B4 TDI w/ ABS (Not GLX Swap)

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Would someone mind posting a picture of their B4 Passat TDI that came stock with ABS please? I'm specifically looking for a picture showing the booster, ABS module, and the hard brake lines that go to and from the module please.

Also, if you don't mind, will you please share or PM your VIN as well? I'm trying to order replacement parts, but my car didn't originally come equipped with ABS, but was added later, so my VIN doesn't show any ABS info associated with my car.

Thanks in advance.

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Hope this helps, this is a 96or7 GLX I pulled the VR out of a few days ago:

Last edited:

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Thanks TDIDave. I need to order replacement lines for the bottom 4 lines coming out of the ABS module. I'm not sure if VW is going to have them available any more or not. They look like they would be a pain to bend on my own, so hopefully, I can find a source for them.

The other option is to find a part out car near me, but that's next to impossible.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thanks TDIDave. I need to order replacement lines for the bottom 4 lines coming out of the ABS module. I'm not sure if VW is going to have them available any more or not. They look like they would be a pain to bend on my own, so hopefully, I can find a source for them.
The other option is to find a part out car near me, but that's next to impossible.
You're talking about the lines from the ABS out to the wheels? That's what the four lines at the bottom of the Mk20 ATE ABS unit (pictured above)

The big lines for all cars are NLA (if they ever were), the replacement instructions from VW are to buy a coil of the line, fittings and bend them new on-site.

If you can find used ones in a JY getting them out intact would be the problem, but it can be done.

Hope this helps you out, I don't see the bends as being a problem, just make the U turns a little larger and use a bending tool to help.

Steve

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
And the new stuff won't corrode.
Ditto on that, there's some really nice polymer coated stuff now that's pretty easy to work with.

I had to redo all the brake lines on my 94 Dakota and used the polymer stuff.

Steve

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
B4s are getting scarce in yards even out here, which is VW central. But, if I did find one I could potentially go pull the lines for you. And are most likely to be rust free considering the weather around here.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
The other challenge is it's only 2 years worth of cars with those lines.

1996-1997 Passats. The 1995 and earlier Passats use the ATE Mk4 system, and not the Mk20. Very different valve block, control module, and it still has the unloader valve in the rear, which the mk20 doesn't.

So if you have the Mk20 (which a 96 and up car should), it's literally only 2 years worth of Passats that have those lines... and mostly VR6s.