2002 Muffler-delete, what length pipe and size

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
So I'm about to do a stage 4 on my TDI and want to delete the muffler. I've seen most people say is 2.25 and 3 feet long. Will this work? I have a welder, if I need to use it, but I'd rather it just slip on.

Thanks in advance.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
can you list your mods please, stage 4? im just curious.
Most places you can just get a 3 or 4 foot stretch, cut as you need, get clamps, probably all rusted though.
DIY full exhaust is cheap if you get the pipe and the bends. I did my own 3" for $90 bucks , 60 in pipe and 20 in high temp paint, heat wrap, bits, cutting disks and wire for my mig.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You can delete the muffler, but the restriction in the stock exhaust isn't there. It's in the bend coming out of the turbo and the flex pipe, which has an interior diameter not much larger than a quarter. A larger down pipe that flows better will get you more benefit (less turbo spike, better air flow, lower EGTs) than deleting the muffler.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
So I'm about to do a stage 4 on my TDI and want to delete the muffler. I've seen most people say is 2.25 and 3 feet long. Will this work? I have a welder, if I need to use it, but I'd rather it just slip on.
Thanks in advance.

Years ago I did a "Mufflerectomy" on my 2002 Jetta TDI. After 2 years the complaints I got from passengers, especially in the back seat about the droning noise made me re-install a "Hollywood" or "Straight through" muffler to eliminate that droning.

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
can you list your mods please, stage 4? im just curious.
I have an auto to manual converted car (so 11mm), 230 injectors, PD150, tune by Jeff Stevenson, and a 1752MFS turbo. I also have a stage 2 cam (new lifters etc) and some other goodies to install.

EDIT

And a Stage 2 Endurance Clutch

Last edited:

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Those cars don't care what pipe you're using. Hell, a fence post will work just as well. You can just sawzall the muffler and clamp on a couple feet of pipe and call it a day. 2.25" or larger will work all the same, especially with that turbo.

JoeTDI65

TDI
2002 Golf
Those cars don't care what pipe you're using. Hell, a fence post will work just as well. You can just sawzall the muffler and clamp on a couple feet of pipe and call it a day. 2.25" or larger will work all the same, especially with that turbo.
as long as the fence post is hollow....:p couldn't resist.