MN Chat Thread

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Headliner options

Yes. I have a quote for $250 so far if I bring it in to be recovered. I would hate to go through all that work only to have it sag in a few years. BTW...it appears you need to watch for the sun visor ribbon cable when removing it. Some people damaged this cable it appears.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Headliner options.

Kriesel - I would be happy to help as this would be a good test drive on doing it myself. For now, the tacks are holding it up. Contact me if you are interested. I also have a set of tools for the interior. Torx as well.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
sighting

Royal purple mk4 jetta in Cambridge MN turned south onto HWY65. Don't know if it was a diesel because i only saw the front end, but it looked great! wish i could of had a better look at it...

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Any interest in a fall GTG in Duluth? The paved part of my yard can park about 10 cars easily. I have a deep two car garage and a huge back yard. Oh yeah I have a Traeger too.
My wife and I are already planning a day trip up there so we could swing by in the X5D if the stars align.

Side note: if anyone needs new rear axle bushings for their MKIV, I have a set of the solid SEAT Cupra R bushings for sale for $40. They've followed me through 4 moves and I've never managed to get around to installing them. The TDI only sees occasional duty now, so I will probably never get around to it.

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Any interest in a fall GTG in Duluth? The paved part of my yard can park about 10 cars easily. I have a deep two car garage and a huge back yard. Oh yeah I have a Traeger too.
will be up in a week to drop our daughter at UMD... but I doubt the rest of the family are going to get all that excited about a GTG! Just ordered a heater from Terry... wonder if that will arrive before then - might be a fun and super useful install?:)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
i have a 11 jsw tdi solid roof. tan? its silver/ golden metallic. live on the iron range but drive past the cities regularly. tinted rear windows. will be blacking the rear out and tinting the front sides soon.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
will be up in a week to drop our daughter at UMD... but I doubt the rest of the family are going to get all that excited about a GTG! Just ordered a heater from Terry... wonder if that will arrive before then - might be a fun and super useful install?:)
You could stop by if you want. A frost heater is easier with 4 hands.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoTDI View Post
will be up in a week to drop our daughter at UMD... but I doubt the rest of the family are going to get all that excited about a GTG! Just ordered a heater from Terry... wonder if that will arrive before then - might be a fun and super useful install?

You could stop by if you want. A frost heater is easier with 4 hands.
yes! defiantly easier with more hands. I just put one in my car and besides the fact i didn't completely know how to mount it it took 4hrs. to complete. i'm finally ready for that Snowpocalypse!

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoTDI View Post
will be up in a week to drop our daughter at UMD... but I doubt the rest of the family are going to get all that excited about a GTG! Just ordered a heater from Terry... wonder if that will arrive before then - might be a fun and super useful install?

yes! defiantly easier with more hands. I just put one in my car and besides the fact i didn't completely know how to mount it it took 4hrs. to complete. i'm finally ready for that Snowpocalypse!
good to know - that last trip would have been a bust even if we had made arrangements - my cousin dropped dead that week from an aortic dissection - pro tip of the week... don't have one of those.

I don't know what the UMD parent's schedule is for sure -- but October 13 rings a bell. The org I work for is hosting the National Farm Viability Conference in Red Wing starting on the 21st - so there is NO WAY we can leave town the weekend before that. I'll check with my navigator to see if there is a duluth trip planned for October and maybe we can roll by your place!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Picked up four Bridgestone Blizzaks today, 195/65R15, 91H, for $291including tax (saved $40 by picking them up myself at TireRack's Roseville distribution center).

And there's an $80 mail-in rebate, so my final cost will be $211. Also comes with two years of free Road Hazard Protection.

Limited supplies, so I presume limited sizes too.

ottoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon ALH
Picked up four Bridgestone Blizzaks today, 195/65R15, 91H, for $291including tax (saved $40 by picking them up myself at TireRack's Roseville distribution center).

And there's an $80 mail-in rebate, so my final cost will be $211. Also comes with two years of free Road Hazard Protection.

Limited supplies, so I presume limited sizes too.
This is an awesome deal, thank you! I'm picking mine up this weekend.

ottoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon ALH
I will be replacing the clutch in my MKIV Jetta in a few weeks. Just about to 250k miles and the throwout bearing is starting to rattle more than I'm comfortable with. I have all the parts and bolts needed but don't yet have a flywheel holder or triple square bits. I'm wondering if anyone near Bloomington, MN, has these and would be willing to borrow them to me for a weekend?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
a standard box wrench works for holding the flywheel, put a transmission bolt into the block thru the box end and put the open end up against a dowel pin.

Don't bother with the local auto parts tripple squares, you'll probably round them off.

02tdivw

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Tdi
I will be replacing the clutch in my MKIV Jetta in a few weeks. Just about to 250k miles and the throwout bearing is starting to rattle more than I'm comfortable with. I have all the parts and bolts needed but don't yet have a flywheel holder or triple square bits. I'm wondering if anyone near Bloomington, MN, has these and would be willing to borrow them to me for a weekend?

pm sent

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
soo... I unfortinately killed my jsw. Hit a deer with the headlight while doing 70. Total loss. Thankfully i got gap insurance. Also i think something was weird with the ecu. sparratic Comminucation errors with so many things. INS wants 1500 for it. be a really good parts car. Took the radiator out so it cant be driven. it only took out bolt ons. still straight structure wise. So now i will have a red mk6 jsw with a pano roof.

Last edited:

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, 2011 BMW 335d Stage 2
So I’ve disappeared for quite a long time now, but I’m finally building up my ‘02 Jetta again after throwing a rod. The engine work just got finished, timing belt on order, tools are on the way, just need to pull out the last bit of money to pay for it all. Anything I should be looking at doing? I believe I’ve listed off everything I’ve done.

Mod list:
11mm fuel pump
DLC1019 (stage 3 flow) -May be replaced in the future
PD150 intake
Colt Cam Stage 3
GTD1752 vacuum converted
3bar MAP
BHW Pistons (so I’ll finally get to have that 2L goodness)
Rosten Rods
Peloquin LSD
SBC Stage 3 Endurance w/ 21lb flywheel
Malone Stage 4 Tune
BHW oil sprocket mod

Other Mods:
3DMFD Cluster (I absolutely love this thing)
Oil temp, quality, and level gauge in pan
Outside temp sensor
AEM Boost gauge and EGT gauge
.658 5th gear
Full turboback straight pipe

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
oh, that's the russian one right?

Looked into that a while back as additional instrumentation
would be really nice to get airmass, IQ, injection timing, and other measuring blocks on the MFD

IIRC they let you display actual measuring blocks and not just the very limited information available by generic OBD scanners like the scangauge

bigkahuna360

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI, 2011 BMW 335d Stage 2
oh, that's the russian one right?

Looked into that a while back as additional instrumentation
would be really nice to get airmass, IQ, injection timing, and other measuring blocks on the MFD

IIRC they let you display actual measuring blocks and not just the very limited information available by generic OBD scanners like the scangauge
Made by Eduardo Diaz, a very economical and IMO better option than ColorMFA. For what I wanted, this cost me half as much as the MFA would have. I didn’t really look into what *all* it could do, but it has been amazing for the period of time I was driving with it.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Any interest? Please send me an offer.

Hi everyone,

My son wants to get sell his 2001 GL Jetta TDI. There are 260k miles on the car. We got the car in 2016. Clean title.

Here is some maintenance history:
- 6/16 236k miles: Timing belt, VR6 clutch, new VNT-15 turbo, stainless braided turbo oil feed line, suspension and steering refresh kit, oil pump replacement, flush brake fluid, coolant temp sensor, oil cooler orings, oil cooler flange gasket, all filters (cabin, air, fuel, oil), TDI heater, skid plate and new aftermarket headlights.
- 3/17 244k miles: change oil and filter; new oil cooler o-rings
- 12/16 240k miles: Bosio DLC 1019 ULSD rated injectors including calibration
- 8/17 247k miles: rear axle bearing
- 6/18 254k miles: all filters

Here is the not so good news:
- The body has rust especially the front fenders.
- The interior is not in the greatest shape.
- 2 of the tires leak air. When we put the new tires on the rims we did not replace the valve stems. My guess is valve stems.
- windshield is cracked.
- car has been sitting since June. The battery is dead and will not recharge it seems.
- there is an oil leak from the oil cooler area. We have replaced the orings a couple of times. I have the oil cooler flange gasket and will provide this with the car.

You can boost the car and take it for a test drive. The car runs very well. The engine is solid. This car will drive for many years to come.

If you have any interest, please PM me and we can set up time for you to view the car. THe car is in Burnsville. Or PM me an offer and I can review it with my son.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
soo... I unfortinately killed my jsw. Hit a deer with the headlight while doing 70. Total loss. Thankfully i got gap insurance. Also i think something was weird with the ecu. sparratic Comminucation errors with so many things. INS wants 1500 for it. be a really good parts car. Took the radiator out so it cant be driven. it only took out bolt ons. still straight structure wise. So now i will have a red mk6 jsw with a pano roof.
Well i got my replacement, after insurance trying to screw me. the miles reset to km. so instead of 61k it read 97k km. Anyway i got another 2011 jsw tdi. had 88k when i got it. Metallic Blue, pano, 17" rims, nav. Sadly the black interior. But it was cheaper and optioned out.

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi everyone,

My son wants to get sell his 2001 GL Jetta TDI. There are 260k miles on the car. We got the car in 2016. Clean title.

Here is some maintenance history:
- 6/16 236k miles: Timing belt, VR6 clutch, new VNT-15 turbo, stainless braided turbo oil feed line, suspension and steering refresh kit, oil pump replacement, flush brake fluid, coolant temp sensor, oil cooler orings, oil cooler flange gasket, all filters (cabin, air, fuel, oil), TDI heater, skid plate and new aftermarket headlights.
- 3/17 244k miles: change oil and filter; new oil cooler o-rings
- 12/16 240k miles: Bosio DLC 1019 ULSD rated injectors including calibration
- 8/17 247k miles: rear axle bearing
- 6/18 254k miles: all filters
-10/19: new VW battery

Here is the not so good news:
- The body has rust especially the front fenders.
- The interior is not in the greatest shape.
- 2 of the tires leak air. When we put the new tires on the rims we did not replace the valve stems. My guess is valve stems. Fixed.
- windshield is cracked.
- car has been sitting since June. The battery is dead and will not recharge it seems. Replaced
- there is an oil leak from the oil cooler area. We have replaced the o-rings a couple of times. I have the oil cooler flange gasket and will provide this with the car.

You can boost the car and take it for a test drive. The car runs very well. The engine is solid. This car will drive for many years to come.

If you have any interest, please PM me and we can set up time for you to view the car. The car is in Burnsville. Or PM me an offer and I can review it with my son.
Updated the post. This is going on Craigslist as soon as my son posts it.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
hey bigkahuna, I am trying to talk myself into a GTD1752. Not likely to go as far as you in terms of fueling, but how did you solve all the little details mounting that puppy up? This for my BEW.
cheers,
Douglas