rear tire wear on inside.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
My 11 JSW just got its first oil change.

When it was on the lift I noticed some pretty drastic wear to the inside of both rear tires.

When I bought the car, a few months and 11K miles ago, the tires looked close to new.

My mechanic (Mike from 413 auto, who I found here) said it could just be a lack of rotation. Not sure I buy that explanation.

Any ideas?

One thing to note, is that I regularly carry a heavy work part, about 180 lbs. I carry it in the rear of the car. That's not a ton of weight, but it is all right in the ass.

Fortunately, I don't carry it that often, and when I do again, I will push it as far forward as possible. Might as well just pull the rear seat bottoms out so I can get it all the way forward.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Probably negative toe and camber, get an alignment, if it was under inflated air pressure you’d get wear on the inside and outside

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
The camber in the rear tires caused a wear pattern on the inside of the tires tread surface.
Kind of patterned, right? Like fat diagonal lines? This becomes exaggerated when the back of the car is loaded.

I first rotated my tires every 10k when I did my oil change. HUGE wear on the rear that I then listened to on the front until they evened out (took about 4-5k miles).
Since then, I have rotated tires every 5k and everything stays smooth and wears even.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Sometimes, your tires are just plain garbage and the only way to rectify the situation is to get a new set. This was my experience with the OEM Continentals on my 2010 Jetta, which started to show clear signs of cupping on rear inside edges at around 10k despite being rotated every 5k. I had the alignment checked - dead centered. I had the tires balanced - no need to add or remove any weights anywhere, they were just fine. No issues found with any of the suspension components, either. The noise from the uneven wear was getting so loud and annoying that I decided to dump them at 25k and get a new set. I bought a set of Bridgestone Driveguards, and it was plain sailing for the next 35k with absolutely no issues until I sold the car back to VW. I eliminated the whole problem by merely switching to a different set of tires. Maybe you are dealing with the exact same issue.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Sometimes, your tires are just plain garbage and the only way to rectify the situation is to get a new set. This was my experience with the OEM Continentals on my 2010 Jetta, which started to show clear signs of cupping on rear inside edges at around 10k despite being rotated every 5k. I had the alignment checked - dead centered. I had the tires balanced - no need to add or remove any weights anywhere, they were just fine. No issues found with any of the suspension components, either. The noise from the uneven wear was getting so loud and annoying that I decided to dump them at 25k and get a new set. I bought a set of Bridgestone Driveguards, and it was plain sailing for the next 35k with absolutely no issues until I sold the car back to VW. I eliminated the whole problem by merely switching to a different set of tires. Maybe you are dealing with the exact same issue.

Me too, bad cupping on a set of Goodyear’s on a ‘97 Pontiac, it would howl at highway speeds

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Anyone have an opinion on Cooper Evolutions? Walmart has them 65/tire. Reviews seems good.

Only on my moms Cadillac, I prefer to buy cheap Asian tires and put around around 25 or 30k on them then sell off the old set. I just bought a set of 16” Ohtsu for $220 and dumped the Americana’s that came with the car for $100, they only had 14k on them, I can usually get $60-$80 for the old set. My last 8 or 10 sets of tires have all been Falken, Sumitomo, Hankook, Kumho, Nankang and on my second set of Ohtsu, all these tires are actually very good but I probably wouldn’t buy Hankook or Kumho again.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
My uncle is a cheaperbastard than me, he was bragging that he bought some used Michelin’s for $40 a pop, I told him I paid $55 a tire new and may have recruited another Asian tire aficionado

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
[/U]OEM Continentals ;ave never been good to me. Loud, harsh riding a always seeped air pressure.

Americas tire has always treated me great and will match or beat any comparable price. Free unscheduled tire balance & rotations. They will even warrenty outside purchased tires for a couple bucks. My tires where CPO cheapo new chinese, they warrentied them. Most likely that'll save me $ when they fail

In the Red

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Wagon
Anyone have an opinion on Cooper Evolutions? Walmart has them 65/tire. Reviews seems good.
Have about 1000 miles on new Cooper Evolution tours. Actually are 215/55/16. A little wider and taller. Ride is a little softer. They are super quiet compared to my old Uniroyal Tiger Paws(205/55/16)