep a eye on mine. 111k miles so far and all good. She’s deleted as well.

Is yours stock or deleted?

Peytsdad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Good idea. Glad you got that sorted out before serious damage occurs. :) I will keep a eye on mine. 111k miles so far and all good. She’s deleted as well.

Is yours stock or deleted?
Stock, Except for some cool slotted and drilled rotors on the front at 70k miles and a lite trailer hitch for the bike rack.

wsc

TDI
99.5 Jetta, 06 Jetta (Totaled), 14 Passat.
Last edited:

bbaecht

TDI
2003 jetta, 2015 passat
Erosion from Diesel Gate Grit. Solids forming in the coolant from excessive EGR temperatures. Flush your systems. Be ready to change more plastic parts in your system. It is emissions related, and covered if warranty is still in place.
Hi,
Went on a 1100 mile trip in ours, and am now experiencing this issue. Original hose blew going, replacement hose blew ~ 200 miles later, and third hose went out after I hauled it back and we drove it around the area for a couple of weeks. Sounds like the first step is to flush the cooling system. FYI, I have ~ 103k miles on this car. We had to have one of the heater cores changed back in 2020 ( passenger side was cold ), and somehow we melted the connector for the DPF circuitry so it was unable to determine if the DPF needed purged. We also had the timing belt done at this time in I think it was April of 2022. So if this is indeed dieselgate stuff, does anyone remember the added time? If I recall correctly, VW warrantied either the heater core or the DPF connector. Without hitting the paperwork, don't recall.
Getting back to flushing, after that, what else can be done? Sounds like sooner or later the EGR will also be an issue? I know from Ford's fun with those, it's a problem. EGR is a fricking terrible idea no matter what make and model. Any legal options that won't run awry of the ever present EPA?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Hi,
Went on a 1100 mile trip in ours, and am now experiencing this issue. Original hose blew going, replacement hose blew ~ 200 miles later, and third hose went out after I hauled it back and we drove it around the area for a couple of weeks. Sounds like the first step is to flush the cooling system. FYI, I have ~ 103k miles on this car. We had to have one of the heater cores changed back in 2020 ( passenger side was cold ), and somehow we melted the connector for the DPF circuitry so it was unable to determine if the DPF needed purged. We also had the timing belt done at this time in I think it was April of 2022. So if this is indeed dieselgate stuff, does anyone remember the added time? If I recall correctly, VW warrantied either the heater core or the DPF connector. Without hitting the paperwork, don't recall.
Getting back to flushing, after that, what else can be done? Sounds like sooner or later the EGR will also be an issue? I know from Ford's fun with those, it's a problem. EGR is a fricking terrible idea no matter what make and model. Any legal options that won't run awry of the ever present EPA?
There are options but they won't pass the EPA.

wsc

TDI
99.5 Jetta, 06 Jetta (Totaled), 14 Passat.
Hi,

I think a bypass coolant filter like the big rigs use will help. I may rig one on mine, but haven’t yet.

GlennW1173

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE. (US model)
I was on a 5,000 mile cross country trip and experienced issues like the above.

Here's what happened with me:

Before trip July 2022 - Normal service (60K miles) - Water - pump replaced under TDI warranty because of occasional check engine light.

7/31/22 - Started cross country road trip.
8/15/22 - Overheated in Kansas - Towed to dealer. Dealer replaced the heater core hose - 5K0-122-157K $585.91
8/19/22 - Overheated in rural Nebraska - Purchased used 2005 Honda Accord. Shipped Passat to dealer in Denver. Upper coolant flange replaced - $634,51
9/6/22 - Picked up car in Denver - Same day - Overheaded 50 miles west of Denver was able to get it back to Denver w/o tow (oil temp got to 272 degrees/f). Secondary Coolant pump replaced - 2Q0-965-587-A - $1,008.61
I am flying to Denver to pick up the car from the dealer on 9/27/22 (Car was finished on 9/19/22 from third on trip repair. Dealer was very backed up).

I made a claim with VW-USA based on other comments here and elsewhere that the Secondary Coolant Pump might/should be covered under the TDI warranty. Dealer said the part was not on the "list" and would not submit for coverage. The claim was denied today by VW USA.

Has anyone here been able to get the secondary coolant pump covered under the TDI warranty?

Are other's getting coverage denied issues on parts that should be covered?

Any bets on whether I can make the 1,000 miles home w/o another incident (Denver to Orange County, CA)?

From what I understand the secondary coolant pump is critical to cool the engine after the TDI regen process is complete. The lack of proper cooling is what likely blew the cooling system components on 8/15 and 8/19. My understanding also is that the regen cooling system is now under more stress because of the TDI reprogramming.

Dealer says the heater core is fine.

BTW the dealer also told me that oil temp of 272 degrees/f is in the normal operating range of this car. I have never seen a temp higher than about 230 degrees/f. Oil temp is being read using the instrument cluster (same menu as the MPG stats).

BTW the car now has about 66K miles on it.

Thanks,

Glenn

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
GlennW1173, I've read through your post several times. I have a similar situation with my 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Only mine did not overheat, but the coolant temperature gauge in the instrument cluster went beyond it's normally stable 190 deg F yesterday. I did some diagnostics and reading, and I'm pretty certain my problem is with the switchable coolant pump in the main (large) high-temperature circuit. There is a lot on the intranet with this pump not retracting a shroud properly. An extended shroud covers the impeller to prevent coolant flow through the block & radiator (used to warm up the block quicker). The shroud retracts when a solenoid releases and a spring moves it to a retracted position. Seems like something goes wrong with the spring retraction over time, causing the pump to not circulate coolant. In my case, the coolant temperature gauge in the instrument cluster got up to an estimated 235 def F as I was pulling into my garage. I left the engine running and opened the hood and felt both the upper & lower radiator hoses - both were cold, but both radiator fans were running full speed. In looking through the 3 cooling circuits on a 2015 Passat EA288 engine, the switchable coolant pump is the only pump of the 3 used in these circuits that could cause an engine coolant block temperature to go above normal (along with a thermostat frozen in the shut position).

The secondary coolant pump you are having replaced (Part No. 2Q0-965-587-A ) is called a V488 Heater Support Pump in my EA288 Engine Management booklet. This pump is used in the circuit that supplies coolant to the heater core and to the EGR cooler. It is a pump that pulls hot coolant from the engine block through the EGR cooler and the heater, returning the somewhat cooler coolant back into the engine block. If it failed, it would not cause an engine to overheat (would not cause your instrument cluster coolant temperature gauge to go beyond a normal 190 deg F reading). At least this is what my findings are telling me. I would share with you the section of my EA288 Engine Management Booklet focused on the cooling systems on the EA288 with you, but it is a PDF file and apparently can't be attached to posts in this forum.

Also, per this part of your post: "From what I understand the secondary coolant pump is critical to cool the engine after the TDI regen process is complete. The lack of proper cooling is what likely blew the cooling system components on 8/15 and 8/19. My understanding also is that the regen cooling system is now under more stress because of the TDI reprogramming." This isn't quite correct. The secondary coolant pump is critical to cool the EGR during the TDI regen process, because the exhaust gas recirculation temperatures are elevated quite a bit during a regen process. On EA189 diesel engines, the EGR was under significantly more stress during the regen process and has cause many problems on those engines. The EA288 diesel engine, which you have, really did not change as this engine was much closer to actually achieving its emission limits before the dieselgate fixes were implemented. My regen cycles were unchanged after the emissions fixes, and exhaust gas temperatures reached during regen cycles were also unchanged. So in this respect, the EA288 engine is little if any affected by the emission fixes implemented.

I'm hoping your Denver VW dealer got it right though. If not, the switchable coolant pump replacement will be an expensive repair as this pump is driven by the timing belt, meaning a lot of stuff has to be removed and the engine supported (because an engine mount has to be removed) to access this coolant pump. Might as well do a full timing belt replacement with idlers and all then too. I would be very careful your first few miles and would be watching that temperature gauge. I guess you will know more tomorrow.

Last edited:

Peytsdad

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
See my post from Sept 6. It broke again in the same small joint between the 1/4in hose clamp and the bigger fitting on Oct 1. This was 3 days after the dealership performed a coolant flush and the 2nd DSG filter/fluid service. The service dept says it's fragile and something likely hit it. They're blaming the previous repair guy which was me at a truck stop in the dark. The orange check engine light came on this time. They're looking into the Service Bulletins to see if anything is covered. I love this car but this damages the trust.

GlennW1173

TDI
Thanks I did make it back from Denver - I am still having oil temp issues the car. I was able to limp the car the 1,000 miles back to my home dealer in Santa Ana, California by keeping the oil temp display active and managing my speed on the hill climbs to keep the oil temp below about 240 deg.

Of course the problem is difficult to diagnose here with our mild costal temps, but I put 100 miles on the car yesterday to give my dealer a fully warmed up car and they put a tech on it when I arrived w/o turning off the car. (On my 100 mile drive I got a max oil temp of 245 deg/F.

My Santa Ana dealer says they will try to do another push on the claim when they come up with a diagnosis.

Glenn

GlennW1173, I've read through your post several times. I have a similar situation with my 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium. Only mine did not overheat, but the coolant temperature gauge in the instrument cluster went beyond it's normally stable 190 deg F yesterday. I did some diagnostics and reading, and I'm pretty certain my problem is with the switchable coolant pump in the main (large) high-temperature circuit. There is a lot on the intranet with this pump not retracting a shroud properly. An extended shroud covers the impeller to prevent coolant flow through the block & radiator (used to warm up the block quicker). The shroud retracts when a solenoid releases and a spring moves it to a retracted position. Seems like something goes wrong with the spring retraction over time, causing the pump to not circulate coolant. In my case, the coolant temperature gauge in the instrument cluster got up to an estimated 235 def F as I was pulling into my garage. I left the engine running and opened the hood and felt both the upper & lower radiator hoses - both were cold, but both radiator fans were running full speed. In looking through the 3 cooling circuits on a 2015 Passat EA288 engine, the switchable coolant pump is the only pump of the 3 used in these circuits that could cause an engine coolant block temperature to go above normal (along with a thermostat frozen in the shut position).

The secondary coolant pump you are having replaced (Part No. 2Q0-965-587-A ) is called a V488 Heater Support Pump in my EA288 Engine Management booklet. This pump is used in the circuit that supplies coolant to the heater core and to the EGR cooler. It is a pump that pulls hot coolant from the engine block through the EGR cooler and the heater, returning the somewhat cooler coolant back into the engine block. If it failed, it would not cause an engine to overheat (would not cause your instrument cluster coolant temperature gauge to go beyond a normal 190 deg F reading). At least this is what my findings are telling me. I would share with you the section of my EA288 Engine Management Booklet focused on the cooling systems on the EA288 with you, but it is a PDF file and apparently can't be attached to posts in this forum.

Also, per this part of your post: "From what I understand the secondary coolant pump is critical to cool the engine after the TDI regen process is complete. The lack of proper cooling is what likely blew the cooling system components on 8/15 and 8/19. My understanding also is that the regen cooling system is now under more stress because of the TDI reprogramming." This isn't quite correct. The secondary coolant pump is critical to cool the EGR during the TDI regen process, because the exhaust gas recirculation temperatures are elevated quite a bit during a regen process. On EA189 diesel engines, the EGR was under significantly more stress during the regen process and has cause many problems on those engines. The EA288 diesel engine, which you have, really did not change as this engine was much closer to actually achieving its emission limits before the dieselgate fixes were implemented. My regen cycles were unchanged after the emissions fixes, and exhaust gas temperatures reached during regen cycles were also unchanged. So in this respect, the EA288 engine is little if any affected by the emission fixes implemented.

I'm hoping your Denver VW dealer got it right though. If not, the switchable coolant pump replacement will be an expensive repair as this pump is driven by the timing belt, meaning a lot of stuff has to be removed and the engine supported (because an engine mount has to be removed) to access this coolant pump. Might as well do a full timing belt replacement with idlers and all then too. I would be very careful your first few miles and would be watching that temperature gauge. I guess you will know more tomorrow.

GlennW1173

TDI
So another update from above:
Santa Ana, CA VW Dealer replaced the heater core under TDI warranty (Oct 5, 2022).

On Oct. 6, I made a claim to VW corporate to cover the three prior repairs that I think are all related. The VW Warranty specialist called me today and said they are going to contact VW Topeka and Emich VW in Denver and talk to them about the 3 other items that were not replaced under warranty. The warranty specialist indicated to me that VW would be unlikely to cover the other three items unless their was a direct co-relation with the other three repairs and the heater core and that the heater core had failed at the time of the other two repairs. (So I guess I would told to sort of stuff it).

I must say based on what I have learned about these 2015 TDI's, they are really poorly designed. It appears the coolant can't handle the EGR temps and crystalizes. The crystalized coolant can't make it through the heater core w/o clogging it.

The TDI warranty is basically worth nothing if the part isn't specifically quoted as being covered.

I've heard of some replacing the heater core with a Nissan core that this similarly sized but has larger holes inside. Does anyone have the P/N for this core?

Last edited: