Trying to add 2nd battery in the trunk 2015 passat tdi

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
What? No. They are 100% completely sealed. They dont need to breath much externally as they dont really heat up much at all. The entire reason for AGM is to NOT dump acid into a lake when your fishing boat tips over.
You’ve already been corrected. But just to state it again, yes, AGM batteries do in-fact require venting. Sure, they may be maintenance-free, but the hydrogen gas needs to go somewhere in case of overcharging.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
This sounds like a solution looking for a problem. What "problem" are you trying to solve by adding a battery and cables.
Did you read? OP wants to put a microwave in the car. Homer simpson style.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Exactly I posted so I can gather some info about a 2nd battery in a car, not to be flamed by it, if a thread I find the topic to be stupid I wouldn't post cause I'd be more stupid to reply.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If you use a little 500 watt unit all you'd really need is a decent inverter and some wiring. The alternator should be able to handle that easily for several minutes at a time. I know a woman who put a secondary battery on her toyota pickup. She lived on top of a mountain off grid and used the battery mostly for her TV.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Exactly I posted so I can gather some info about a 2nd battery in a car, not to be flamed by it, if a thread I find the topic to be stupid I wouldn't post cause I'd be more stupid to reply.
the thing is, this forum is full of people (like myself) who think most ideas are dumb because we either know better, have been down that road, or just can see issues that others can't or just simply can't understand the need or reasons. the only reason i assume you need a microwave in a car is to live in it. (hopefully that's not why) i don't wish that on anyone! I have been there!

it would be best in the future to go to places like candlepowerforums and battery forums or audio forums and just read. your not the first person to install a 2nd battery. Youtube is also great. gather all the info you can before asking a question that might be taken as silly or anything that can get a keyboard warrior going, like myself! i don't mean anything personal, its all just in fun, sorry if i come off a bit aggressive.

anya.kuhi9

TDI
Volkswagen Jetta 2.0L
I bought a lead battery from Costco about 8 months ago for my passat, i'm trying to add a 2nd AGM battery or anything that is sealed, for the trunk, would I be able to mix a sealed and lead battery to work in conjunction hopefully they wont get ruined, does anybody know what kind of cranking amp the costco battery got, so if I'd able to hook them up I could get same cranking amps on both, and any advice would be appriciated.
Lead acid batteries and AGM have different charging requirements. You should not mix the two, get two of the same and then wire them properly. But there is really no need for this at all.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Perko switch like we do with boats for cranking, house and trolling motor Batts. Check thehulltruth.com. alot of good battery talk there or just use a dangHonda 2000i or gas station lol.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

k0wtz

TDI
brian I am in your camp. I once ran 2 batteries I a car because I was running a huge ham radio amp. never a problem with the alternator in that car! lol