local VW key service in Canada?

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Highline w/DSG ; 2003 Jetta ALH w/5spd
Hi -

The lonesome remote flip key that came with my 2003 car has seen better days. I need a second one as a spare anyway, so am looking to have a new remote flip key cut and programmed to the car. I don't have a spare right now, not even a valet key, not even a non-chip key.

I have come across Sidewinder Key already, and prices/services seem decent. Before I pull the trigger with them, I thought I would check for any local (Canadian) places that can cut/program a VW remote key.

I am in southern Alberta. Local is preferred, but I don't mind shipping (Canada) if needed. Failing this, I think I'll stick with Sidewinder for supply/cut and borrowing the programming cable.

Any recommendations from you all? If I can't find a place here in Canada, is Sidewinder the place to go?

TIA,
Jason

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I know a couple places in Toronto..

But really call around to the lock smiths, you most likely have 1 or 2 that could help you out.

If you can find someone with vagcom and vag tacho to program it to the car you can also order blank off amazon/other fav site for cheaper and get someone to cut it.

Not to diminish tdiclub for everything wonderful it has, but finding a local vw group on facebook is great for this type of info, its much more localized info now. quick search shows me 'alberta mk4 Volkswagen tdi's' etc.. you don't need tdi specific for this though.

unorganizedplan

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Highline w/DSG ; 2003 Jetta ALH w/5spd
I know a couple places in Toronto..

But really call around to the lock smiths, you most likely have 1 or 2 that could help you out.

If you can find someone with vagcom and vag tacho to program it to the car you can also order blank off amazon/other fav site for cheaper and get someone to cut it.

Not to diminish tdiclub for everything wonderful it has, but finding a local vw group on facebook is great for this type of info, its much more localized info now. quick search shows me 'alberta mk4 Volkswagen tdi's' etc.. you don't need tdi specific for this though.
thanks for the info. i know this is not a TDI specific issue, but figure i'd ask here first. i'll look at some local VW FB pages and see what I can come up with. I already called a couple locksmiths here in Calgary area . . . no luck yet.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
thanks for the info. i know this is not a TDI specific issue, but figure i'd ask here first. i'll look at some local VW FB pages and see what I can come up with. I already called a couple locksmiths here in Calgary area . . . no luck yet.

$70-$78 for a complete key FOB. All you need to do is get it programmed for the immobilizer. The remote access part you can do on your own.

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/replacem...-mk4-golf-jetta-passat-and-new-beetle-immo-3/

If all you want is to update the buttons get one of these for $10.99
https://www.tunemyeuro.com/square-key-fob-battery-3-buttons-control-with-panic-for-vw/