Why do You Still Have Your MK4 TDI?

99_TDI

TDI
1999 mk4 ALH & 2005.5 mk5 BRM
As said, cheap, super reliable, good power potential for not a whole lot of money, insane fuel economy. I’ll always own an ALH, even if I buy a gas car for short winter trips, I’ll always have the ALH for longer trips. The reliability and 55mpg highway can’t be beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDI_Buck

TDI
2006 MKIV Golf TDI
What about that distinct MKIV cabin smell eh? I’ve heard it likened to a crayon box but I’d take it over a new car smell any day.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
What about that distinct MKIV cabin smell eh? I’ve heard it likened to a crayon box but I’d take it over a new car smell any day.
Not all the cars have that issue. My wagon doesn't.

ratkc135

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat

Now that you mentioned it: mine does have that “crayon” like smell. Good way to describe it! Wonder what it is....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's the type of foam that was used in the seats.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
It's the type of foam that was used in the seats.
Interesting! That explains a lot. My wagon doesn’t smell like crayons but a lot of mk4 cars at the junkyard do smell like crayons. My 2005 has black non-velvet cloth seats and no seat heaters.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
We have a 2002 TDI wagon and a 2003 Jetta sedan. Only the '03 smells of crayons.
There are numerous posts here that detail how to get rid of the smell by removing
and replacing the carpet underlayment/insulation. It requires removing the seats, etc.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seems like it's just the sedans that have the smell, golf's were typically made in Brazil, and the wagons in Germany, all the ones I've worked on didn't have the smell.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
My 2000 doesn't have it, but my sister's 2002 wagon does, and a neighbor's 2002 Passat does as well.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
None of my MKIVs have the smell. My 99.5 Golf and Wagon are both from Germany, but my son's Golf is from Brazil. My other son's Jetta Sedan is from Mexico, but has leather, and doesn't smell.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
In answer to the question posed in the title of this thread:

Sunk
Cost
Fallacy

:D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
In answer to the question posed in the title of this thread:

Sunk
Cost
Fallacy

:D
We were just talking about this (in regards to a van conversion, not a TDI, but still). I have two MKIV cars that have way more money in them than any rational person would pay me for them, but I'm fine with that.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
We were just talking about this (in regards to a van conversion, not a TDI, but still). I have two MKIV cars that have way more money in them than any rational person would pay me for them, but I'm fine with that.
I always poke in Craigslist ads for TDI's. Do I need a 4th mode of transportation and 2 TDI's as a single guy...no. Would I pass up a good deal on one? Also a no.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
My commute is 80 miles round trip 8 times a month along with the other driving I do I put about 1200 miles/month on the car (we use my wife’s Acura for everything else). I just spent $175 with IDParts on parts for front brakes but that’s a cost that any car would have so PM costs don’t bother me at all. For what I paid in PM work and fuel last year it cost me pennies per mile to drive to work.

Also -Because it’s paid for and even with what I put into it for maintenance each year is still less then 12 months of a car payment. The most expensive year I’ve had with it only equaled 5 months of my Mkvi car payment. Is it a little rough around the edges and lacking the latest tech (which isn’t a bad thing in my book) - sure. But my self-worth isn’t dependent on what others think of the vehicle I’m driving. As soon as my wife’s car is paid off in Sept we will be debt free and saving to pay cash for our next car, a sizable down payment for a home, and will be putting enough aside so that we can both retire at 55. I will happily give up driving a new car for the freedom to take whatever opportunities life presents my wife and I because we’re not indebted to a lender.

As always YMMV and if you feel differently that’s cool too!

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
My commute is 80 miles round trip 8 times a month along with the other driving I do I put about 1200 miles/month on the car (we use my wife’s Acura for everything else). I just spent $175 with IDParts on parts for front brakes but that’s a cost that any car would have so PM costs don’t bother me at all. For what I paid in PM work and fuel last year it cost me pennies per mile to drive to work.

Also -Because it’s paid for and even with what I put into it for maintenance each year is still less then 12 months of a car payment. The most expensive year I’ve had with it only equaled 5 months of my Mkvi car payment. Is it a little rough around the edges and lacking the latest tech (which isn’t a bad thing in my book) - sure. But my self-worth isn’t dependent on what others think of the vehicle I’m driving. As soon as my wife’s car is paid off in Sept we will be debt free and saving to pay cash for our next car, a sizable down payment for a home, and will be putting enough aside so that we can both retire at 55. I will happily give up driving a new car for the freedom to take whatever opportunities life presents my wife and I because we’re not indebted to a lender.

As always YMMV and if you feel differently that’s cool too!
The commuting thing sucks. I have about the same round trip commute as yourself, except I have to do it daily. And it's not an easy 40 miles 1 way (which should take under 40 min). Usually takes me 1.5 hours to go that far.

I've been debt free for about 8 years now after I paid off the truck. Bought the Golf and all the other "toys" outright. All my friends are hammering down payments for their fancy cars and trucks that make them look like they have status. I could give 2 sh!tz. My truck is my workhorse and my car gets me around cheaply. Saves me money so I can put it towards the hobbies that I have.

I'm not sure at this point I'm going to live to see retirement (or past 60 for that matter) so I save what I think is necessary in case I do make it.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Just curious because there are a lot of 'better' cars out there in terms of technology and safety.

So what's your reason?
I previously had a 2010 JSW TDi. I had misgivings about the car, due to the complexity of the emissions system, and the fact that I never got more than 39 MPG on the highway. After I was involved in a crash on a very icy road, I replaced the JSW with my current 2002 Jetta wagon. - Couldn't be happier!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I previously had a 2010 JSW TDi. I had misgivings about the car, due to the complexity of the emissions system, and the fact that I never got more than 39 MPG on the highway. After I was involved in a crash on a very icy road, I replaced the JSW with my current 2002 Jetta wagon. - Couldn't be happier!

My 2010 got rear ended, I'm VERY glad I got a 2002 Golf.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I always poke in Craigslist ads for TDI's. Do I need a 4th mode of transportation and 2 TDI's as a single guy...no? Would I pass up a good deal on one? Also a no.
Also single, but with three TDIs. However, while my sister's family has several vehicles of their own they don't have a TDI, so I've let them take care of the Jetta wagon for me and see that it gets driven regularly.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm sure there are cars out there with better passive safety, but regarding technology, MKIVs are hard to beat. Simple, and pretty bulletproof. I prefer cars without an "infotainment" screen. While I don't tend to run into things, I believe the visibility out of the MKIV along with its maneuverability allow me to avoid accidents. I've always driven small cars and my dad taught me to always have an escape route.

I currently have 5 TDIs, three of them MKIVs. Definitely too many. But if I were to part with one it would probably be the MKVII, and that just doesn't make any sense to me, so I don't. The B4 might be next, but it doesn't have much value and it's a really nice drive. And as soon as I get rid of it I know someone will need a good car and I'll regret having sold it. So they sit around on battery tenders while I drive IBW.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It would [sadly] seem the trend towards fancier gingerbread nonsense on cars is not going away. And I find this somewhat disturbing myself, given the fact that by FAR the simpler cars are less troublesome in the long run. I also find it sad that the poor Nissan Frontier is continually lambasted by the automotive press for being "ancient" yet that is precisely its most redeeming quality, and remains just about the only Nissan product that not only holds on to some level of success despite the company's continual circling of the drain, but has also managed to dodge the specter of Renault's awful touch be it styling or abysmal cheapening and quality control. It has also of course remained CVT-free, which in Nissan land already makes it multiple levels better than anything else they sell.

Similar things are happening at an astounding pace in the tractor segment, as John Deere is finding that they are now competing with themselves: the newer stuff gathers dust while the older stuff demands premium prices at farm equipment auctions not seen ever before. You think Porsche 911s hold their value.... holy cow, 1970s through 1990s JD stuff is crazy. JD's decision to keep the engine managements systems proprietary and not allowing the owners to fix them in the field themselves has not been good, plus the fact that they even NEED fixing constantly doesn't help either.

Yep, sometimes older IS better.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think I go into tilt mode with cars that now have drive modes. Comfort, Sport, Sport Plus Race (even on SUVs), and "Individual" where you can customize ride, steering, accelerator response, etc. to your own preference. What happened to designing a car for a specific driver experience and making it as good as it can be for that applicaton? Are we suddenly smarter than automotive design engineers? I doubt it. I guess I'm a luddite, I don't even particularly like adjustable shocks. I tend to think I always want them set differently than where they are. Rant over.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I recall a story, urban myth possibly, about the reason why MB did not put tilt steering wheels in their cars, despite many other [luxury] car makers having them at the time. The answer was simply "we already figured out the perfect angle of the steering wheel". :p

But I always remembered that when I drove my big W126, as it DID seem to have the near perfect steering wheel position, no matter where the seat was adjusted. That car was really very near perfection for a large luxo-barge. It drove superb, and never ever felt like it was the heavy beast that it was.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My '93 300D does not have an adjustable steering wheel. It's not a problem. Feels fine. Doesn't have cup holders either. Germans believe if you want to drink something, stop and drink something. If you're driving, drive.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Why do I have my mk4 TDIs...

Well, for starters, they're stupidly easy to work on.
They're cheap.
The can still do the job of newer TDIs.

Now keep in mind, my signature is outdated. My current daily driver is a 2013 CPO JSW with a 02Q. But I also have a 2004 Golf with a BEW, and 2003 Jetta with an ALH that I'm in the process of rebuilding (and will eventually be a Ute conversion), and a 2005 BEW Wagon that is my mother's, plus 3 other TDIs and 2 diesel farm trucks.

Hwycruiser

TDI
I have two MKIV cars that have way more money in them than any rational person would pay me for them, but I'm fine with that.
The amount of money put into them does add up to the point where one wonders when to stop. But they do keep running and so far have been a good bargain for basic transportation thats hard to beat.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
This is a great thread! What has kept everyone from "upgrading" to the newer TDIs? They are pretty cheap right now, relative to what they used to go for. I've debated on getting one myself but I still like to cruise around in this one AND it's paid for! =)