BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
No need for G85 calibration

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Nice, good work!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Nice, good work!
thanks! but i feel like a dope for not running this down sooner... i need to pay more attention to the label file next time
Good to know. I have done over 30 conversions and had not seen that error before.

FWIW there is a different procedure if you have a Bosch 5.3 ABS
this is my FIRST B5.5 swap and i feel like every pitfall that existed i fell into... is the 5.3 procedure wildly divergent from the 5.7?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
The 5.7 ABS you have to log in like you did and change the ABS code

The 5.3 ABS is just a straight soft code change with no log in required. However there is no corresponding soft coding for a FWD 5 speed. You have to code it as a 6 speed and IIRC AWD. Really don't know why it calls out a 6 speed specifically

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
Is this a 4motion or FWD?

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI, 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW TDI Swap
Custom pilot bearing

I found a great solution to the issue of not having enough transmission input shaft engagement in the pilot bearing. I bought an HK1522 (21mm OD, 15mm ID, 22mm long) drawn cup needle bearing and a 21mm OD, 15mm ID, 3mm width oil seal to keep the grease in the bearing and the dirt out. I got the seal and bearing from a local bearing supplier for about $7 each. The original pilot bearing is 16mm long with a built in oil seal which reduces the amount of the rolling element length to about 15mm. I took a piece of mild steel drilled it 20mm deep with an 11/16” bit bored it to 14mm deep about 20.95mm diameter (basically just a press fit for the bearing.) Turned a 45 deg. chamfer 4mm from the end of the bar stock to support the bearing inside the chamfer in the crank. I turned the diameter of the material to 0.25mm smaller than the flywheel bore which is around 35mm +-5mm (I don’t remember the actual size). I parted the bar stock off at 17mm long. This gives me 11mm of bearing engagement in the crank and 11mm in the bearing and seal retainer I made. The total input shaft support is about 14.5mm. I installed the oil seal with the numbers facing the bearing to prevent dust getting in the bearing.
Edit 10/18/2020: I currently have 56000km on the pilot bearing with no issues.

Last edited:

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
Is this necessary at all?

Depends, I guess. If you want to run a 240mm clutch and dual mass flywheel, then you need a 5mm spacer between the engine and transmission, which can reduce engagement in the pilot bearing to less than 3mm (not nearly enough). This solution would resolve that issue. In my case, I'm running a 228mm clutch and dual mass flywheel, so I don't need a spacer. That means my pilot bearing gets plenty of engagement. I recently inspected it after 2.5 years and 35k hard miles, and it's in perfect shape.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I drove mine for almost 5 years without issue. I still haven't taken the car apart yet, but it drove to its current rusting place.

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, 04 Passat Wagon
6 speed shifter assembly

Hi, does anyone have the part number for the 6 speed shifter assembly for the Passat auto to manual conversion

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Still driving mine - spacer and what I calculate to be 3.5mm of input shaft engagement into the pilot bearing.

Swapped out the "spare" 01E for the main one (have two) about 4 months ago. No adverse wear on the input shaft. I would consider it a non-issue. The transmission seems to deal with the short engagement with no ill effects.

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
First - thanks to all who have written info on this in previous threads.
Second - I am half way though my swap and have discovered a few things not previously mentioned.
Let's start with the REAL parts list: (Work in progress will update as I complete my swap.)
6 Speed transmission
Passenger side heat shield above axle
240mm flywheel/clutch (get new bolts if reusing used parts)
Pilot bearing 056105313C
6 speed shifter & rods, boot and knob.
Starter
Axles. (larger inner CV than 5 speed units)
5.5mm spacer plate between bellhousing and transmission 01E 103 551B if using stock 240mm DMF. 228mm can do without.
*** 16x18.8 dowel pins x 2. 01E 301 153E. No one has mentioned this before!
Clutch switches and pigtails.
Clutch pedal with longer mounting pin
Brake pedal and rubber - OR cut and modify your original one.
Clutch master cyl, slave cyl and line. Apparently one from a NA 1.8T will work fine
Longer upper starter bolt
Longer bolt + nut for passenger side lower through block
Also used a bolt + nut to relocate the starter wire support on the passenger side. There is an extra through hole up there not used.
Fresh gear oil (recommended)
New outer CV boots (recommended)
In the beginning.........We had a funny looking brake pedal, and something was missing.

In this image you can see where the master bolts in above the steering shaft. There are two grommets you will pull out. Push them through to the engine side. Bolt up the master without the pedal attached. It sticks through the firewall far enough to clip in the line after. Then put the pedal in. It's a tight squeeze, but just fits between the fuse panel and the steering shaft. Just rotate it around, it goes.
Here's how I dealt with the brake pedal, as I didn't get a donor one:

The all important 3 pedal shot:

I chose the perfect timing to do my swap. There was a vibration in the front right, which I had assumed was from a torn CV boot eating up the outer joint. WRONG:

Here you will notice 2 bolts missing. The other 4 also were well on their way out. Car was dealer service prior to my purchase.....:rolleyes:
More updates to come....
I’m looking over the shopping list and I could use the part numbers for the starter and the 6 speed shifter & rods, please

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI, 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW TDI Swap
The starter part number is 068911024H from a 6 speed tdi Passat in Europe.
What is the code for the transmission you are going to use. That will determine what you need for shifter and linkages.

Last edited:

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello, it’s the 6 speed DQS, going into a 04 Passat wagon, FWD, DMF clutch

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Depends, I guess. If you want to run a 240mm clutch and dual mass flywheel, then you need a 5mm spacer between the engine and transmission, which can reduce engagement in the pilot bearing to less than 3mm (not nearly enough). This solution would resolve that issue. In my case, I'm running a 228mm clutch and dual mass flywheel, so I don't need a spacer. That means my pilot bearing gets plenty of engagement. I recently inspected it after 2.5 years and 35k hard miles, and it's in perfect shape.
GoremanX, I looked through your past posts but couldn't find direct info on this since it looks like you tried a handful of different clutch setups before finding one that worked well.

Which 228mm DMF and clutch are you running now? Happy with it?

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
I was looking for a 6 speed shifter assembly for my conversion and I spotted a one but it’s saying it’s for 2002 b5 Passat, does anyone know if it’s compatible with a 2004 b5.5 Passat?

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
GoremanX, I looked through your past posts but couldn't find direct info on this since it looks like you tried a handful of different clutch setups before finding one that worked well.

Which 228mm DMF and clutch are you running now? Happy with it?
oops, missed this until now.

I run a South Bend Stage 3 clutch/pressure plate and OEM DMF meant for a B5 A4 1.8T 5-speed. It's silky smooth, has excellent engagement, and is rated for 425 ft-lb of torque. I personally consider it the perfect setup. Daily driven in lots of traffic, both sedately and hard. Not sure if I'd use it for drag racing, but it's well suited to autocross. No perceivable wear after 35k miles.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I was looking for a 6 speed shifter assembly for my conversion and I spotted a one but it’s saying it’s for 2002 b5 Passat, does anyone know if it’s compatible with a 2004 b5.5 Passat?

If it's in North America, it's not likely the correct one, as there were no 6spd passats in NA in 2002.

2002ish to 2006 audi A4's 6spd also came with the 01E in addition to the Passat W8's (04 and 05 I beleive) and would also have the same shifter linkage. Should not be too hard to locate what you need in a boneyard that deals with audis

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 S4 is the only 6 speed shifter in NA that will work.
In that case, good luck. Those are getting increasingly difficult to find used. The shifter, base and plastic housing are relatively easy to find since they were essentially the same on the B5 A4/S4 and C5 A6/S6/allroad. The rods however differ by model, and even by year within a model. You're specifically looking for the 6-speed setup from a B5 S4 or C5 A6/allroad that had the 2.7 biturbo V6. The shift selector rod and the cross rod can vary depending on whether your transmission uses the "early" or "late" style mounting for the cross rod. Check the JH Motorsports site for info on the B5 S4 shifter, they have pictures showing the differences. There's also a rare, undocumented 3rd setup with the cross-rod attached to the top middle of the transmission. My own 01E came from a later model C5 A6 (euro TDI model), but has both the "early" and "late" style mounting holes, and I was able to find an S4 "early" style shift selector rod assembly on eBay that works fine. I also upgraded to the JHM HD cross-rod, solid short throw shifter, solid selector bushing, stiffer centering spring, and weighted selector arm. Only reason I remember all this is because I just rebuilt that transmission from scratch a couple weeks ago :D

edit: shift selector rod is part number 8D0711151 (optionally followed by letter A, B, C, D or H depending on the style) and includes the cross rod
shift locator rod is part number 8E0711271 (followed by letter A, B C or D depending on style)

Last edited:

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
In that case, good luck. Those are getting increasingly difficult to find used. The shifter, base and plastic housing are relatively easy to find since they were essentially the same on the B5 A4/S4 and C5 A6/S6/allroad. The rods however differ by model, and even by year within a model. You're specifically looking for the 6-speed setup from a B5 S4 or C5 A6/allroad that had the 2.7 biturbo V6. The shift selector rod and the cross rod can vary depending on whether your transmission uses the "early" or "late" style mounting for the cross rod. Check the JH Motorsports site for info on the B5 S4 shifter, they have pictures showing the differences. There's also a rare, undocumented 3rd setup with the cross-rod attached to the top
middle of the transmission. My own 01E came from a later model C5 A6 (euro TDI model), but has both the "early" and "late" style mounting holes, and I was able to find an S4 "early" style shift selector rod assembly on eBay that works fine. I also upgraded to the JHM HD cross-rod, solid short throw shifter, solid selector bushing, stiffer centering spring, and weighted selector arm. Only reason I remember all this is because I just rebuilt that transmission from scratch a couple weeks ago :D

edit: shift selector rod is part number 8D0711151 (optionally followed by letter A, B, C, D or H depending on the style) and includes the cross rod
shift locator rod is part number 8E0711271 (followed by letter A, B C or D depending on style)
Hello, thank you. Is there a vehicle model years that I need to stay within