Considering a Touareg TDI

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
We have a 2013 Touareg TDI that we used to tow a Casita travel trailer. The Casita loaded probably weighed about 3300-3500 pounds. It did fine, we went all over the Southeast with it. The problem you may have is tongue weight. As I recall, the Touareg max tongue weight is just over 600 pounds. Americans tend to want 10-15% tongue weight while Europeans seem to get by just fine with half that. I don't know if you will find a suitable size trailer with that little tongue weight. Keep in mind if you pile a bunch of stuff in the back of the Touareg you will reduce the tongue weight capacity. We have had lots of tow vehicles including Suburbans and various trucks. With what you have (kids, camper, etc) a 2500 Suburban would certainly do better loaded, much more people and cargo room, trailer capacity, etc. but it doesn't drive like a Touareg unloaded. I wouldn't even consider a 1500 Sub for your needs and a 2500 won't get near the economy of a TDI Touareg. You might want to look around for a Diesel Ford Excursion. I have a friend with one and he loves it. That would do anything you want, but they are not cheap.

Here is out Touareg with the Casita
I don't know for sure, but I think all later USA spec Touaregs came with the hitch and 7 pin trailer wiring. You will need to add a brake controller and run the wire for the electric brakes to the trailer connector. I used this Redarc controller, it tucks under the dash with only a knob exposed. I placed it right next to the light switch, it's out of the way but accessible when you need it.
What kind of mileage do you get towing the Casita?
I am planning on towing a heavy 16' Scamp with my new to me 2012 TDI Touareg Exec.
Currently we use our 2016 Town and country and get about 16 MPG.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Here are the raatings asn setup for towing with a Touareg

From the spec sheet for my 2012 TDI Executive

Dead Weight (Ball) 5000 lbs
Dead weight max tongue weight 500 lbs

Weight distributing hitch 7700 lbs
Weight Dist max tongue weight 1150 lbs.

From the OEM hitch stickers -

Both say 7700 with 616 lbs tongue weight.
the geometry says max extension to the top canter of the ball from pin hole 6.15" and .562 to the bottom of the ball down from the extension of the center line of the ball

Last edited:

Jflemieux

TDI
2014 touareg r line
I use it to tow 6000lbs on long distance (100 0 km(600 miles) for 3 years. Car is now 240000km. The best towing vehicule on this category by far. low gas mileage when not towing. This is the latest over-engineered high tech and built strong VW. Atlas is p. o. s. when you compare even said by vw dealers.

BUT, very expensive car to maintain, too complex engine cooling and design, i got a Porsche Cayenne before, not the same price tag for maintenance fees but nearly. I used Chevy Tahoe, very simple mecanic when you compare, but it handle like a boat, no handling at all and gas mileage is terrible even with the latest models. ( i didn’t tried diesel however)