rear trunk light upgrade gsw

dillenger1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
looking for an upgrade to actually illuminate the hatch..I really wish there were lights on the bottom of the hatch so when raised you could see what your doing

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL

dillenger1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 gsw tdi
im almost at a point where I want to install halo lights in the hatch face.i do a lot of fishing and I'm doing pretty critical stuff with the hatch popped..I ordered the LED I hope it enough.my buddy has a new x5 and it has 2 ridiculous LED flood lights activate when the hatch is popped..droools

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
just source one off amazon and look for can bus error free to avoid ghosting, save yourself $20-30 over deautokey.

btw there is an option to change the housing out for another OEM unit that's "switched" so it wont shut off after 10-20 min.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
just source one off amazon and look for can bus error free to avoid ghosting, save yourself $20-30 over deautokey.

btw there is an option to change the housing out for another OEM unit that's "switched" so it wont shut off after 10-20 min.

Ghosting? What does that mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
im almost at a point where I want to install halo lights in the hatch face.i do a lot of fishing and I'm doing pretty critical stuff with the hatch popped..I ordered the LED I hope it enough.my buddy has a new x5 and it has 2 ridiculous LED flood lights activate when the hatch is popped..droools

I ordered some trunk LEDs from Amazon for $6 (for 4) expecting that I'd end up using them elsewhere. They are decent enough for the price, and a notable upgrade over stock, so they are working well as replacements. That being said, a single light mounted inside overhead does not illuminate the area as much as you might need. I've seen a Mk7 G/GSW hatch mod where the euro safety triangle is mounted: The owner tapped into the power through the hatch, and ran a led strip mounted to something that fit right into the safety triangle cubby. I'll see if I can find it.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
In this one the owner installed the VW rear license plate lights housings with LEDs in the the safety triangle cubby:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/adding-leds-to-cargo-area.327327/

This thread compares multiple options, but user darthfurious installed his own LEds in the cover for the warning triangle cubby. Super bright.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-trunk-light-leds-stock-oem-deautoled.342473/

And for bright light behind the car, CLDuckworth copied a design from the Golf Country Concept of an led running the length of the safety triangle cubby:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/boot-trunk-lid-led-light.345914/

For Golf Owners:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/best-trunk-light-location-ever.331946/
https://www.dropbox.com/s/46ckjh292dzdjoy/Under%20Cover%20Trunk%20LED%20Light%20Strip.pdf?dl=0

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ghosting? What does that mean?

if there's no bleeder resistor in the LED, the light will remain on yet very very dim when the hatch is closed and it should have been off.

I picked up a cheap silyvania bulb from advanced auto parts and took about 2 nights of driving before I ripped it out an tossed in a canbus error free bulb in.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow! I never had that problem with deautokey LED bulbs.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Wow, talk about overthinking, mine is a Passat but I thought the VW provided trunk light sucks big time.

Bought several 48LED boards on eBay for less than 1 dollar shipped to me. Stuck one, in my case, on the subwoofer and ran a wire to the OEM light. Problem solved!

I think too many of you overthink a very simple problem!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow! I never had that problem with deautokey LED bulbs.

I'd hope not for a $45 bulb!

With deauto it's all a luck of the draw as what container they get shipped and how soon they burn through their inventory. What was stocked 2 years ago won't be in stock today.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I have that bulb for 5 plus years. No issues.... :) only issues are city DRL bulbs and bumper side markers on sides.... little bulbs, annoying. Otherwise all are well.