Am I going to have problems

stucbr

Veteran Member
TDI
01 1.9 tdi estate
When putting a new battery in a 12 reg Passat 2.0 tdi, I've read about horrors of having to get the ecu coded ect. Good god had it now got the stage where you can't even put a bloody battery in without diagnostics ffs..... or is that bollox.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
You should be fine, make sure to put it in correctly (backwards can be ridiculously expensive on some 2012s). You will have to reset basic settings on the windows, roll all the windows down one at a time hold the switch down for about 3 seconds after the window is all the way down, the rollthe window up and hold the switch for 3 seconds.

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
When putting a new battery in a 12 reg Passat 2.0 tdi, I've read about horrors of having to get the ecu coded ect. Good god had it now got the stage where you can't even put a bloody battery in without diagnostics ffs..... or is that bollox.
I had the same problems with changing a BMW X5 battery. Fortunately, changed battery in my Touareg with no such problems at all.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When I had my 2002 Jetta I did nothing except to pull the old battery and pop the new one into place.
Even in my 2015 TDI Passat that's all there is to it.

The only reason I had to use a VCDS in the Passat is because I opted for an AGM battery rather than a flooded battery. An AGM battery prefers a lower charge rate.

johnsTDI

Veteran Member
Canada,ont North America were Neighbours to usa
TDI
2012 Highline
i too have heard of some relearn that might be needed but then again some tech's will also say if You drive the vehicle long enough the computer relearns and adjust accordingly all on its own. so basically if there is a glitch or two it should fix itself on its own with some driving time back to normal. :)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It always best of you can use a memory saver of some sort. Most of the newer VAG transverse cars I just attach a jump pack or trickle charger to the underhood fuse box, the main lead plate up front (ground anywhere you can, so long as it does not hinder you getting the battery swapped out).

Just easier that way. No clock to reset, no windows to reset, no goofy idle relearns or throttle adaptations to run through, etc. Which is common on many modern cars. Nissans are the worst, they completely forget how to idle if you do not save the memory.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
It always best of you can use a memory saver of some sort. Most of the newer VAG transverse cars I just attach a jump pack or trickle charger to the underhood fuse box, the main lead plate up front (ground anywhere you can, so long as it does not hinder you getting the battery swapped out).

Good idea, where to connect if necessary!!!!!