Downpipe advice needed - VNT20 ALH TDI

AWD-TDI

TDI
ALH - 2003 AWD Jetta
I've got a VNT 2052 on my ALH TDI and the DP is rusty. I can see this becoming a problem sooner than later. Does anyone know if there is a source for a better one? Is this a custom fab? This car is new to me so I'm not too sure and need some help. It's pretty hard to see and get to so any advice on physical replacement procedure is also welcome.

Thanks!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190809/65144e72c5d4e6e66e9517c41cda2ba0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190809/30807ffd6d09bb8d4118d42f527ef05b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190809/e906718309468088d5c97bbae82c32b0.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190809/e199aad7ec8c0d19befd85a9ee45448c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190809/3c096d6c353ca3bdc3f3fb210fb410be.jpg

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
wait till it gets a hole in it. have one made in stainless
do not wrap it up with that heat wrap stuff, it will make it worse.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Just have to say, I haven't seen a VNT20 before, only heard of them. That things a MONSTER.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
That's a one off piece - especially with AWD, you won't find an "off the shelf" solution unless you're really lucky and some 1.8T or Quattro TT part might fit?

The procedure is pretty simple - unbolt the old and bolt in the new - nothing too complicated.

If what you have works well, you might be able to remove it, take it to a fab shop and have them make up a new one using this as a template. I'll warn you though, this is not as easy as it sounds. As you mention, there is not a lot of room and most things like this are custom made to the exact vehicle as variances from one to the next are enough to make an off the shelf version cause a lot of problems. Particularly as you have a unique AWD jetta.

Good luck!

AWD-TDI

TDI
ALH - 2003 AWD Jetta
I don’t see a problem here , drive more worry less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm all about that however I get some exhaust smell and even a bit of smoke in engine bay now. Not sure exactly where its coming from. Also since I'm doing a clutch soon I'm hoping to take care of a bunch of problems and secure the next 100k plus of reliability.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

AWD-TDI

TDI
ALH - 2003 AWD Jetta
Thanks for all the great comments guys!

I think I'll pop it off when I do my clutch and have it remade in stainless as suggested. I dont want to be put in a rush situation as a result of a DP failure.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
As suggested above, take the exhaust downpipe off and have a fab shop duplicate what you have on a jig in stainless steel 304 or 316... Get a decent quality flex pipe and you can use a quality vee band clamp as well if you have room...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Even a good quality 409 SS pipe would probably outlast the rest of the car at this point.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
even cheep alumilized steel pipe with some VHT paint on it would outlast the car lol

AWD-TDI

TDI
ALH - 2003 AWD Jetta
As suggested above, take the exhaust downpipe off and have a fab shop duplicate what you have on a jig in stainless steel 304 or 316... Get a decent quality flex pipe and you can use a quality vee band clamp as well if you have room...
I like the 316 for sure. With all the chassis work done on this car I plan to keep it for long time. It's in basically rust free condition. Thanks for advice.

AWD-TDI

TDI
ALH - 2003 AWD Jetta
Ok.. so this may be tough to answer but does anyone know what other turbo options this new and hypothetical down pipe would suit? Since I'm in it for the long haul, I'd consider a more modern and higher performance turbo when the time comes. I dont mind spending money on a good DP especially if it's a bit versatile.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Basically none - it has more to do with the header construction (which locates the turbo relative to everything else) than the turbo itself.

If you're considering a turbo upgrade, look at darkside - they have GTB/C/D kits for MKIV's with AWD which will be both more responsive (driveable) and more power than what you have now and all the parts should bolt on.

AWD-TDI

TDI
ALH - 2003 AWD Jetta
Basically none - it has more to do with the header construction (which locates the turbo relative to everything else) than the turbo itself.

If you're considering a turbo upgrade, look at darkside - they have GTB/C/D kits for MKIV's with AWD which will be both more responsive (driveable) and more power than what you have now and all the parts should bolt on.
Would I not be using my same header ? I'll look into darkside.