Another sometimes mysterious starting situation

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
My car has the DSG. I push hard on the brake pedal and push the Kessy button to start and nothing happens.

Take my foot of the brake and release the Kessy button and about one second later the starter engages and the engine starts.:confused:
It's like the systems thinks do I want to start or not, oh well I will.

This is NOT every time but it happens intermittently.

Anybody else have this happen?
Any idea why this might happen?

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
ECM controls starter engagement. With the colder weather it takes a couple of seconds for glow plugs to complete their cycle.

I noticed that if I keep my Passat on a battery maintainer when not in use - week or better - startup happens much quicker even with the colder weather.

Check your battery voltage prior to startup. If it's under 12.5 volts I'm thinking startup might get drawn out.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The push button start cars, especially the diesels, do some pretty strange things when the battery gets weak. I would check it.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
My car has the DSG. I push hard on the brake pedal and push the Kessy button to start and nothing happens.
Any idea why this might happen?
Is the glow plug light on while it is doing nothing?

I noticed in my 2013 that had KESSY, the starter wouldnt crank until the glow plug light went out.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The push button start cars, especially the diesels, do some pretty strange things when the battery gets weak. I would check it.

AS for glow plug light, it is not on, or at least I never see it on. I think by the time I plunk my butt on the drivers seat the system has already automatically done the glow plug cycle.

Just put this battery in, in the spring and because it is longer physically than the OEM size it took me 3 hours to make necessary modifications to the tray the battery sits on to make it fit. Autozone is not right saying it fits a 2015 Passat, without modification.

Set With VCDS to allow different charging for an AGM battery.

The coldest my car sees is right now down to maybe 40 deg F. Time to leave for warmer climes!

Autozone Duralast Platinum Group 49

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
is the brake pedal hard? or does it tell you on the dash "press prake pedal to start"?

Sometimes the vacuum is lost and you gotta romp on the pedal to activate the brake switch/sensor.

VeeDubFamily

TDI
2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL
I live in southern CA and when temps start to drop at night, I see this happen even in a garaged car. This is why they make block warmers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
740GLE, when I first got the car I got the message a few times to "press on the pedal" but after that I got used to pressing the pedal hard.:D

But as I mentioned, the strange behavior is that when I take my foot off the brake and have released the starter button, within one second the engine starts.:confused:

It isn't a problem I think, but I'm just curious as to what may be the reason.:rolleyes:

VeeDubFamily, my car does not see colder than around 40 degF. When it gets to that point I'm off to Mexico for the winter.:cool:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Our golf tdi's were designed to operate with conventional batteries, not agm. Audi a3 tdi with stop start uses agm I believe. The OE battery is rating is 61 ah. The storage capacity is a more meaningful figure rather than cca and that is why the European manf use that as a spec rather than a ccm number. if a battery is rated at 750 cca, and the starter draws 300A, it seems irrelevant. If the battery were rated at 850 cca, it will have more capacity, but how much? I think its marketing, larger number sound more impressive than smaller number denoting actual performance storing energy.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Our golf tdi's were designed to operate with conventional batteries, not agm. Audi a3 tdi with stop start uses agm I believe. The OE battery is rating is 61 ah. The storage capacity is a more meaningful figure rather than cca and that is why the European manf use that as a spec rather than a ccm number. if a battery is rated at 750 cca, and the starter draws 300A, it seems irrelevant. If the battery were rated at 850 cca, it will have more capacity, but how much? I think its marketing, larger number sound more impressive than smaller number denoting actual performance storing energy.

It's like everything else the manufacturer of ANY car will do.
Tire size no more than is necessary, but do offer larger sizes.

Battery a size that will do the job adequately at the least cost to them. Adding an AGM battery will add to the price of a car.. There is NO reason that you cannot upgrade to a better and larger capacity battery.

Also I am NOT talking about a Golf, but a Passat which probably has many more electronics in the car all using up juice.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Actually.....

Any car that utilizes an AGM battery has a different charging program, if you will, than a car with a traditional lead acid battery.

If you put an AGM battery in a regular car, it won’t be doing you any favors because the car won’t be conducive to a long life from the battery.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually.....

Any car that utilizes an AGM battery has a different charging program, if you will, than a car with a traditional lead acid battery.

If you put an AGM battery in a regular car, it won’t be doing you any favors because the car won’t be conducive to a long life from the battery.

If you own a VCDS (Hex V2) as I do, you get into the settings and make the change for AGM charging !

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Similar here with the extended delay to start. I don't take my foot off the brake though. This just as the temps start lowering into the 50's. The delay isn't much longer, the gauges just complete their calibration sweep, where when the temps are higher the starter engages before they complete the sweep. It is quick enough now that I don't even think the bulb test is over, so can't discern the glow plugs over the bulb test. When it gets colder though IIRC you can see the light on after the bulb test, and on a particularly cold morning (for SC) I've been able to also take my foot off the brake and it start. The combo of brake push and start/stop button pressed have initiated the start sequence, which goes until the car starts, fails to start, or you hit the start/stop button again.

The way you describe it you seem surprised that it starts without continuing to press the start button. Is it that or just your foot off the brake?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Bosch batteries(Exide built) are around 94 bucks any size, and carry a non prorata warranty for three years, meaning before three years any performance failure gets you a new one free. My Eurovan has had 3 and I only paid for the first one.