Question for Golf/Golf Sportwagen Sel Trim Owners

autoguru21

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen Tdi 92,000 Miles & 2015 Golf Sportwagen Sel Tdi 52,000 miles
How many fellow tdi members here have a Golf/Golf Sportwagen in Sel trim with the bi-xenon lighting package? I am curious to know if anyone has used vcds to change from nar region to ece coding, i have replacement warranty bi-xenon headlight assemblies.

Since the headlight assemblies were being replaced i had my vw dealer install new Osram Nightbreaker Laser D3S bulbs and i did extensive long coding changes to make
headlights have the nar region disabled and i recoded them to european ece lhd headlight specifications.

Between the new headlight assemblies and bulbs the lights seem to shine further ahead than they ever have since i bought the car two months ago, and now they seem throw a beam much wider than they used to with the original headlight assemblies and now the beam level sits higher than the headlights that were original to the car and throwing afs codes and having issues with the motors and leveling system as well as the trim rings fell off inside the headlight, i also disabled my cornering lights as i no longer need them as a feature because of the significant improvement.

I hardly even need to turn my foglights on anymore now, i'm interested in everyone else's opinion of my changes i have made, and how effective do your stock bi-xenon lights work at night because i have read quite a few complaints about the oem lighting package being a bit sub-par hence why i have done my modifications listed. I look forward to others opinions

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I don’t know if I understand the question but I have OEM bi xenon lighting and am happy with it. I turned off NAR restrictions but I think that is different than the coding you’ve done, I can’t tell the difference between the restrictions off vs on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Same as kdawg89 here, too. OEM Lighting Package (BiXenons), and I've been very pleased with them. I've modded so that the fogs are always on (replaced with LEDs, mind you), and am never disappointed with light output, even in heavy rain.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
I did the same, fogs to beamtech leds and changed the running lights to the fogs rather than the main HID bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW PANA/ NAV
I also have OEM Bi-Xenon on my car and while I like the lighting output the cutoff line is so blurry and annoying that is has no color. I really want to get another set of OEM housings so I can try and modify it to have a clear cutoff.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I also have OEM Bi-Xenon on my car and while I like the lighting output the cutoff line is so blurry and annoying that is has no color. I really want to get another set of OEM housings so I can try and modify it to have a clear cutoff.
Hella and I think Valeo have aftermarket versions of the OE Hella Bi-Xenons. Not sure of any design differences but price should be lower than OE versions.

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
I turned off NAR restrictions and them adjusted them with a screwdriver to where I wanted them. The were too low from the factory, they pointed down in to the road right in front of the car.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
Same as kdawg89 here, too. OEM Lighting Package (BiXenons), and I've been very pleased with them. I've modded so that the fogs are always on (replaced with LEDs, mind you), and am never disappointed with light output, even in heavy rain.
What's the color temperature of your fog lights?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Color temp is about 5000K - very "white" white. Which yes, I know, isn't what fogs are supposed to be, but if / when I do want yellow fogs at some point in the future, the LEDs came with tinted (yellow - 3000K) sleeves.

I've seen other LEDs, too, where they cycle through different colours (two sets of LEDs on the "bulb").
Turn on - white.
Turn off, then on again - yellow.
Turn off, then on again - white and yellow.
(Or something to that effect)

(Edit: like these.)

Last edited:

the_jeep_now

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI Premium
Sorry a bit off topic but what does turning NAR restriction off really do? And what's the coding for it?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

autoguru21

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen Tdi 92,000 Miles & 2015 Golf Sportwagen Sel Tdi 52,000 miles
What i've noticed from my own experience disabling the nar restriction and enabling ece coding has allowed my headlights to have more height above 30 mph, the headlights have more bend functionality in tight turns and corners, the light output is significantly better to where i rarely have to turn my fog lights on now, the coding is done through long coding via vcds

55-Xenon Range
Uncheck the box in coding that says North American Region Rules. This enabled me to have tourist mode capability (doesn't activate it) and takes off the restriction of 4 lights on at once.
The Xenon Range controller from NAR to RoW made an interesting change. The headlights will raise ever so slightly at faster speeds which, at least from what I remember, they do not in NAR format.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...KVII-today&p=87198755&viewfull=1#post87198755

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
What i've noticed from my own experience disabling the nar restriction and enabling ece coding has allowed my headlights to have more height above 30 mph, the headlights have more bend functionality in tight turns and corners, the light output is significantly better to where i rarely have to turn my fog lights on now, the coding is done through long coding via vcds

55-Xenon Range
Uncheck the box in coding that says North American Region Rules. This enabled me to have tourist mode capability (doesn't activate it) and takes off the restriction of 4 lights on at once.
The Xenon Range controller from NAR to RoW made an interesting change. The headlights will raise ever so slightly at faster speeds which, at least from what I remember, they do not in NAR format.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...KVII-today&p=87198755&viewfull=1#post87198755
im looking at buying a SEL Golf from coastal VW next week with the lighting package, if you have time and want to adjust the settings on my car i'd toss you a few bucks.

jverheul

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
Hella and I think Valeo have aftermarket versions of the OE Hella Bi-Xenons. Not sure of any design differences but price should be lower than OE versions.
I am about to pick up a GSW TDI SEL, sadly without B-Xenon. My old 06 A3 Audi had it and I am sure I will miss it. Any clue where to find these Hella or Valeo units?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've heard lots of very positive reports about the replica headlights that Ed sells at becautoparts.com

Good parts and good person to deal with - he's generally very quick to reply to any questions you might have.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I have a pair of golf R headlights and found that it was too complex to get them installed so I would be happy to sell them to someone who doesn't mind a complex project 200 for the pair.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
im looking at buying a SEL Golf from coastal VW next week with the lighting package, if you have time and want to adjust the settings on my car i'd toss you a few bucks.
Where in CT are you? I'm in the Manchester area and you're more than welcome to use my VCDS.