What turbo to buy?

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Hello I currently need a new turbo and am looking for inputs. Car is an 02 alh jetta and mods are fmic 2.5-3 exhaust. Pd150 intake sbc stage three endurance bosio ulsd 1019 11mm IP lift pump old man intake from Kerma. kerma tune thanks for all inputs in advance

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Depends on the hp/tq you want to achieve. For the 160-170 hp range a Vnt17 will suit you. More power, bigger tubro. Bigger turbo is also more $$$

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Okay cool beans thanks I was thinking the s7 v2 Borg Warner from kerma it's not much more $$$ but is it worth it is the question I have now

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
You don't say what level of tune you are running, but if you have a vnt-15 and want to upgrade to the vnt-17 or S7 you will need a new tune. I realize Kerma will update your tune free if you buy your hardware there; most people around here will tell you to stay away from the S7.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
With the mods you currently have, I'd say the DAP 18/56 would be a really fun option. 17/56 built into the VNT15 would be a good budget friendly option. I've got about the same level of mods and I'd be tempted to 1856 if my motor had less than 307k miles. Otherwise the 17/56 likely makes most sense for me if my 17/22 ever decides to kick it!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have a 17/56 built into a vnt-15 housing and am very happy with it. I live at 4600' elevation and have no problem building boost at low RPM.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Not really shooting for a certain number I daily drive the car and want to stay reliable but have some highway play also. I did have the Garrett vnt 1749vb I believe it was. And the car has been tuned for everything except the intake omi from kerma And new turbo. Thanks everyone

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you're going to use it as a daily and want to keep reliable, I'd suggest the Vnt17 then. Talking with my tuner he said Vnt17 and maybe 764 nozzles would be pushing the limit of a stock long block. Past that you would need to start considering rods, pistons, maybe water meth injection to maintain temperatures. Sure you could run something bigger like a 17/22, it would last if you actually drove it decently. But rocketing it around is what would wear everything out.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Ditch all these old turbos from the past and go with the new, and go with either GTD17/52vrk or GTD17/56vrk and Russell gave you the name of the builder GOTTUNNED great people and you'll get a damn good turbo,!!

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I was in need of a new turbo after the stock one went bad...ended going with the S-7 and have been happy..I was torn between that and the VNT-17. I'm also running the Kerma OMI and tune.

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Okay cool beans thanks. I do alot of highway driving so at most a pull here and there. I do monitor my gauges closely but am only a year In to the tdi world and all input/suggestions help. So after this turbo I'll be done building and settle for what it is as I don't want to do internals but maybe a cam down the road here n that's it thanks again

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
https://gottuned.com/product/gtb175...m-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi/

For around a $1k I'd be going for one of these, with a billet wheel, 3rd gen
VNT, and boost up to 31psi. Drive it reasonably and it'll go for years and
give you all the power that the stock block can handle.

Down the track a rebuilt head and Franko6 cam will be the icing on the cake.
I love my current setup as a highway cruiser.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
https://gottuned.com/product/gtb175...m-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi/

For around a $1k I'd be going for one of these, with a billet wheel, 3rd gen
VNT, and boost up to 31psi. Drive it reasonably and it'll go for years and
give you all the power that the stock block can handle.

Down the track a rebuilt head and Franko6 cam will be the icing on the cake.
I love my current setup as a highway cruiser.
You will be doing the right thing by buying that turbo, you will not regret it.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Totally agree with Max on this. The newer turbos from these guys in Poland are sweet units and wow do they spin! You can't go wrong and an easy upgrade...but you might run it a bit before deciding if you need tune updating...

FRtdilover

TDI
2001 4motion ARL 150
FWIW

GTD1752VRK (stock OEM unit, not vnt hybrid) on stock rebuilt ARL :

1,5b @ 1500rpm
2b @ 1900rpm

More than enough to ruin your DMF if you still have one

When you reach 1500rpm, it's really responsive.
Boost gauge looks like throttle pedal sensor
This turbo is really nice, I vote for it too

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
That's one gtb1756vk sold thanks everyone.ordered the turbo today so excited to be rolling coal again here soon

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
That's one gtb1756vk sold thanks everyone.ordered the turbo today so excited to be rolling coal again here soon

Congrats! Let us know how it works out.
Lol, if you're any where near the SE of PA, let me know.
Would love to compare notes, ie I'll let you drive mine if
you let me drive yours. {;o)

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Thanks man and I am in sw PA near Pittsburgh not many tdi ppl around here they all five cylinder folks. Probably heard of him felbaum does custom speed density software but couldn't get the tdi tuned by em unfortunately. One of the best for five cylinders tho. But I will keep this updated . I ain't going to retune yet as cash prevents that but still with a 27 PSi set up it should be okay maybe even last longer who know thanks again

Last edited:

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I’m from SW pa too. About 30 miles south of Pittsburgh. Tdi game is very small in this area. I own more tdis’ then probably the whole town put together hah!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Let's see...VNT15/15 is gen1, GTB is 2nd gen...I like the idea of the GTD1752VRK for a lightly modded BEW. I like the quick spool of the BV39 but it is still boosting properly...

For the Gottuned stuff, I like that they have tied it all together, and among other things shortened the outlet spigot. It is a moderate upcharge, and the most troublesome bit seems to be the inlet hook up.

Then an ALH IC, a 1.8T pancake, and something to do away with the rest of the BEW clip on stuff. Not a weekend project for me...but I can always drive the Cummins whilst waiting for some bits to arrive.
cheers,
Douglas