What did you pay for your 'fixed' CPO TDi

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
Found one!
Dealership let me look through the back lot, but had no luck out of the ~30 JSWs they had. Only 8 had 6MT. Of those, 5 no pano roof.

3 were NY/Michigan northern cars. Other 2 were NC and Iowa. Tiny bit of rust on control arms but not bad. Iowa car was cleanest, but still not a fan of salt belt cars. $10,400 for 2013 64k miles. out the door was $12,800

So we go look at their internal inventory system. 2013 coming in next week from California with 28k miles. VIN decoder says no pano and 6MT. White on black interior. $13,800.

Soon as it rolls off the truck, I'm heading down to look it over and give the nod of approval or point out a few things we want fixed up. Didn't even negotiate. Said full asking price is good as long as it's immaculate. Exactly what I wanted and price just about right. After TTT, it comes out to just over 16k. Carvana and some local dealers are $17-18K out the door for similar.

Last edited:

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
Okay, I tried plugging my VIN into that search site once again, but no luck. So who ended up with with a lo mile 2011 Golf with the VIN WVWMM7AJ1BW327268? I need my curiosity satisfied. :)

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
Central North Carolina.
I bought a 2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/Navigation, 58,000 miles, CPO warranty, for $12,000.
I thinks I could have gotten a better deal on a Passat but, whatever, I'm happy. Perhaps just a little buyer's remorse. That sweet 2 year, unlimited warranty makes me quite happy, however.
Paul

srlbotanical

TDI
2011 JSW TDI Platinum Gray/Black Manual, Stage 2, Deleted
Can you elaborate regarding how the market has changed? I am looking to find the same 6MT with NO PANO in my area and wondering how you did on your search. Been looking for about 3 weeks now and only about 1-2 newly listed cars show up per week in a 200-mile radius. Searching autotempest and autotrader near daily.

Heading to a dealership tomorrow or this weekend to check out a few interesting ones. How did you convince them to turn you loose in the holding lot?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Regarding the market change: I've noticed a lot more people have caught on to the market for these vehicles. cars with the right combination of options, when found, are being snatched up by buyers often sight unseen.

It made it harder for tire kickers like me to spend some time and really negotiate what I wanted with the dealer.

When I found what I wanted, I needed to mover quickly and be ready with a cash offer if I wanted any room to negotiate at all.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Anyone have any idea where the dealers are picking these up from? I tried to search some of the local auctions but couldn’t figure anything out.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW hosts its own auction site that was available only to VW dealers. But now I suspect that VW is feeding some cars that dealers don't want into local auctions. I know they appear at auctions: we have a customer who buys and sells cars and he's bought a couple at independent auctions.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I purchased my TDI from a Mitsubishi/Subaru dealership in Virginia, who had purchased it from an auctioneer in Indianapolis. I might have more information if I dig through my paperwork.

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2015 Passat SEL $16000

I just bought this on Friday with 26000 miles from an indy dealer who said he picked it up at auction. Clean carfax no dings dents has all the books and tools so far don't see anything wrong.
Looking at the carfax it wasn't sold until December of 2017. To me that kind of seems like it was fixed before it was sold. Would that make sense to more VW knowledgeable people? I'm taking it to the VW dealer on Monday to get another key made / programmed. I'd like to talk to them about remaining warranty and if it qualifies for the extended, but the way they act on the phone makes me wonder how helpful they'll be.
Anyone here have an idea what applies?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That was probably a car that was at a dealer when the stop sale happened, and it wasn't fixed and sold as new until the end of '17. Makes sense. If that's the case it should have a 162K emissions warranty starting at the original in-service date in late '17, or until 2028.

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks Indigo. That's what I was hoping for before I looked closely at the carfax.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
Wait. What?
How long is my emissions warranty actually for? I read and re-read the legalese in the CPO literature but don't understand the "...greater than..." legal clause.

Is it "10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the vehicle's original in-service date; OR 4 years or 48,000, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the emissions modification."
I just bought a CPO TDI Jetta with 58,000 miles. How long is my dealership warranty good for?
I drive about 30,000 miles a year.
Paul

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
Wait. What?
How long is my emissions warranty actually for? I read and re-read the legalese in the CPO literature but don't understand the "...greater than..." legal clause.

Is it "10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the vehicle's original in-service date; OR 4 years or 48,000, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the emissions modification."
I just bought a CPO TDI Jetta with 58,000 miles. How long is my dealership warranty good for?
Paul
It depends on the model year of your car. 2015s have 10 years/162k miles. 2014 and earlier have the lesser one. I believe the date of in service is the date it was sold or put on service after the fix.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
The CPO is 2 years, unlimited miles from date of purchase from certified VW dealer on all TDI cars.

srlbotanical

TDI
2011 JSW TDI Platinum Gray/Black Manual, Stage 2, Deleted
Wait. What?

Paul
Your CPO warranty is different from the Dieselgate warranty.

CPO covers you bumper to bumper for 2 years.

The recall (dieselgate) warranty is for 10 years/120K (lesser of the two) from the date of manufacture OR 4 years/48K (lesser of the two) from the fix/modification. Of these two options, 10/120 and 4/48, you are covered for which ever is greater. This coverage is for the engine, drive-train and emissions related items.

For example: Lets assume you bought a 2013 CPO with 58,000. The 10/120 warranty is the greater of the two in your case. So you would be covered until 2023 or 120,000 miles (whichever comes first). In addition, You are also covered bumper to bumper for 2 years with the CPO warranty.

I bought a 2011 in October (no CPO) with 86,000. I would be covered by the 4/48 warranty until 2023 or 126,000 miles, whichever I reach first.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
I just bought this on Friday with 26000 miles from an indy dealer who said he picked it up at auction. Clean carfax no dings dents has all the books and tools so far don't see anything wrong.
Looking at the carfax it wasn't sold until December of 2017. To me that kind of seems like it was fixed before it was sold. Would that make sense to more VW knowledgeable people? I'm taking it to the VW dealer on Monday to get another key made / programmed. I'd like to talk to them about remaining warranty and if it qualifies for the extended, but the way they act on the phone makes me wonder how helpful they'll be.
Anyone here have an idea what applies?

I get freaked out by '15s that were sold new after the fix and then sold at auction after short use.

Makes me wonder why someone would be so lucky as to grab one of these things before they all sold out, and then turn around and get rid of it? Especially in only 18 months. They have exceptional warranties and lesser HPFP/DPF issues than earlier models. Makes no sense someone would get out of it unless it was salvage car that somehow slipped through.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I get freaked out by '15s that were sold new after the fix and then sold at auction after short use.
Makes me wonder why someone would be so lucky as to grab one of these things before they all sold out, and then turn around and get rid of it? Especially in only 18 months. They have exceptional warranties and lesser HPFP/DPF issues than earlier models. Makes no sense someone would get out of it unless it was salvage car that somehow slipped through.
There are a lot of people who buy cars they never should have and sell in short time due to financial reasons.

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
There are a lot of people who buy cars they never should have and sell in short time due to financial reasons.
Or people who buy a new car every 12-18 months because they can afford it. Some companies also replace fleet/company cars on a similar time scale but that's not as common.

JeffOC

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I believe it was a lease return. That's the best I can make of the Carfax anyway. Checked and double checked for salvage and don't see anything. No yellow inkpen for junk yard parts. The skid plate is missing though, that bothers me.

vwexpress

TDI
2015 Golf Sport Wagon
Well, I bought a '15 GSW TDI from a Toyota dealership.
25K miles, great shape, $13,000, 24,000 bumper to bumper and 250K mile drivetrain warranty. No idea about it being CPO, Toyota dealership is useless for VW info, as expected.

flipper88

TDI
2012 Golf
I just picked up a 2012 Golf tdi 4 door with tech package, heated seats, navigation, sun roof, 6 speed manual car for $10,000. The best part is that it only has 15k miles.

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
Well, I bought a '15 GSW TDI from a Toyota dealership.
25K miles, great shape, $13,000, 24,000 bumper to bumper and 250K mile drivetrain warranty. No idea about it being CPO, Toyota dealership is useless for VW info, as expected.
It wouldn't be VW CPO if you bought it from a Toyota dealership. Sounds like they gave you a nice warranty tho. And you got a hell of a good price.

CakeNFace

TDI
2012 Jetta Premium TDI
I picked up my 2012 Jetta TDI manual, premium edition, with 49K miles about 6 months ago for $9700. I'm very happy with it, thought it was a fair price. I'm now at almost 60K and realized it has probably never had a fuel filter change, so waiting for the weather to warm up!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I picked up my 2012 Jetta TDI manual, premium edition, with 49K miles about 6 months ago for $9700. I'm very happy with it, thought it was a fair price. I'm now at almost 60K and realized it has probably never had a fuel filter change, so waiting for the weather to warm up!
Might want to change the air and cabin filters, too. I assume the oil's been changed! :eek:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Not a CPO, but we picked up a '15 Golf SE with 38,700 miles here in Baltimore at an independent used car lot for $14,700 + tax and tags.

JD_2012GolfTDI

TDI
2012 Golf Kerma tuned
I just picked up a 2012 Golf tdi 4 door with tech package, heated seats, navigation, sun roof, 6 speed manual car for $10,000. The best part is that it only has 15k miles.
Great deal! I got a similar one: but DSG and 50K for $9700 earlier this year.