No more Golfs or Sportwagons

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
That's sad news. I'm glad I have my Golf and two Sportwagens.

ETA: Now that I've taken time to think about it, no more Beetle, Golf or Sportswagen. So, that's a big hit to the plant in Mexico. Not that I care about Mexico, but it seems like VW put a lot into the factory and now they're going a different direction. Maybe they want to make room for their new truck.....I don't know.

Still, I'm sad to see the three cars that were immediately recognized as a VW gone. No offense to anyone but, their sedans are so...blah.

With these cars gone and no diesel option, I wouldn't even consider buying a new VW.

Last edited:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Looks like vw is following ford's model... Guess we gotta thank all those soccer moms and plastic faced hollywood stars for all the lovely CUV/SUVs we have on the road

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The story didn't really say anything about sportwagons, but if the Golf is only 2% of sales, it would make sense to drop it.

For a diesel forum such as this, the fact that none of the Golf models have diesel in the USofA, the action deserves a heartfelt, "So what?" in reply.

For some strange reason, VW has always delt with us 'muricans as something less than a market that deserves full attention and/or regard. They probably feel even more so now, due to the aftermath of the diesel testing scandals. That it is their own fault isn't something the megalomaniacs on the board of directors will ever allow.

Oh well...

PH

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They are so lost here it doesn't matter. Not much of anything at their showroom that I would be interested in anymore either.

They are going to try to ram all these fugly overpriced Buzz nonsense cars on us.

My TDI horde should serve me until I drop dead. I just hope I can continue to get service parts for them. Fortunately, there are a LOT of them out there globally.

What really sucks is, in the last couple weeks, two more nice A4 Jettas were lost from the road due to young drivers. Customers' cars. Either one of them would have handily outlasted anything new Volkswagen would sell you today.

(drivers were OK)

So, while I have no less than three EA888 engines here in various state of Fail, cars like this BEW Jetta wagon soldier merrily on:

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm not surprised that the Golf would no longer be offered. Hatchbacks have never been great sellers in the US market. I am disappointed that they may pull the sportswagen. However, my wife says no more VWs, so it doesn't truly matter.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was intrigued by the current drivetrain in the Golf (1.4L, 6 speed manual) and this news made me think...briefly...that I should grab one. But it still runs on the wrong fuel. I think I should just accept that my ALHs will last as long as I want them to and not worry about what's around as replacements.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I'm not surprised that the Golf would no longer be offered. Hatchbacks have never been great sellers in the US market. I am disappointed that they may pull the sportswagen. However, my wife says no more VWs, so it doesn't truly matter.
In this case wagons are even less popular in the US. Now if you start morphing them into a CUV/SUV like Subaru has been doing then you might still sell them.

When was the last Passat wagon sold in the US? Was it in 2010 or before?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We looked at the Passat wagen in 07. Didn't buy it since it wasn't offered with a diesel engine. Not sure how much longer it was offered on market after that.

oilhammer

TDI
We looked at the Passat wagen in 07. Didn't buy it since it wasn't offered with a diesel engine. Not sure how much longer it was offered on market after that.
B6 Passat was sold here from 2006 to 2010. There were no 2011 Passats here, the NMS showed up in 2012, and of course no wagon version on the NMS.

The B6 was actually not a bad car, although it was a return to the Golf-based layout (A5, albeit obviously much larger). Problem is, the engines offered for the US market after middle 2008 were a choice of crap or worse than crap. And no diesels.

I've often thought a nice clean B6 wagon would have been a great candidate for a TDI conversion. They were sold with manuals, and even a 4mo option. They also have more interior volume than many Stupid Useless Vehicles, including the T'reg.

Lots of them go to the crusher for failed engines. :(

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I was behind a recent CC at a light the other night. I had never looked at them much, not being in the market for a new anything. But I thought it was a very nice look for the back end of a car. Then it turned the corner and I got a look at the side, and ...
... No offense to anyone but, their sedans are so...blah...
It is a sad thing when you see yet another possible source of joie de vie sink into a sea of blase'.

Sigh...

PH

oilhammer

TDI
The CC (which is mechanically the same as the B6 Passat) was never anything that looked good to me. Reminds me of those butt ugly CLS MBs (which are essentially an E-class with a similar birth defect).

But, styling aside, the CC is AWFUL for ingress/egress. I have to fold myself in half to get in the car, the seats are buckets that are a wee bit too tight for me, but not quite as bad as the GTI's, but the next thing the CC is bad about is it uses those stupid frameless windows front AND rear. Which means they "dip" every single time you get in and out. Every. Single. Time. All four. And, in addition to the extra wear that feature inflicts on already fragile VAG power window regulators, they are controlled by the equally fragile door latch switches. And when those (when, not if) quit working correctly, the window will not dip, and it can catch in the body... which can cause them to hang up, tear the weatherstrip, and in some cases shatter in your face. :rolleyes:

(BTW, New Beetle convertibles, and ALL 2012+ Beetles are like this, as well as TTs and the A4/A5 Audi cabriolets... but I have only ever run across the CCs shatter the windows).

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I was intrigued by the current drivetrain in the Golf (1.4L, 6 speed manual) and this news made me think...briefly...that I should grab one. But it still runs on the wrong fuel.
True, the 1.4/turbo runs on the wrong fuel.

(Howsomever, it do run good).

Fuelly shows my 1.4 at just under 40 MPG for circa 21,000 miles of mixed driving

ez

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I was intrigued by the current drivetrain in the Golf (1.4L, 6 speed manual) and this news made me think...briefly...that I should grab one. But it still runs on the wrong fuel. I think I should just accept that my ALHs will last as long as I want them to and not worry about what's around as replacements.
wait a couple years, buy one cheap with a roached engine and dump an ALH in it :p

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yes, but why would I do that when I have a diesel GSW sitting in my garage? This is the stupid conversation I have with myself occasionally. I've accepted that it's most likely I'll drive an ALH (probably IBW) for the rest of my life.