The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
R&R for the engine, just swapping in my spare from the White B4 that I hit a tree with a few years back,(329K) putting in another transaxle with low milage (110K) heater core upgrade, R&R the steering rack with a NAPA rebuilt unit, strut bushings because I forgot last time... alignment and AC charge. I want it ready for cross country travel for the fall. I've already done the CV shafts, front wheel bearings, inner & outer tie rods and brakes all around just before I took this off the road.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Very nice! What does the rear emblem read... GL?

Not used to seeing sport seats in these cars. Are they original?

-Todd

CAYB

TDI
MK6 1.6 CR
Very nice! What does the rear emblem read... GL?
Not used to seeing sport seats in these cars. Are they original?
-Todd
Yes GL for "Grand Luxe" or something like that. with climatronic and sport seats. The seats are original but the driver seat is pretty beaten.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In the USA, these were simply called TDI, came with unbolstered seats, and I don’t think Climatronic ever made it to our country.

Our early TDIs, were almost base models.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes GL for "Grand Luxe" or something like that. with climatronic and sport seats. The seats are original but the driver seat is pretty beaten.
In the USA, these were simply called TDI, came with unbolstered seats, and I don’t think Climatronic ever made it to our country.

Our early TDIs, were almost base models.

-Todd
Very nice, yes sport seats were not available here, we have to put them together if we want them.

Climatronic was not available here on any B3/4 or Mk3 car either but there are a few guys on VWVortex that have imported the parts and installed it. Too much work for me just for AC...lol.

As Todd said the US tdi cars are all badged as TDI but the trim level is really GL, same with the Mk3 cars too, they were GL trim level in 97 and I think in 1998 and early 99 they were GLS trim level maybe.

I'm working on sport seats for my B3V TDI wagon. Maybe someday they'll be done.

And CAYB, is your car the 90hp version?

Steve

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Exactly. I think there were 3 different Diesel engines available in the EU. Don’t know how it was in the States.

We only got the 90hp tdi, we did not get the 110hp AFN TDI engine in any car here nor did we get anything with the SDI engines.

Steve

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Very nice! Your wagon has 5-lug wheels, are they OEM ? In the US we only received 4-lug wheels on the TDI B4s.

I also noted the fender amber signal light, a very useful feature IMHO.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've been driving mine. I had to drop a car at the IDParts warehouse last Saturday, where my B4 (formerly owned by BRUSSELS BELGIUM) rests. So I pulled it out and drove it home. I've been daily driving it for the past few days, even put fuel in it (first time since last November). These truly are great cars. Mine only needs a couple minor things, especially since weather is mild and the needed blend door repair isn't an issue. I've owned this car for 5 years or so and have never taken a road trip in it. Maybe it's time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Haven't done a Diesel Purge in any car for a some time:

I'm not sure this B4 has ever had this treatment, and, as far as I know, it has original injectors at 288K. Regardless, it runs much more smoothly after. It was not happy at low revs/low load in the upper gears, didn't want to run smoothly at 35 MPH in 4th. Now it's much, much better.

I'll probably refresh the injetors next year, but I've hesitated to do so because this thing delivers such good FE, no matter how it's driven.

TDIDaveNH

TDI
Tore apart the dash to upgrade the heater core a few days ago.

I was surprised how thick the plastic tanks were

One of my blend door fixes didn't quite hold up the way I thought it would. I covered these with tool box drawer liner right around 5 years ago...one held up great but for some reason the other did not...

This probably wasn't a good idea, but we'll see......Yes, brown leather....on both sides

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That end tank ruptured? What was the core upgrade?

Leather is baller. Needs LV logos...

-Todd

TDIDaveNH

TDI
Yes, it was a BHG that wasn’t THAT bad but kept getting progressively worse
late last year. Up to that point I’d have intermittent cooling problems
until it finally gave up the ghost...at highway speed towing empty despite driving it sparingly every once in a while, I’d need to use it.

I put an aluminum tank core in from a B5.5, just had to tweek the tubes a bit to get it to match the B4 plastic core.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes, it was a BHG that wasn’t THAT bad but kept getting progressively worse
late last year. Up to that point I’d have intermittent cooling problems
until it finally gave up the ghost...at highway speed towing empty despite driving it sparingly every once in a while, I’d need to use it.

I put an aluminum tank core in from a B5.5, just had to tweek the tubes a bit to get it to match the B4 plastic core.

Somewhere I have a how-to for that B5.5 core that I haven't posted yet, photos and all. Just shows how the pipes compare with the OE core and how much tweaking needs to happen. The pipes are a tad longer too I'm not sure if a person needs to trim the hoses a bit or not.

It's a good conversion and one I wish I would have done on the B3V. I have the new all metal core for the Mk3 though when that project finally gets under way.

The B3V got new tires yesterday, the Uniroyal I had on there were finally giving out. Also tightened up the rear suspension, one of the beam axle pivot bolts was a bit loose, she's all better now.

Steve

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
a list of things getting all checked off. my B4V is so happy!
Bleed brakes
Replace vacuum/ pressure hoses
Replace diesel return lines
Inspect brakes
Buy "GQ" ECU
Buy E-Code HELLA headlights
Buy HID LIGHT KIT FOR LOW BEAM
Buy HID kit for fog light
Buy LED kit for high beams
Install headlights with bulbs
Cabin filter
Replace dash lights
Hardwire TPMS & phone chargers
Side-rear view mirror switch
paint TDI emblems (front & rear)
Replace repair clutch pedal return spring
Temp repair clutch pedal return spring
Bleed clutch
Pressure wash rims
Add vacuum reservoir
Rotate tires
swap ECU chips

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The B5 mirror is a direct swap and one of the best upgrades you can do.

Did you paint the emblems? I used the metal HVAC tape and it looks like factory. I tried many ways of painting but it never looked very good. This tape has held up great since 2014.

Emblem before covering it

The silver tape:

The red lens repair tape:

Finished product:

I did the same with the Passat Emblem:

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My B4 came without the rear Passat TDI emblem. I'd love to replace it if anyone has one kicking around.

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
the b5 mirror is a direct swap and one of the best upgrades you can do. Which mirror? exterior side mirror, or interior rear view mirror?
did you paint the emblems? yes, hand painted with a silver paint pen. Its an improvement, but still a kinda meh..
i used the metal hvac tape and it looks like factory. wow wow wow. Brilliant! What a great idea!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Hair dryer and dental floss. Or fishing line. If you get to it please bring to Kirk’s GTG. Thanks!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
the b5 mirror is a direct swap and one of the best upgrades you can do. Which mirror? exterior side mirror, or interior rear view mirror?
did you paint the emblems? yes, hand painted with a silver paint pen. Its an improvement, but still a kinda meh..
i used the metal hvac tape and it looks like factory. wow wow wow. Brilliant! What a great idea!!
He's talking about the inside rearview mirror. The B5 / B5.5 and Audi cars have several different models of rearview mirror that are upgrades to the B4, or any B3 Passat that has a B4 windshield glass with the correct mount. Should work also on any Mk3 tdi 97+ which uses same mount.

I have an Audi auto-dimming version installed at the moment, it has electric eye that senses headlights behind you. Also it's setup to undim should you put it in reverse. It's a nice addition but you need to run additional wiring to support it. My Mk3 will get one when that car comes back into service.

Steve

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Changed the oil at 278,000 along with 3 filters (oil, air and cabin) on the 96 B4 black sedan

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
Abacus, the metallic tape looks BALLER. So good! It's something I would never have thought of on my own!

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
After hiding in the garage since (I think) November 2017 The Mk3 gets a new timing belt.

Had to change it because it's being moved to the new building tomorrow.

I had forgotten what it was like to drive it. I've been driving the B3V as a DD since early 2016, the Jetta only came out a couple times when the B3V had to be down for overnight maintenance.

Timing was almost spot on when I set it after the belt change in Vag-com.

Had a pic but with photobucket blurring everything seemed worthless to post it.

switched it to Imgur, time to move everything off PB I guess.

Steve

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Been a few months, so I went to the junkyard. Last 2 trips, I left empty handed. This time I found a vr6 Passat sedan.... haven’t had a B4 in the yard in probably 5 years. Body is good, but the paint is trashed. Interior is also trashed.

Grabbed the 2 piece grill, door pins and instrument cluster. There were 2 rubber pads on the rad support that the metal grill sat on... never saw these before. Will be going back for the hood, bumper and front doors. Don’t need them, but you never know...

The mirror control actually had the clips on it... pretty rare to see this.

Rear left door won’t open from the outside or inside... I’m guessing the door panel will need to be sacrificed to get in?

Found some old A/D/S passive crossovers in the trunk. This was high end audio, from yesteryear... curious what’s in the doors. Me loves some quality gear....

-Todd

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Steve Addy said:
Had a pic but with photobucket blurring everything seemed worthless to post it.
I wonder if their goal is to kill their own company. They now have millions of images all over the web, that deliver one message: "This is how your photos will look on Photobucket."