BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
Hello, thank you. Is there a vehicle model years that I need to stay within
Depends which 01E you have. Take a photo of the cap on the opposite side of the selector arm, the one that has the electrical connector for the reverse switch.

Another fun quirk, the "early" and "late" style rods change mid-year :rolleyes:

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, 04 Passat Wagon
Depends which 01E you have. Take a photo of the cap on the opposite side of the selector arm, the one that has the electrical connector for the reverse switch.

Another fun quirk, the "early" and "late" style rods change mid-year :rolleyes:
The plan is to get a DQS gearbox, I’ve got a AVF motor with a manual crank from UK. The motor and petals are all I have gathered so far. The shifter assembly, starter and the spacer are next on my shopping list.

deaster

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI Variant - 80 Caddy Diesel - 04 WDI Passat Variant
@Braddman I sent you a PM.
I found a great solution to the issue of not having enough transmission input shaft engagement in the pilot bearing. I bought an HK1522 (21mm OD, 15mm ID, 22mm long) drawn cup needle bearing and a 21mm OD, 15mm ID, 3mm width oil seal to keep the grease in the bearing and the dirt out. I got the seal and bearing from a local bearing supplier for about $7 each. The original pilot bearing is 16mm long with a built in oil seal which reduces the amount of the rolling element length to about 15mm. I took a piece of mild steel drilled it 20mm deep with an 11/16” bit bored it to 14mm deep about 20.95mm diameter (basically just a press fit for the bearing.) Turned a 45 deg. chamfer 4mm from the end of the bar stock to support the bearing inside the chamfer in the crank. I turned the diameter of the material to 0.25mm smaller than the flywheel bore which is around 35mm +-5mm (I don’t remember the actual size). I parted the bar stock off at 17mm long. This gives me 11mm of bearing engagement in the crank and 11mm in the bearing and seal retainer I made. The total input shaft support is about 14.5mm. I installed the oil seal with the numbers facing the bearing to prevent dust getting in the bearing. I have not had a chance to run my car after installing the new clutch but I sure this bearing setup will work great.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I'm considering selling my 6 speed wagon complete and AWD parts as a package deal:

Body is rusty - but mechanically very good. Runs and drives except for a broken front spring.
BHW w/350K kms (stock BSM)
Malone Tuned ECU for 6 speed
01E 6 Speed (GVS)
Car has stock DMF 240mm installed currently
New in box: LUK DMF & Sachs SRE clutch kit
01E AWD trans (GLX / 3.89 R&P)
Matching rear diff from W8 Auto (3.89 R&P)

Send me a PM if you are serious. Only offering as a complete package.

Optional: 2003 Passat W8 Wagon - runs & drives, needs fenders/hood/windshield

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
My plan was to use all the bits listed above to build a nice BHW / AWD car with the 01E manual. However I am not so ambitious these days and plans have changed. I'll just keep driving my other W8 wagon till something expensive breaks....

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
My plan was to use all the bits listed above to build a nice BHW / AWD car with the 01E manual. However I am not so ambitious these days and plans have changed. I'll just keep driving my other W8 wagon till something expensive breaks....
It will never break. Because you want it to.. lol

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
they have w8 manuals. just rare
Have one of those 6 speeds, factor in the trim color package and it was the only one, not to mention it was original canadian destination to begin with it being km/h. They are rare but not a serious collector item. Was also contemplating the diesel swap, got the 4wd diesel 6speed for it too.

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
6 speed half shafts

Hello, happy new year everyone. Does anyone know the part number for the half shafts I would need for a 04 tdi Passat 6-speed conversation? The gearbox will be from Europe.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Depends on the flange size you go with.

108mm are different than the 120mm. I went with the 108 and will dig up the part #s

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I think I also have the smaller flange on my FHN manual transmission . The CV axles for mine were from a 1.8T manual Passat.

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm considering selling my 6 speed wagon complete and AWD parts as a package deal:

Body is rusty - but mechanically very good. Runs and drives except for a broken front spring.
BHW w/350K kms (stock BSM)
Malone Tuned ECU for 6 speed
01E 6 Speed (GVS)
Car has stock DMF 240mm installed currently
New in box: LUK DMF & Sachs SRE clutch kit
01E AWD trans (GLX / 3.89 R&P)
Matching rear diff from W8 Auto (3.89 R&P)

Send me a PM if you are serious. Only offering as a complete package.

Optional: 2003 Passat W8 Wagon - runs & drives, needs fenders/hood/windshield
Hello, would you happen to know the part numbers for the front axles or half shafts, if they’l work in a front wheel drive 6 speed?
Thanks

sword_guy

TDI
2004.5 2.0L Passat Wagon
I have some questions about your 6 Speed swap, if you don't mind. I asked Dutch Auto about a 6 speed and they said the DMF won't work unless I change my crankshaft. What does he mean? I also heard the SMF will cause the transmission to damage itself. Is there a mod so that the DMF can be used? If it's covered somewhere in the forum thread, I can't find it. Can the final drive gears be changed on those transmissions? Also, does the parts list in the post include everything you ended up needing for the swap? Wondering which axles you ended up using. Thanks a lot if you can answer this stuff!

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
The difference is the length of the crankshaft where the pilot bearing goes in. It's covered about 10 pages back. You can get away with the stock BHW crank. Just don't drive the bearing all the way in.

sword_guy

TDI
2004.5 2.0L Passat Wagon
Thank you. I wondered if that was it. Nice to know it's that simple. Do you have part numbers for the driveshafts? Or a vehicle they would have come from? Apologies if that was also covered. I tried my best to read through the whole post.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
The axles came from the same vehicle as the trans. Sorry don't have the part numbers handy. You can change the flanges on the trans and use the smaller diameter shafts that are more readily available here. I think someone on here has the part number for the flanges? I never looked into it myself.

sword_guy

TDI
2004.5 2.0L Passat Wagon
That's ok. Thanks for replying. That only leaves the last question. Are the final drive gears changeable on these? I want to get really tall gearing. Having a tough time finding reliable gear ratio data.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
No, no aftermarket gears available for the O1E. If you get a dqs or frf from a V6 tdi, it will have the tallest gearing available in a fwd 01E gearbox

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's ok. Thanks for replying. That only leaves the last question. Are the final drive gears changeable on these? I want to get really tall gearing. Having a tough time finding reliable gear ratio data.
Why do you want that?

sword_guy

TDI
2004.5 2.0L Passat Wagon
Land speed record attempt? Or maybe trying to push the BSFC out the bottom of the curve to burn more fuel?

Realistically, 2000 to 2500rpm range is ideal for best economy, lower the rpm, it gets worse. Raise it, it gets worse.

You caught me. Definitely land speed record. Seriously though, fuel economy is greatly dependent on load. At extremely low loading (level ground), it's more efficient to run at a lower RPM. I ran some tests. We have a dam nearby that's about half a mile long and level. My car will allow a shift at 41 mph (indicated), but it will not automatically shift until 45. I set cruise at 41 and observed instantaneous fuel economy. Forced the shift into 5th and economy went up by roughly 12mpg. There are times when a low RPM is better. Taller gearing with a 6 speed would allow the ability to adjust accordingly.

For the V6 transmissions you mentioned, I was under the impression that they would not bolt up to the 4cyl engine. Is that not the case?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
You caught me. Definitely land speed record. Seriously though, fuel economy is greatly dependent on load. At extremely low loading (level ground), it's more efficient to run at a lower RPM. I ran some tests. We have a dam nearby that's about half a mile long and level. My car will allow a shift at 41 mph (indicated), but it will not automatically shift until 45. I set cruise at 41 and observed instantaneous fuel economy. Forced the shift into 5th and economy went up by roughly 12mpg. There are times when a low RPM is better. Taller gearing with a 6 speed would allow the ability to adjust accordingly.

For the V6 transmissions you mentioned, I was under the impression that they would not bolt up to the 4cyl engine. Is that not the case?
The 6 cyl tdi transmission will indeed bolt up to the 4 cyl tdi engine. The bolt pattern is the same at the 4 cyl 01E transmission.

If you need any more convincing that it will fit, I can send you pictures of the FRF 6 cyl 6 speed that has been in my car for the last 200k miles.

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
6 speed gearbox mounting bracket

I’m still piecing together all the parts for my DQS 6 speed conversion project. I’m hoping that someone knows the part numbers for the left and right of gearbox mounts? Also, the part number for the pillows between those and car body? And Is there a part number for the piece of sheet metal that is between bell housing and motor? Not the 5.5 spacer.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just look for a B5 or B5.5 gas V6 manual transmission, driver side transmission mount bracket and you will get the correct part number. The passenger side transmission mount bracket is the same as the one you already have with the automatic transmission. As for the rubber transmission mounts/pillows, they are the same as the automatic transmission you already have.