Stopped by ministry of environment

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Bummer. On the bright side, I felt like somewhat less of a degenerate after I gave up my deleted tdi.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Don't know the history of this situation (owner or vehicle) and am not digging through Instagram to try to find out, but this isn't going to happen to a stock-looking vehicle being driven in a non-attention-getting manner. Something happened that attracted their attention. The MoE doesn't do checkpoints in which they check everyone, and they don't pull people over randomly.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Don't know the history of this situation (owner or vehicle) and am not digging through Instagram to try to find out, but this isn't going to happen to a stock-looking vehicle being driven in a non-attention-getting manner. Something happened that attracted their attention. The MoE doesn't do checkpoints in which they check everyone, and they don't pull people over randomly.

The owners wagon is stickered up, and likely as I believe it is straight piped, was more audible than the copper is used to so got him on the attention grabbing wrap and slightly louder than usual exhaust and the fact that it’s lowered and has nice wheels. Bad attitude cop (a total maybe!!) might have seen him as an easy target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Just to chine in. My car is "stickered up" like any other company car and I do have custom dual exhaust it has a great deep diesel growl. I have never been stopped by cops in the 1.5yrs I've had it.
I don't drive stupid.. It was just one of those days where I was at the wrong place at the arong time making a turn. Or you could say the ministry officer was at the right place at the right time.

The officer was a licensed mechanic and was also a former audi/VW enthusiast. I asked him how he knew I was deleted. He said as I accelerate to make my left hand turn at the light he heard my exhaust and knew right away as all deleted diesels make/have a very distinctive sound when deleted. (the jet engine whistling sound)

So unfortunately I got followed and he pulled me over.... Sucks for me that I'm part of this unicorn scenario that we all once heard of....

I was given a fine and a month to put it back to stock emissions

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Just to chine in. My car is "stickered up" like any other company car and I do have custom dual exhaust it has a great deep diesel growl. I have never been stopped by cops in the 1.5yrs I've had it.
I don't drive stupid.. It was just one of those days where I was at the wrong place at the arong time making a turn. Or you could say the ministry officer was at the right place at the right time.

The officer was a licensed mechanic and was also a former audi/VW enthusiast. I asked him how he knew I was deleted. He said as I accelerate to make my left hand turn at the light he heard my exhaust and knew right away as all deleted diesels make/have a very distinctive sound when deleted. (the jet engine whistling sound)

So unfortunately I got followed and he pulled me over.... Sucks for me that I'm part of this unicorn scenario that we all once heard of....

I was given a fine and a month to put it back to stock emissions

To be clear, stickered up was not meant as offensive, was just highlighting the idea that vinyl wrapping a car attracts attention more than a standard one color car. Also, your car sounded amazing, and that cop using his expertise is a turd lol.

What is better, slightly better emissions, or a car that burns less fuel in the first place?

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
To be clear, stickered up was not meant as offensive, was just highlighting the idea that vinyl wrapping a car attracts attention more than a standard one color car. Also, your car sounded amazing, and that cop using his expertise is a turd lol.

What is better, slightly better emissions, or a car that burns less fuel in the first place?
No offense taken

It was just one of those days...unfortunately

Now that I have to go back to stock not sure how I'll like driving the car.

Thoughts of going 1.8t 4motion GSW has always been on my mind

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
No offense taken

It was just one of those days...unfortunately

Now that I have to go back to stock not sure how I'll like driving the car.

Thoughts of going 1.8t 4motion GSW has always been on my mind

Go BMW diesel wagon maybe? They have good pep I hear, plus you get to keep your luxury wagon life style.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Well i want something gwith more pep and fun.. Like fast fun not tdi

I still have my mk4 alh wagon as a tdi project.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Alltrack with an IS38 turbo, you'll be just as fast as a stock R but you'll have a propper boot.

Honestly as much as it stinks for you, I wish the local cops here would do the same around here, the number of brotrucks (all stickered up/lifted with stacks) is ridiculous.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Wow, thats wild! :eek:

Couldn't you put stuff back and still run tune? Do they just do visual inspection?

Keep us posted on this.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Now that the Drive Clean program has been canceled, it would be interesting to know how they propose to find out the difference between being actually put back completely 100% back to stock, or "looks and sounds stock".

Back when Drive Clean was still around, all they checked for was the MIL and readiness status, and that it looked stock.

Who's supposed to look at it to verify that it's "back to stock"? (If it's in the link given in the original post ... I'm not creating an Instagram account just to find this out)

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
wow what a douche.

also if you are selling that exhaust stuff..... shoot me a PM please

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
The officer is a douche for doing the job he was hired to do? Seems to me if you are breaking the laws/rules and get caught, the last thing you should do is call the officer a douche, especially behind his back.

do you say that about DEA officers who bust down doors in no knock raids? Just doing their jobs?

I thought we decided that "just doing their jobs" wasn't an acceptable rationale for behavior a long time ago. I thought the debate was settled.

I'm a nurse, when people say "he's just doing his job", no, I'm not. I'm working to keep you safe, I'm working to prevent you from getting a pressure injury, I'm doing this for you". I can defend everything I do without invoking the known fact that I'm "just doing my job".

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
In this instance the officer was doing his job legitimately. Not something over the top. Sometimes people are just doing the job they are supposed to do. Your argument doesn't give you an out for everything.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
do you say that about DEA officers who bust down doors in no knock raids? Just doing their jobs?

I thought we decided that "just doing their jobs" wasn't an acceptable rationale for behavior a long time ago. I thought the debate was settled.

I'm a nurse, when people say "he's just doing his job", no, I'm not. I'm working to keep you safe, I'm working to prevent you from getting a pressure injury, I'm doing this for you". I can defend everything I do without invoking the known fact that I'm "just doing my job".

Yup when I think of Canada i think of the 4th reich. It all started with drinking age of 18 then eased into a crazy idea socialized health care, cheap prescriptions and lax weed laws. It just a giant ruse for a totalitarian state, the sheeple never even saw it coming!

Papers Please!!! :D

Whats you're feeling about the mandatory commercial trucking inspections set up by State Police on the sides of the highway?