DPF status through bluetooth to Windows 7 Laptop

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
Saw mention of a program and dongle to monitor the DPF by Lightflyer on a different thread. My daughters 2015 Sportwagen with the EA288 is a short driver. A couple of times the CEL and code for needing a regen has come on and I will take the car for a long freeway drive and clear the code. I would like to be a little more pro-active and the aforementioned software and dongle do interest me. Are they compatible with this vehicle? If not, what does everyone suggest? Thanks in advance.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Buy a cheap dongle off Ebay/Amazon. $11 maybe. Then download the app onto an android phone and link it. Try it out. Try all different engine combos if yours isn't there. Some may work. There is a free version of the app to try although the paid version is only $5 IIRC. Here are some on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/slp/obd2-bluetooth-adapter/taj7dcwrdd9h3dp

The real version is this one and what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBD...-Diagnostics/dp/B00H9S71LW?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_5

But the $11 one will tell you if it works or not. I tried three or so of those and they wouldn't keep working for long. I have had the Scan Tool version for over 3 or 4 years with no issues at all. The Passat and Beetle share the same engine type so there should be no problem there (CVCA).

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Once you have the dongle and app, what parameters do you monitor, and what style is the interface?
The two easiest and cheapest are VAG-DPF which is already set up and ready to go and Torque Pro which is cheap but you need to set it up. Basically you can monitor the regen status, you'll see the regen time get closer as calculated soot load builds and you'll be able to know exactly when it will start using either program. VAG-DPF will also let you see it progress whereas Torque Pro will only let you know it is happening, and when it is over, you won't get to see the numbers decline so you won't be able to know exactly when it will be over.

Both will monitor EGT's although VAG-DPF is in C and Torque Pro can be set up for C or F. VAG-DPF also shows calculated soot load, measured soot load, ash residue, post injections and a couple other tidbits.

Torque Pro can do lots of other stuff like ECT and boost to name a couple. I like to run Torque Pro mostly but I can quickly switch to VAG-DPF if I am in town and a regen is starting, this way I can know when it will be over so I can know how to plan my drive, maybe an extra trip around the block etc. On a longer trip it doesn't matter, I just stay with Torque Pro.

I like the OBDLink products and I use the MX because I also own Can bus vehicles. What's nice about the OBDLink products is they are fast, dependable and have good US support. They also have auto shut off so you can leave them plugged in all the time without running your battery down.

There are a few threads on this already, here and in the "OBD Scanners" forum where you can find all the PIDs and equations needed for Torque Pro.

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Thanks bigb for the good info and quick reply. I'd like to be able to monitor the DPF for the Mk7 on a phone. I already have an SGII, but it's in a MkIV, and using the VCDS cable means using the laptop, which obviously isn't so safe. Will the OBDeleven dongle or Carista dongle work with either Torque Pro or VAG-DPF apps?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Thanks bigb for the good info and quick reply. I'd like to be able to monitor the DPF for the Mk7 on a phone. I already have an SGII, but it's in a MkIV, and using the VCDS cable means using the laptop, which obviously isn't so safe. Will the OBDeleven dongle or Carista dongle work with either Torque Pro or VAG-DPF apps?
The OBDeleven will not, and I know nothing about Carista

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I know i'm not the only person wanting an app on iOS to get info on DPF and Exhaust temps. TorquePro has horrible reviews on iOS. VAG-DPF isn't iOS compatible. Any suggestions? TIA.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know i'm not the only person wanting an app on iOS to get info on DPF and Exhaust temps. TorquePro has horrible reviews on iOS. VAG-DPF isn't iOS compatible. Any suggestions? TIA.

I'm almost ready to buy an old Android phone for use as a device solely dedicated to DPF / monitoring apps. Silly.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I'm almost ready to buy an old Android phone for use as a device solely dedicated to DPF / monitoring apps. Silly.
If you can fins a Galaxy Note 3 it is the perfect size, the screen is large enough for multiple gauges that you can actually see and it fits perfectly in front of the open console door like it was made for it. I've had mine there for a year and no matter what it stays put. It also drops into the pocket for storage with room to close the door even with an iPod Classic in there. The newer Galaxy phones are smaller and slide around. I had to get a Renline magnetic mount for my S-8. I really prefer to keep a dedicated phone for engine monitoring anyway.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Having a dedicated phone is really nice. I have gauges already in the Beetle for most things anyway. Gauge pod in the dash center and integrated into the MFD. But VagDpf runs all the time for me and is easy to see when a regen is getting close or nearing completion. It hasn't been a hassle at all to manage to let them happen or complete. The car should have come with something like this. It is too bad the app developer or someone else couldn't pick up the ball to get all the US cars included into the list though. I use a ProClip mount for mine and it is powered when in the cradle with a newer high powered USB-C cord. It does duty as a regen gauge, Nav, streams music, phone and Torque is also loaded up just in case I need to scan for codes and/or clear them. I have a RNS-315 I haven't even installed yet due to not actually needing it due to this, although the larger screen would be nice, but maps would be way out of date at this point.

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks! I've looked quickly at the other screen shots of the app but must have been watching for a temp in degrees F, the celsius numbers made me pause for a second.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It might be selectable under options. I haven't checked yet. Some screens also only show ND or 0 if not being used (such as in regen mode). Each screen block can also be disabled for faster update time if you like. With the real MX OBDII dongle I see no need for that though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.applagapp.vagdpf&hl=en

Core functions:
- Display of 12 DPF filter parameters like: soot mass accumulation in the filter, regeneration duration, km traveled and time passed since last regeneration, EGR valve closing, exhaust gas temperatures of inlet and outlet of DPF (Attention: data shown may vary depending of the engine type due to the presence of the parameters into the engine ecu)
- Manual or automatic parameters update
- Display, for all the parameters, of the previous value and the difference between the actual and the previous value (only for automatic update delays different from 0 seconds)
- Ability to exclude one or more parameter to increase the reading speed
- Display of the filter filling percentage before reaching of the filling limit that starts the execution of a field regeneration (standard regeneration controlled by the engine ecu)
- Graphical display, using a progress bar, of the filling percentage value before starting a field or a service regeneration
- Graphical display of the filter status: red filter for the regeneration phase (passive, field or service) of grey filter with different back internal areas depending on the filling percentage value
- Display of extra data: adapter communication error counter, filter filling rating in µg/min, update time of all the 12 parameters, automatic update delay actually selected in options menu
- Notification bar icon to show an active connection and the auto-update process running

Last edited:

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Not quite related to DPF, but do any of the apps show the AdBlue injection rate? When I use the Touareg to tow, it goes through the stuff really quickly. Like a 2.5 gallon canister in about 2500 miles! I'd like to get an idea of how to slow that down, if possible.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Probably need a tuner for that. I haven't seen any app that does that. Torque may be able to be programmed or VCDS show the rate, but slowing it down will more than likely take a tuner. I would assume the more load and fuel burned the more def used. During dieselgate they often quoted the up to "40x" times greater but this was under heavy loads and such if I remember correctly. Have you checked for leaks? Some have reported a leak right at the injector in the engine compartment looking like a frosty snow ball. Don't know about the Treg though.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
only way to slow it down is not tow, or only tow down hill ;)

Any way you can lower EGTs will also help lower DEF consumption, maybe chose a gear lower?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I know towing makes a big difference and that higher power usage = higher combustion temps = more NOx being produced = more DEF injected to reduce NOx emissions. Towing at high elevations and in the mountains I'd usually let the tranny decide where to be, and did the slower uphills to maintain a decent speed. Speed limit on some sections of I-40 in NM was 75 and the semis were passing me often. Occasionally the tranny would drop to 5th gear and the engine would be running at 2500+ RPM. I'd let it do that for up to about 2 minutes. I could tell it was working hard. A boost gauge for those times would be helpful. I'll play around with it some more after getting the Android phone to leave in it and an ODBII transmitter. Thanks.